Replacing the Standard Stereo

Hi All,

I want to replace the standard stereo in my car with an aftermarket one. I think I know what I'm doing but it won't hurt to double check!

I am buying this stereo: http://www.carsoundsandsecurity.co.uk/store/deh-x5700bt/

1. I believe that an ISO adaptor is not required, and the stereo should work with the existing connector
  2. I may have to switch two cables (live and switched live) for this to work properly.
  3. Some people fit aerial boosters, but I am led to believe that this is only necessary for AM stations?

Correct? Anything I've missed?

Thanks!

1. The Skoda power leads are the wrong way round to standard, so unless the HU an external loom where you can swap the supplies then you'll lose the memory everytime you remove the key. Simple solution in this case is to buy the appropriate ISO adapter, Autoleads sell one for the Octavia MK1.

2. The MK1 Octavia uses K line diagnostics and the car talks to the current stereo using one of the pins on the ISO, you need to isolate this pin by either disconnecting it or using the Autoleads adapter. Whilst no harm will come to the car in normal use if left connected, should anyone plug a diagnostic cable or reader into the OBD port to read any faults then you could cause irreversible damage to the OBD adapter or code reader. Reason for that is that the pin used on the factory unit is typically used as a voltage output on an aftermarket unit, so where the code reader expects diagnostic data its actually getting voltage.

3. Ariel booster is for AM and FM, if you have good FM reception then you may get away without it, but rural areas will see weaker reception. The aftermarket headunit cannot power the cars own amplifier in the base of the aerial. You may find after swapping the FM reception is noticably poorer and weaker stations non existent. Without a booster you'll not get a thing on AM (MW/LW).

1. The Skoda power leads are the wrong way round to standard, so unless the HU an external loom where you can swap the supplies then you'll lose the memory everytime you remove the key. Simple solution in this case is to buy the appropriate ISO adapter, Autoleads sell one for the Octavia MK1.

2. The MK1 Octavia uses K line diagnostics and the car talks to the current stereo using one of the pins on the ISO, you need to isolate this pin by either disconnecting it or using the Autoleads adapter. Whilst no harm will come to the car in normal use if left connected, should anyone plug a diagnostic cable or reader into the OBD port to read any faults then you could cause irreversible damage to the OBD adapter or code reader. Reason for that is that the pin used on the factory unit is typically used as a voltage output on an aftermarket unit, so where the code reader expects diagnostic data its actually getting voltage.

3. Ariel booster is for AM and FM, if you have good FM reception then you may get away without it, but rural areas will see weaker reception. The aftermarket headunit cannot power the cars own amplifier in the base of the aerial. You may find after swapping the FM reception is noticably poorer and weaker stations non existent. Without a booster you'll not get a thing on AM (MW/LW).

Brilliant, thanks for the reply. 

I'll make sure to get an autoleads adapter and see how I get on with the FM reception.

Ok. 

I have replaced my stereo now, there are a few issues:

I need an adaptor for the aerial. I may as well get a power injector, will this one work? http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/car-audio/stereo-fitting-accessories/autoleads-audi-aerial-adaptor-pc5-52

The other issue is that the permanent and switched lives are the wrong way around. I'm using this harness adaptor - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400674530742?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

How difficult is it to swap the wires? Can you pull them out of the connector block and swap over, or do they have to be cut, stripped and joined? I may just see if somebody at halfords will do this, I don't fancy butchering my stereo wires!

Update:

Wires are now swapped around and working a treat.

The only remaining issues are the aerial adaptor and the K-Line

On the picture below of my ISO adaptor, is the blue floating cable the power source for the aerial adaptor?

Is the K-Line cable visible on this picture? and if so which should be cut?

gPM5BU8.jpg

Thanks

Did ur pioneer harness not plug direct into octy bud ?

It does yes, but suffered the same problem of forgetting everything with the ignition off. Since the ISO harness has bullet connectors, I've just swapped those over.

So - Aerial adapter power cable into blue floating cable. Got it. Thanks guys!

guys I am planning to change the original music system of my octi lnk 2005 with a sony double din touch screen player. But the dealer told me that I would not be able to use the steering mounted audio controls... is there an adaptor or someting else to enable the controls on the steering?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The headunit loom should have bullet connectors on the red and yellow wires, swap them round

is this 100% a fix? I fitted an aftermarket CD player other day , all looked to fit perfectly then came to the car morning after.......battery dead. Been looking All over and everyone is saying I need to swap the red and yellow wires around. Only problem is now I'm swapped them round but scared of fitting it in fear my battery dies again lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every headunit I've fitted in the last 5+ years has had then.

I'm not sure about the cheapy £50 ones from halfords though, never fitted one

When original fitted the CD player when I turned the ignition off then pulled the key the display still displayed some information but not all. I've swapped the red and yellow wires round and fitted it again and now when I take the key out the display fully goes off and memory works as well. Does this mean it won't be taking power when the cars stood over night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guys I am planning to change the original music system of my octi lnk 2005 with a sony double din touch screen player. But the dealer told me that I would not be able to use the steering mounted audio controls... is there an adaptor or someting else to enable the controls on the steering?

Hi guys... just putting it again as I need your help guys...

Thanks

Steering wheel controls will not work with a non VAG group stereo because they use canbus signalling via the can gateway to talk to the stereo, so the dealer is correct. You will also lose the stereo display on the maxidot display within the instrument cluster and the climate control/parking sensor display on the main stereo.

However, if the Sony can work with this then you may have some luck.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Octavia-Mk-2-04-13-Quadlock-CAN-Bus-Stalk-Interface-Adaptor-Lead-Car-Radio-/131242277460

I duno what options, but conects2 do some looms to link in with audio control

Used it on the zaf and the altea

It allows u to still set what u have to and keeps the clock etc

Ive no experience with them on the skuds

U basically have 2 parts, the loom and the patch lead

Sorry i couodnt be more use

• 3 years later...

You may have to cut away part of the original radio plastic support frame at the rear of the aperture to get the unit in. I had to do so to get my Alpine unit in. I assume your new unit is deeper than the original OEM unit?.

Also, you need to secure your radio cage to the surround a bit more securely once you have finished trial fitting, which is why I am assuming the cage is sticking out of the opening.

Edited by kentphil1

Iirc, i had hassle with mine because the looms kept gathering up behind the HU and stopping it from going all the way in. Pull out the cubby under neath and use the space to get a hand in and shove the cables out of the way.

Also,i presume you fitted an inline power booster, as the original hu has it built in, or your fm/am reception will be ****e.

• Administrators

From mine as it'll give you an idea what you're looking at
DoubleDin_DeanVRS20VT.jpg

And as usual here is my video of fitting a single din radio in the Octavia - I found it useful hence my continuous posting of it!