Dacia doing advertising right.

Dr Zoidberg

If you can put your opinions of the cars aside for a while, have a look at this.

There's a Dacia equivalent of Briskoda, who seem to get on really well with the manufacturer, so much that they are sending out mail shots actively promoting an owner's club meeting where you can get a free test drive round Knockhill.
Now that's how to grow brand loyalty. I know Skoda's opinions of us have varied over the years, but I can't ever see them encouraging people to turn up at one of our meets.

post-472-0-33482400-1411571685_thumb.png

• Like 2

A cheap, practical, no-nonsense car made from hand-me-down parts, initially mocked, then turned into a great success as people realise they're actually quite good and that you don't need a fancy badge on the front? A very familiar sounding story :)

• Like 4

A cheap, practical, no-nonsense car made from hand-me-down parts, initially mocked, then turned into a great success as people realise they're actually quite good and that you don't need a fancy badge on the front? A very familiar sounding story :)

I'd rather knocked down VAG parts than old Renault stuff, mind  :D

VAG know how to do long term customer service, whereas Renault and Dacia share their UK customer services, which have been dreadful in my own experience.

The NCAP ratings are not great either....take a look at the test for the Sandero; the A-pillars collapse-meaning another 5mph and the shell would completely fail-not good enough in 2014.

The best models, the Dokker (Berlingo for £7k) and Lodgy (5 or 7 seat MPV for £9-13k) don't come to the UK unfortunately.

Their next UK launch, the City (current FWD Twingo) is expected to be sub £5k, which may be worth a look.

I love the cars, esp the Stepway, but don't have any brand respect for Renault at all (whereas most early Skoda owners would have respect for VW).

Air-con is only available on top-spec Laureate models, too-rather than as an option on low-mid spec which kills it for me over and above poor crash protection.

Fair play to them for taking the market by storm though-great sales results across Europe!

I wish they would just bring over the Dokker and Lodgy, launch the City at under 5k, improve NCAP ratings on the next released models and offer air-con as an option.

Definitely sounds good although it seems a bit odd to take a Dacia onto the Knockhill race track?  I'm not knocking the brand in any way, that just doesn't seem to be their sort of thing - an off road route on the 4x4 they have would make more sense.

I actually thought this topic was going to be about the fact they don't really advertise or if they do it's not something I'm that aware of yet people seem to know the brand quite all already which is impressive.  

John

Dacia are going to be selling a 'RS' model in other countries but not the UK.

& as it says on the Dacia Forum, 'we will be there with a Couple of Shiny cars'.

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/moscow-motor-show/dacia-sandero-rs-performance-hatch-works

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/first-look-dacia-duster

Edited by goneoffSKi

Alot of the reason i reckon people know the brand in uk and ROI before they kinda got here is all the reruns of Top Gear,

with James May announcing details about the Sandero - to the response of "noone cares", followed by much cheering when it was announced it was coming...

including the episode in Romania when May got one, and a lorry "accidentally" crashed into it...

I like the look of them - just, that Renault thing in my mind too.... I thought initally it was Nissan hand me downs - not terrible - but...... mmmm Renault's left overs????

Alot of the reason i reckon people know the brand in uk and ROI before they kinda got here is all the reruns of Top Gear,

with James May announcing details about the Sandero - to the response of "noone cares", followed by much cheering when it was announced it was coming...

including the episode in Romania when May got one, and a lorry "accidentally" crashed into it...

I like the look of them - just, that Renault thing in my mind too.... I thought initally it was Nissan hand me downs - not terrible - but...... mmmm Renault's left overs????

Renault and nissan share a lot of their tech. I've had two laguna's both of which were faultless, potty my Octavian weren't the same. That said, I wouldn't have a Dacia either but purely because of the crash test results, at least the laguna's were best in class.

The Dacia Sandero is based on the MK2 Clio so the same as what I've just sold and I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole if that running gear is involved!

The thing i dont understand is the engines they use. Where do they come from?

They cant be too old because of emissions regulations that are getting tougher and tougher, can they?

I am still wondering how the Morgan 3 wheeler manages to pass modern crash tests.

Of course, there is no way Morgan will submit one for NCAP tests.

It doesn't have to, firstly because it is built by a "small volume manufacturer" and secondly because it's a tricycle, not a car, and a therefore falls under motorcycle legislation, for which NCAP doesn't apply.

• Like 2

Yeah, safety is Dacia's biggest issue, I think. However, given the number of them I see about and that people also do things buy the cheapest tyres they can, it doesn't seem to be hurting sales any.

It's often because that as it is a cheap car, it is still safer than the car they are trading in which is older, hence they do not see it as an issue.

On one test on the Lodgy, the floor tore away from the welds!

A friend here in Spain bought one about a year ago, it's been brilliant.

He's driven up to Switzerland in it twice, done a touring holiday in France achieved something knocking on 70mpg and his respect of it is growing by the week. Got to say as a passenger it's a good smooth ride.

His wife was telling me, she does tend to exaggerate, that 30% of all new cars registered in France last year were Dacias........get ready for the invasion

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

It doesn't have to, firstly because it is built by a "small volume manufacturer" and secondly because it a tricycle, not a car, and a therefore falls under motorcycle legislation, for which NCAP doesn't apply.

That makes sense.

From experience. Most motorcycles perform in a very similar way during a smash

A friend here in Spain bought one about a year ago, it's been brilliant.

He's driven up to Switzerland in it twice, done a touring holiday in France achieved something knocking on 70mpg and his respect of it is growing by the week. Got to say as a passenger it's a good smooth ride.

His wife was telling me, she does tend to exaggerate, that 30% of all new cars registered in France last year were Dacias........get ready for the invasion

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

That's because every time they die in a crash, they have to buy a new one.