Changing from Avensis Tourer to Octavia Estate....

Hi All.

I am seriously thinking of changing from my 2011 Avensis Tourer 1.8 Petrol T27 and getting an Octavia 1.4TSI 140 Estate, possibly an SE with options  or Elegance with less options! The maths comparison will probably decide the outcome! It seems that the Elegance may offer better value…. I do not do many miles now (around 5-6k)  being retired but want an estate, petrol with somewhat more ‘zip’ than the Avensis (In most areas a very competent car with 5yr warranty but rather lacklustre performance espcially overtaking 50-70).

I’ve been making a few enquires as to possible discounts and it seems that around 10.7% is around the norm. I live in North London (Herts) and do not mind travelling. My Passat SEL 170 Diesel was purchased through DTD and collected from the Midlands and I only got rid of because the DPF kept filling due to low mileage once I finished work. I have seen mention of ‘Griffin’ on a few posts, who are they? Anyone got a link?

Once I have confirmed my spec I will contact my local dealer and see what they can offer. If I can get around a 10%+ discount off the car and options then that would be better than Skoda’s current offer of 0% and servicing? Never too good at doing these equations, what do you reckon? Or is the 0% on the dealers discounted price? That would be brilliant!

Many thanks.

Alan.

Check out Honest John's website. He lists all the broker prices and as long as you make sure it's an apples to apples comparison you can just print off the best price and take it to you local dealer, "beat that" style (well, match at any rate). I was looking in May and the discounts were generally around 17-18%.

Just beware that some of the broker's listed still offer pre-reg cars, so make sure you're looking at a genuine new, un-registered vehicle that will come directly from a Skoda dealer (which is the vast majority I think).

Of course, you won't get that discount with the 0% finance, but there are finance deals listed on Honest John's site as well.

. I have seen mention of ‘Griffin’ on a few posts, who are they? Anyone got a link?.

Www.griffintaxfree.com - these might be the guys, however they only cater for British Forces personnel and the Police etc. if you are serving or are ex forces you can approach them for a price.

Mind that they are brokers and sell multiple makes so can't give the service you would get from a dealer.

Try  www.carwow.co.uk

Simple idea - simply spec your car on the site, and they send it to dealers for a quote. They reply to you within 24hrs with their quote.

Excellent site. Even though I didn't go on to use one of the dealers that quoted, I new exactly what price my car should be when I went to my local dealer. 

Thanks. I am not eligable for Griffin then!

I have tried 'carwow' and of the 4 dealers who responded one was around 5% and the others a tad over 10%. I will have another look at honest Johns though.

I do not need to have 0% finance but would prefer to use someone else's money instead of my own :D.

I should be dealing with two sections, the Skoda dealer who I negotiate the price with and Skoda who offers the finance, I would have thought that it was the car that was the criteria not the price that counts. The 0% offer on the Skoda webpage does not state it is only available when sold at list price, that would be illegal wouldn't it?

They do show examples of repayments base on the list price as a guide. Not to be totally out done the Mrs is now thinking about getting a Rapid :x two new cars on the drive would P our neighbours off nicely.

Iz ther a spellll chkr on this site availible??

The 0% finance eats into the discount that you can get because the dealer effectively has to stump up the difference to Skoda (VW) finance.

carwow is good for finding a price if you want finance, otherwise if you have the cash or other finance options then try drivethedeal or orangewheels as they can generally get better prices for cash buyers.

Hi All.

I am seriously thinking of changing from my 2011 Avensis Tourer 1.8 Petrol T27 and getting an Octavia 1.4TSI 140 Estate, possibly an SE with options  or Elegance with less options! The maths comparison will probably decide the outcome! It seems that the Elegance may offer better value…. I do not do many miles now (around 5-6k)  being retired but want an estate, petrol with somewhat more ‘zip’ than the Avensis (In most areas a very competent car with 5yr warranty but rather lacklustre performance espcially overtaking 50-70).

I’ve been making a few enquires as to possible discounts and it seems that around 10.7% is around the norm. I live in North London (Herts) and do not mind travelling. My Passat SEL 170 Diesel was purchased through DTD and collected from the Midlands and I only got rid of because the DPF kept filling due to low mileage once I finished work. I have seen mention of ‘Griffin’ on a few posts, who are they? Anyone got a link?

Once I have confirmed my spec I will contact my local dealer and see what they can offer. If I can get around a 10%+ discount off the car and options then that would be better than Skoda’s current offer of 0% and servicing? Never too good at doing these equations, what do you reckon? Or is the 0% on the dealers discounted price? That would be brilliant!

Many thanks.

Alan.

Was the 170 diesel engine in the Passat you had, the PD or CR version?

Hi.

The SEL170 had the CR Engine and funnily enough was purchased through DriveTheDeal with no problems at all.

Went to our local dealer today to see the Octavia, they did not have a 1.4Tsi for my to try, however the Mrs sort of fancied the new Rapid Sportback 1.4 Tsi DSG, so we had a go in that instead! I've never been too keen on 'Auto's but the DSG seemed a good and smooth system. I could be swayed........... :think: :happy:

Looks like it maybe two sometime soon........

The dealer has a 1.4Tsi Octavia Estate on order so as soon as that arrives I can try it.

Edited by ajw1100

Just remembered.

Skoda CR phoned me this morning regarding a few ? I emailed. But during the conversation he said that Front Brake Assist would be a standard fitting on Elegance Octavia's from week 45 (He said we are in week 40 today) He also said that Adaptive Cruise Control would also be available as an option at a cost of £450.

• Like 1

Welcome to Briskoda

Call some more northern dealers if you don't mind a little travel/hassle to save £££

Rainworth Mansfield or DMKeith Leeds are worth a call. Nothing to lose other than two phone calls. Ask to speak to the dealer principle as in my experience the sales staff are not empowered to make deals and are trying to make their commission rather than the best deal for you.

My present car the salesman said he could not do for my price. Its now on my drive for my price :angel:

Thanks for the suggestion, I will see what I can get locally as this may give benefits if there are problems (hopefully not!)

Just remembered.

Skoda CR phoned me this morning regarding a few ? I emailed. But during the conversation he said that Front Brake Assist would be a standard fitting on Elegance Octavia's from week 45 (He said we are in week 40 today) He also said that Adaptive Cruise Control would also be available as an option at a cost of £450.

Nice - so the half year spec changes are starting to become known. The return of Front Assist is long overdue, as well as ACC as an option.

Just remembered.

I found out today mine is provisional build week 49 and ACC is very tempting. No doubt you wonderful people on here will keep me up to date :-)

Dilemma.

SUK have the car in stock in the colour I like - Race Blue - but not with Sunset Glass. Of course this car will also not have the 'Front Assist' so I suppose you could say it is an older model (but the current model at the moment). The dealer has offered a deal on the car and with a fair PX value on the Avensis. I could get a larger % discount on the car elsewhere but then have the hassle of selling the Avensis privately.

Or I order a new one with the option, this will then have Front Assist as standard, there is no urgent reason to change now, later would be fine, not sure how long the wait will be but if it arrives in Jan then at least I will have what I want and it will be a 2015 model. Of course the Avensis will be older and worth less than today..........

Edited by ajw1100

The one they have now is a 2015 model, the ones built after week 45 are 2015.5 models.

Ask them for a trade in on yours against a factory order and get them to confirm 100% that Front Assist will be standard fitment, and then you can make your mind up.

You could always use it as a bargaining tool as well, tell them you want more discount on the 2015 model as in 4 weeks time the spec gets better so you are doing them a favour by taking an 'old spec' car off of their hands.

Good point, still in two minds, in over 40 years of driving I have yet to run into the back of someone at a junction, mind you two drivers have done so to my wife..........

Well, went to the dealer again today, they did not have a 1.4TSG to try so I drove a 2.0TDi DSG which I found a little a bit 'lazy' certainly not as sprightly as the Rapid Spaceback 1.4Tsi DSG I drove a couple of days ago. Anyway the dealer had not mentioned the Front assist or ACC  on the OctaviaI until I mentioned it, they seemed a little suprised I knew about them, they again suggested I ordered the car Skoda had in stock but I held out as we were running out of time, how's this - I went in to prossibly purchase the Octavia and the wife purchased a Rapid Spaceback!

Anyway, I now find that not only is Front Assist standard but so is XDS Diff Lock, funny the dealer never mentioned that either............. I will insist on trying a 1.4Tsi before I decide, I found the steering much heavier on the Octavia than the Avensis and the Avensis Sat Nav I think is superior to the Amundsen....... Get it sorted out soon I hope. Going back again tomorrow.

Made the same swap last february, except my Avensis was a 2009 model...no regrets so far. Driven some 8500 miles including lengthy sprint to northern Finland. With summer tires the car is more relaxing to drive than Avensis, with winter tyres there is a bit of pull. As a music lover I find even the standard Bolero with SD and Bluetooth audio options quite nice...no more CD:s ;)

I am sure there will be no problems but I do not want to shell out over £20k and hope I will like it :sweat: . There does not seem to be a dealer within spitting reasonable distance that has an Octavia 1.4Tsi DSG availble to test drive, preferably Elegance Estate and anyway I would like to buy from my local dealer where we bought the Rapid Spaceback  today so another dealer may not appreciate being 'used' in this way.

I think SUK Head Office is in Milton Keynes and one member of staff must have one!!. They are just up the M1 so not too far away, perhaps they might be able to oblige with a test drive or advise on where I can try one without obligation. I am on Hols next week so will try them on my return.

Edited by ajw1100