Electric boot struts.....

Anyone else had any issues with the struts for the electric boot? Mine was in the dealers yesterday for a rattle in the boot which they've found is the struts, they're also leaking quite a bit of oil....

New ones ordered but they're on back order :(

mines been fine but they do have a shimmer of oil on he inner bit you can see when you have the boot open.

I did clean it once but then they squeeked so Ive left it like that since and theyve been fine

Just read this thread and went out to check ours.

The car has just hit 7089 miles.

Oil on both struts - the nearside being the worst.

Last weekend I washed the car and I always wipe the struts with a damp cloth. There was no oil on them then. This will be the first fault we've had.

Yeah probably. The dealer principle, Steve Cross is big on customer service. If I'm not happy he wants to know. But when I ring up and say the struts are leaking oil - it's pretty much a foregone conclusion.

hmm.  I had another look at mine and the "sheen" of oil I mentioned is now more of a slick with globules of oil in it!  Looks like it will need looking at too but handily Im 400 miles away from a service

• Like 1

Checked my new struts this morning. There is a fine sheen of oil on one. I rang up and the technician said it was silicone grease from when he installed them. Wipe it off and it'll be fine. I said I'd monitor it....

They're date stamped 06/10/2014.

Checked my new struts this morning. There is a fine sheen of oil on one. I rang up and the technician said it was silicone grease from when he installed them. Wipe it off and it'll be fine. I said I'd monitor it....

They're date stamped 06/10/2014.

Mine are stamped with the same date.

I rang Sparshatts this morning and they've ordered 2 replacements and the car is booked in to start the warranty claim process. Good customer service.

Must be a known problem ,if the dealer reacts in that way over the phone.

Hmm, mine do have a faint damp film over them but nothing serious....yet.

Will keep an eye on things though to ensure that if needed, they are sorted under warranty, I bet they're damn expensive!

Hi

I parked in a slope some months ago and my wife got the lid in her head after she had opened it.

Both struts had oil on them, both are now changed (took 2 visits because they had to diagnose the fault before ordering.)

Both now have oil on them again!

In VCDS you can see a counter for how many times it has moved, how many forced stops, etc etc

ArvidG

• 1 month later...

Hi

I parked in a slope some months ago and my wife got the lid in her head after she had opened it.

Both struts had oil on them, both are now changed (took 2 visits because they had to diagnose the fault before ordering.)

Both now have oil on them again!

In VCDS you can see a counter for how many times it has moved, how many forced stops, etc etc

ArvidG

Quoting my self:

Yesterday I got my second set of struts!

Dealer said these has a different partnumber, so guessing they have been upgraded/changed from the original ones!

Hopefully changed for the last time.

ArvidG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

How much oil on them is too much oil? Anyone have a pic of the problem?

I think any oil is a problem.  Mine started out with none then progressed to enough to start dripping.  Since Ive had my new ones theres no oil at all.

• 4 months later...

Mine is booked in now for 2 replacement struts due to oil leakage - 7 months old and they are covered in oil. It happened quite suddenly as well, not a gradual build up.

And for a replacement screen for the Columbus - it has a mind of its own first thing every morning, doesn't respond and then beeps its head off and randomly changes radio presets. As soon as it warms up a bit it is OK, but every morning it goes nuts. And before anyone asks, it is spotlessly clean :)