Brand New Citigo - After market Cruise & Parking Sensors?

matty-boy

Hi,

I could do with a bit of advice from you lovely people please....

The mother-in-law just bought a brand new Skoda Citigo Elegance from Blade Skoda in Gloucester. She ordered it with the convenience pack which adds cruise control and parking sensors to the spec. She picked the car up from the dealer just over a week ago.

I had my first look at the car today and found it had AFTER-MARKET cruise control and parking sensors fitted???? What the.....????

Surely this isn't the norm on the Citigo???

So, assuming this is not 'right', what should I do. Obviously a phone call to ask would be a good first move but what if they try and fob me off with some story. I'm wondering if they've actually done something illegal, but I wouldn't know what law/act/whatever to quote.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Matt.

No thats not right. Sounds like they have failed to tick the option for the pack when ordering and have added aftermarket ones. There's no way i would accept that, but it might be hard to reject now if she's used it for a week.

On a side note, ive never come across aftermarket cruise control. Interesting, off to investigate.

Good luck.

I know it's after-market because it is this:-

http://www.h-peters.com/zemco/top/ap900/AP900%20USER%20GUIDE_2011.pdf

With the "CM35" stalk fitted to the steering column just down from the indicator stalk. My Octy has the CC controls ON the indicator stalk which is much more natural.

Also the parking sensors I assume are aftermarket also as the beeping comes from a little white box mounted on the rear left pillar. I guess it would normally come through the hifi like it does on my Octy.

If it were me there is no way I'd have accepted the car like that but unfortunately my mother-in-law was not to know :(

Wow, I wonder how they actually thought that would be acceptable?

Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if it cost them more than the option pack costs to get those fitted.

Its very poor conduct whatever the reasons behind it, if thats their attitude I doubt you'll get far!

id be bringing it back, and lodging a formal complaint to SUK. Obviously, they dealer screwed up and chanced their arm getting after market bits added, hoping/knowing your mother in law wouldnt know the difference....

I assume the aftermarket reversing sensors don't work with the PID unit to display the clearance / proximity of obstructions when reversing? As aftermarket accessories, this will adversely affect resale value and possibly insurance too.

Personally, I would reject the car. The reversing sensor functionality is not as specified in the brochure and thus the car is not as ordered. A quick call to the consumer association is worth a go too.

• Like 2

Wow, now I'm nervous. We are collecting ours from Blades Gloucester on Saturday, that also should have the convenience pack!

Will be doing a thorough check over before driving away, that's for sure! I would definitely kick up a fuss!

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I picked up my new Citigo Elegance from Blade Gloucester just 3 days ago: no problems at all. I'd ordered the Convenience Pack (and the boot riser), and all was fine.

• Like 1

The Reversing sensor module (black) is mounted behind the top of the near side rear wheel arch (boot) and the beep comes from there. If its factory fitted then it will have 3 sensors. the after market ones have 4.

After market parts may invalidate your warranty and would certainly devalue the car when sold.

Check your original paperwork mentioned the convenience pack then go to the dealer and ask what is going on. then contact Skoda UK and complain.

• Like 3

The Reversing sensor module (black) is mounted behind the top of the near side rear wheel arch (boot) and the beep comes from there. If its factory fitted then it will have 3 sensors. the after market ones have 4.

After market parts may invalidate your warranty and would certainly devalue the car when sold.

Check your original paperwork mentioned the convenience pack then go to the dealer and ask what is going on. then contact Skoda UK and complain.

Also aftermarket sensors won't display on the PID screen like the factory one does.

Picked our Citigo up on Saturday from Gloucester. All present and correct including comfort pack. Scratch on the roof by the ariel though...

Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of comms on this!

So here's the deal. As I mentioned in my first post, as soon as I sat in car I saw the cruise and parking sensors were not right. After posting on this excellent forum I called the store and spoke first with Ross the salesman (terrible - is he new or something?) so I spoke to Neil, the manager (not much better).

On the day she placed the order, the Mother-In-Law (MIL) stated to Ross that she wanted a midnight blue Citigo with convenience pack.

Neil said there was one in Germany and they'd get it shipped over. He said the car didn't have the convenience pack fitted but this could be done no problem - at no point did he mention that it wouldn't be the proper Skoda factory fit spec! MIL negotiated a pretty good price.

MIL was due to collect car a few weeks ago on a Friday. On the Thursday (i.e. the DAY BEFORE COLLECTION), Ross mentions that the cruise control will be on a separate stalk. MIL wasn't to know that this was not the norm.

When I called the first time to query the situation, Neil kept banging on about if MIL was prepared to wait 11-12 weeks she could have had factory fit but she'd have never got the deal she did if the car was built to order. That was pretty much his entire argument.

After the call I spoke to the MIL who said she was in no rush for that car whatsoever. If she was told she'd have to wait for factory spec she would have gladly waited, but at no point was this discussed. They obviously just wanted to shift a pre-built car. She also told me that an elderly occupant in the back seat nearly had a heart attack when she put the car in reverse and the reversing speaker went off in her ear! Not good!

I called Neil again some days later and explained that she was not told about the option of waiting or not so he changed his tact and said that at no point did Ross mention that the cruise would be on the indicator stalk or the parking sensors should come through the car hifi and visually on the PID. HA HA HA!!!!! Obviously my retort was that Ross didn't mention that this would NOT be the case!!!!

I used the analogy of buying a brand new Samsung TV, opening the box and finding a One-4-All remote control in the box. It's still functional but not what was expected or advertised and reduces the value of the package.

He went on to say that it was not possible to fit the proper factory fit equipment. I educated him to the fact that this was a load of rubbish. I explained how (relatively) simple it is to fit the replacement stalk, change the ECU and re-code the car. He accused me of being in the motor trade! LOL! Clearly they don't want the expense of doing this.

He asked me what my resolution would be. I answered they should remove the after-market CC and parking sensors and fit the proper equipment as per the original order. He said it can't be done. Rubbish.

To be fair, the MIL is not that fussed about the cruise control but she really doesn't like the parking sensors which I relayed to Neil. He is going to find out if they can connect the parking sensors audio through the car hifi. I don't think this will be an easy job unless they fit the factory unit.

Once again, Neil said he'd call today. No call. This is the 3rd time they've promised to call and have not delivered. The after-sales service is SHOCKING. Also on the day of the order, Ross told the MIL that should could choose the registration plate from a list but they did not deliver on this. She got no choice in the reg plate.

So far no resolution. I'll post a further updated when I have one.

Cheers!

Matt.

Both OEM cruise control and OEM optical parking system can be retrofitted!

OPS retrofit:

http://www.cartrends.dk/seat-mii-orig-pdc/

Cruise control:

Don´t have any pictures, but here in Denmark it can be done (all OEM!) for around £300.

I would have gone mad, if it was my car. I HATE this aftermarket crap, and I hate dealers talking bullsh*t even more.

• Like 1