Better bulbs for Mk3 headlights.

The poor headlights became very apparent the other night, a twisty B road with no curb or street lights and a light drizzle. Could hardly see the mud at the roadside.

Okay, I cannot code anything, no VCDS. So need a plug and play improvement that will not screw up the Light Assist or the electrics, will not have splatter that may affect oncoming vehicles and will be legal and okay with the plastic lenses.

I may well replace all the front lights so keeping the colours similar would be an advantage but if I just replace the Main Dipped then that would not matter.

Looks like, reading these posts, the contenders could be H7 Osram NightBreaker Unlimted, H7 Philips X-Treme Vision + 130% or MTEC Super White-Pure White 4200K. Any others to consider?

There is a link to a set of HID's from Ebay but the sellers listing states that the one linked to is not suitable for a 2015 Octavia, is there an HID Plug and Play set that fits my needs?

AJW 1100

Have a look at post 127, you will see that I have sucessfully fitted an HID kit to the dipped beam, the results are amazing. I cannot take credit for this I copied 1600cr he did the conversion first.

I was a little sceptical as I tried various Canbus & non Canbus ballasts,( I have a few from previous cars) without success, but the kit 1600cr and I used does work well with no glare and no warning lights!

I am still actively looking for a solution for my main beam as the current H15 bulbs are 5hite. I suspect I will bite the bullet and buy an HID kit.

Regards fog lights, the ones on my Scout are absolutely useless! They are fitted with a 35w H8 bulb, the beam ends about 2 metres in front of the car and illuminates only the area of road obscured by the bonnet!

I have tried unsuccessfully to remove the trim above the Scout fog light, I suspect there may be a beam levelling screw in here. I'm also contemplating trying an H9 65w bulb to get a brighter light, not sure if this will affect Canbus or not.

I am still actively looking for a solution for my main beam as the current H15 bulbs are 5hite. I suspect I will bite the bullet and buy an HID kit.

Regards fog lights, the ones on my Scout are absolutely useless! They are fitted with a 35w H8 bulb, the beam ends about 2 metres in front of the car and illuminates only the area of road obscured by the bonnet!

I have tried unsuccessfully to remove the trim above the Scout fog light, I suspect there may be a beam levelling screw in here. I'm also contemplating trying an H9 65w bulb to get a brighter light, not sure if this will affect Canbus or not.

Check my post about the H8 LED headlights I purchased:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/382909-any-experience-of-these-bulbs/?hl=%2Bthese+%2Bbulbs#entry4479714

AJW 1100

Have a look at post 127, you will see that I have sucessfully fitted an HID kit to the dipped beam, the results are amazing. I cannot take credit for this I copied 1600cr he did the conversion first.

I was a little sceptical as I tried various Canbus & non Canbus ballasts,( I have a few from previous cars) without success, but the kit 1600cr and I used does work well with no glare and no warning lights!

Thanks R22JGB. I did try that link and entered my car details in but the message came up it was not suitable for my car, a  2015 1.4TSI 5E5 Estate. I have emailed the supplier to see why. I am quite DIY minded having built a kit car in the 90's but am totally lost with todays machines, HID's Cancus etc is a whole new world of confusion!

I did have a look at your photos but will need to have a good look under the bonnet, I guess the Scout will be different to my layout but not too dissimilar  I hope. I note your comment regarding 1600cr is there a link to that installation?

Hi aki78, 

Are the fogs easily accessible / easy to change bulbs? Thinking of upgrading mine as they aren't good at all!

johnrowley, on 11 Jan 2016 - 21:38, said:

yes partially agree I suppose but I live up on the moors, narrow roads and not many streetlights!

You can modify the lugs on H11 to fit H15 though me ......

Hey Tmwna how easy is that ?

johnrowley, on 11 Jan 2016 - 21:38, said:

yes partially agree I suppose but I live up on the moors, narrow roads and not many streetlights!

You can modify the lugs on H11 to fit H15 though me ......

Hey Tmwna how easy is that ?

Thanks R22JGB. I did try that link and entered my car details in but the message came up it was not suitable for my car, a  2015 1.4TSI 5E5 Estate. I have emailed the supplier to see why. I am quite DIY minded having built a kit car in the 90's but am totally lost with todays machines, HID's Cancus etc is a whole new world of confusion!

I did have a look at your photos but will need to have a good look under the bonnet, I guess the Scout will be different to my layout but not too dissimilar  I hope. I note your comment regarding 1600cr is there a link to that installation?

Hi ajw1100

I have noticed that none of the sites where you enter the car details work for my Skoda despite what bit of kit I'm looking for.

Scout is only different on the front bumper & fog lights, the headlight arrangement is the same so I'm certain the kit I used will fit and work well. When I first got the car I tried with some old HID kits I had in my garage but could not get them to work without flickering, switching off, or bringing up the warning light. 1600cr tried the kit, he found no problems, so I followed suit. Some other kits may need VCDS recoding, I don't have this facility so went for the kit 1600cr recommended. Hope this helps.

Thanks R22JGB. As the eBay website came up with  the message: "This item does not fit Skoda Octavia 2015 5E5 [2012-2015] Estate 1.4 TSI."  I emailed them as below.

HI. I am looking to upgrade the dipped and maybe mains on my car but when entering details it states:
"This item does not fit Skoda Octavia 2015 5E5 [2012-2015] Estate 1.4 TSI."

I need a kit that is Plug & Play, legal. will not damage plastic lenses, is reliable and will not cause error messages on the OBC. What do you suggest and do they come with instructions?

Their reply was:

"Many thanks for getting in touch.

No HID kit is legal however it is not a criminal offence to have them installed.

Our HID kits are very high quality and will not will not cause any issues e.g discolouring of reflectors etc.

Kind Regards

***** "

No mention or confirmation of whether that kit was in fact suitable, or if it had instructions, no suggestions or info whether they could supply a main beam set, only that it was not legal, I can only assume that helpful customer service is low on their list of priorities!

I will pursue the replacement bulb route for the time being and if that seems enough of an improvement it will be much simpler. I can always go the HID route at a later date. I am somewhat confused in that if they are not legal by definition they are illegal? I wonder if fitting them may invalidate your insurance. More questions to ask before I take that route.

I think contacting a company like HID Direct for advice on the right kit for you would be the best option, their customer service is excellent.

HID kits are not 'type' approved so are not 'road' legal. Same as some filament upgrade bulbs are not road legal. This doesn't make it an offence to have them 'installed' but may constitute an offence if being used. It's all in the wording, the seller is being very non committal and quite unhelpful really. The discussions about legalities and MOT law have been to death, at the end of the day it comes down to the testers/yours/police interpretation at that moment in time. As for insurance, I have no clue as I have never declared them, I go on the premise that any aftermarket bulb be it HID or Halogen can be seen as an upgrade, same as aftermarket tyres, engine oil, screen wash etc. so I'm not going to bother the insurance company for that. I may be way off the mark but I will continue to live in ignorant bliss until proven otherwise :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks R22JGB. As the eBay website came up with  the message: "This item does not fit Skoda Octavia 2015 5E5 [2012-2015] Estate 1.4 TSI."  I emailed them as below.

HI. I am looking to upgrade the dipped and maybe mains on my car but when entering details it states:

"This item does not fit Skoda Octavia 2015 5E5 [2012-2015] Estate 1.4 TSI."

I need a kit that is Plug & Play, legal. will not damage plastic lenses, is reliable and will not cause error messages on the OBC. What do you suggest and do they come with instructions?

Their reply was:

"Many thanks for getting in touch.

No HID kit is legal however it is not a criminal offence to have them installed.

Our HID kits are very high quality and will not will not cause any issues e.g discolouring of reflectors etc.

Kind Regards

***** "

No mention or confirmation of whether that kit was in fact suitable, or if it had instructions, no suggestions or info whether they could supply a main beam set, only that it was not legal, I can only assume that helpful customer service is low on their list of priorities!

I will pursue the replacement bulb route for the time being and if that seems enough of an improvement it will be much simpler. I can always go the HID route at a later date. I am somewhat confused in that if they are not legal by definition they are illegal? I wonder if fitting them may invalidate your insurance. More questions to ask before I take that route.

You'll find a lot of the "bulbs" available to buy are not road legal either.

Typically they are labelled "styling" bulbs.

They're not illegal to purchase or fit but they shouldn't be used on a public highway.

Judging by the amount of these i see fitted in cars driving around the local plod don't care that much one way or the other.

It would be interesting to know where "mrs miggins" stood if she bought a car second hand with these sort of bulbs installed and got stopped.

Edited by AlleyCat`

You'll find a lot of the "bulbs" available to buy are not road legal either.

Typically they are labelled "styling" bulbs.

They're not illegal to purchase or fit but they shouldn't be used on a public highway.

Judging by the amount of these i see fitted in cars driving around the local plod don't care that much one way or the other.

It would be interesting to know where "mrs miggins" stood if she bought a car second hand with these sort of bulbs installed and got stopped.

Yes, I noted that some are shown as 'Styling' or 'Performance' 'Off Road Only' or similar, there are also some shown as 'Street Legal' I will go for those, which I think my Upgrade Bulb choices were, I reckon most anything will be better than standard fit.

Like the 'Mossie' by the way :thumbup:

Edited by ajw1100