Better bulbs for Mk3 headlights.

I have fitted the Phillips bulbs, they are better than standard, but still disappointing.

I then tried one H7R HID conversion units, light output is so much better, beam pattern did not appear to be distorted as sometimes happens with HID conversion kits. However, bulb warning light was triggered and light started flickering about two minutes of switching on.

Ballast was not Canbus compatible. Fitted a (supposed) Canbus ballast, light illuminated ok without engine running, started engine and light went out almost straight away, switched off lights, then switched them on again, light flashed on the went off almost immediately, so the Canbus ballast I had does not work.

I may try a brand new Canbus ballast to see how this works, as I'm still disappointed in the halogen lights, especially after having had bi xenon so on my Leon FR

I've gone down this route as well and fitted H7R HID, had to use VCDs to to code the car into thinking it had LED dipped beams instead, no other option seems to work and there are no options for xenon in the coding. Lights now stay on and look amazing but have recently discovered if i switch on my main beams all my lights go out. Have to turn everything off and then back on again to get the HIDs to come back on again, little scary when your doing 60MPH in total darkness.

Let me know how you get on or if you find a solution

I've gone down this route as well and fitted H7R HID, had to use VCDs to to code the car into thinking it had LED dipped beams instead, no other option seems to work and there are no options for xenon in the coding. Lights now stay on and look amazing but have recently discovered if i switch on my main beams all my lights go out. Have to turn everything off and then back on again to get the HIDs to come back on again, little scary when your doing 60MPH in total darkness.

Let me know how you get on or if you find a solution

That's really strange considering the Octavia doesn't come with LED lights from the factory! Do you think that's a coding error, or more to do with a fault with the HID's in the car? I tried to put Canbus safe kit in my Mazda 6, but they only ran at about half the power they should have, and just kept getting dimmer over the next few days after...back to HIDS4U they went!

Hope you get sorted :thumbup:

That's really strange considering the Octavia doesn't come with LED lights from the factory! Do you think that's a coding error, or more to do with a fault with the HID's in the car? I tried to put Canbus safe kit in my Mazda 6, but they only ran at about half the power they should have, and just kept getting dimmer over the next few days after...back to HIDS4U they went!

Hope you get sorted :thumbup:

yeah i did think that was strange, but I'm not complaining as everything seems to be working fine so long as i don't switch on my main beams, flashing the main beams causes no problems. Will have another play with VCDs over the next coming days to see if there are any other options. 

I don't thinks its a coding issue or any fault with the HID unit, there simply isn't an option to retrofit HIDs like there was on the MK2 octavia with the installed controller.

Im not sure how the Mazdas electronics function but on the octavia you can adjust the brightness of most of the bulbs (assume these take affect if you have LEDs fitted)

Think there are 650 adaptation channels just for the exterior lights alone but their all in german, little hesitant to start messing with them as i don't want to screw things up too badly.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used HID kits in the past (see my previous posts) but I'm having trouble on the Octavia. I was thinking a new LED set would be better, but was asking if anyone has any experience of them before I trial led them

I do not have access to VCDS so am hoping to find a decent solution to the poor headlights without having to resort to VCDS.

I have H7R Hids fitted on mine . You need to use AC Ballasts and get them coded to VCDS... Had them on for a while now no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

would you mind telling me how you coded them? what adaptations did you use?

@Waqar - what bulbs did you fit to your main beams H15 and what bulbs did you fit to your headlights H7?

I've had a look through the coding and we coded the Main Beams/DRLs as LED Abblenclicht/LED Lichtmodul, but your headlights are just standard Abblendlicht - I didn't make any changes to those.

yeah i did think that was strange, but I'm not complaining as everything seems to be working fine so long as i don't switch on my main beams, flashing the main beams causes no problems. Will have another play with VCDs over the next coming days to see if there are any other options. 

I don't thinks its a coding issue or any fault with the HID unit, there simply isn't an option to retrofit HIDs like there was on the MK2 octavia with the installed controller.

Im not sure how the Mazdas electronics function but on the octavia you can adjust the brightness of most of the bulbs (assume these take affect if you have LEDs fitted)

Think there are 650 adaptation channels just for the exterior lights alone but their all in german, little hesitant to start messing with them as i don't want to screw things up too badly.

Can you let me know what you changed and I might be able to help :)

EDIT: PM me an adaptation map of 09 - I have some ideas ref the main beams - the general idea would be to keep the headlights on with main beam :)

• Like 1

@Waqar - what bulbs did you fit to your main beams H15 and what bulbs did you fit to your headlights H7?

I've had a look through the coding and we coded the Main Beams/DRLs as LED Abblenclicht/LED Lichtmodul, but your headlights are just standard Abblendlicht - I didn't make any changes to those.

I fitted led H15 and Hr7 Hids main beam.

Ok, so that means your HIDs didn't throw any errors as I haven't recoded those, but your LED main beams did need coding.

Might be an idea to post a link to the ones you bought as they work a treat :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Edited by andyvee

Ok, so that means your HIDs didn't throw any errors as I haven't recoded those, but your LED main beams did need coding.

Might be an idea to post a link to the ones you bought as they work a treat :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Here's the link for bulbs...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/331396578106

• Like 1

Here's the link for bulbs...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/331396578106

Here's the link for Ballasts...

These are AC Ballasts, they work better than the DC Ballasts as they don't flicker.

I quoted in a previous post that mine were non canbus but they are canbus...

• Like 1

I tried those but you could not see anything in front of you, there is hardly any light projecting ahead...

So, the working solution seems to be AC Digital CANBUS Ballasts and then no re-coding is needed. Waqar has had these fitted for some time now without any issues - I recoded his LED lights in April I think.

I wouldn't mind having a go at coding non-CANBUS ballasts if anyone is brave enough to try :)

So if I change the ballast to a Digital AC Canbus ballast, my dipped beam will work without coding?

I looked on the Octavia 2 section, one post suggests very strongly that a canbus ballast and or warning cancellers will damage the controller. Are we certain the same thing will not happen on an Octavia 3?  I'd hate to cause damage to the control system on my car.