1971 Scimitar GTE

dobbey

Even though I've already got some other Scims, I decided I needed another.

It's an August 1971, which makes it a very late SE5 model. Also only 2 owners from new.

I bought it blind on eBay as it was pretty local and cheap enough. I went over yesterday to collect it which was... fun. The car has been sat on a pile of mud since 1993 so I was expecting there to be no chassis left. I had a quick feel around and it seems ok so we loaded it onto the trailer and off we went.

Its home since '93

_57_zpshnusmym2.jpg

Swapped a wheel and got it loaded ok

IMG_20141018_145333_zps6v4urmna.jpg

IMG_20141018_145408_zpsfdo9e0y5.jpg

Then back home. Interesting to see a kind of before and after :)

IMG_20141018_155607_zpstffryig6.jpg

IMG_20141018_155616_zpsmj1atfqb.jpg

IMG_20141018_155633_zpsxv6yjtl4.jpg

The interior isn't toooooo bad considering there's no decent seals left

IMG_20141018_155833_zpsarz6bxuc.jpg

IMG_20141018_155847_zpstolf93ih.jpg

Engine bay is... interesting and it currently houses a seized engine. First job was to take all the plugs out and put some oil down the cylinders.

IMG_20141018_155942_zpsrjz3hpdz.jpg

I had a few hours on it today, so spent some time checking what bits I need. Good news is that the chassis is remarkably good and all the brakes and suspension are pretty good (relatively- they still need redoing)

It looks bad but I've bought worse I think :D

Edited by dobbey
  • Like 3

All that needs is a quick machine polish outside and a wet vac inside, hardly a project? ;-)

Lol joking apart, good luck with the resurrection mate.

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Aye, they do sound very good, especially when you remove some of the silencers as I've done on my other one, as has the guy who owns this one

Back to this one though and I've stripped all the front suspension and it's all now being blasted and painted ready for the new bushes, ball joints and track rod ends. Amazingly, it had brand new wheel bearings and the grease in the hubs was new too.

More plus points after a quick check over, the fuel tank is stainless, as is the exhaust system and the brakes have been overhauled using stainless steel pistons meaning I don't have to buy new pistons at £150 a set :)

I've started on the body too. I've got the panel ahead of the bonnet sanded and ready for high build primer. Just need to do the rest of the body :D

IMG_20141023_110847_zpszszfcfj6.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not as much progress with this one as I'd like but I've been preparing the banana for daily use in winter with a full chassis strip and repaint.

Maybe I'm wrong, but after another afternoon, I think it's starting to look a little better?

IMG_20141031_163622_zps43fey9eg.jpg

IMG_20141031_163613_zpsyp2x93fn.jpg

That front corner has accident damage but has been repaired pretty well. It's strong so just needs a little work to make it look good on top.

I finished clearing and cleaning the boot (that had been leaking for countless years) out earlier. 1 rodent nest, countless spiders nests, a full spare auto gearbox in bits (and oil everywhere) and for some reason, about 20 dead snails were among the usual rotten carpet, mould, rotten furniture and general foliage. I'm glad it's finally clean though

The carb has been un seized and I should get round to finishing cleaning it in the next few days ready to out back on the engine. I'll start to try and turn it after I've left the cylinders to soak with diesel a little longer.

The suspension is painted in my trademark Aldi grey paint and I've just ordered the poly wishbone bushes so I may finally be able to have the car rolling early next week so it can be taken outside for a proper clean inside and out.

• Like 1

With this particular car being do original, I'm doing to try and get this one running - shouldn't be too difficult as these Essex engines are properly tough.

I've got a few engine changed in mind including a 302 V8, KV6 and VR6 but I want to find the right Scim for those. I've got enough to do on all the ones I already have :D

Edited by dobbey
  • Like 1

My Friends Dad just got given a Scimitar free with his Ford Pilot (he is into his rodding and has a rodded Ford Prefect) thing is in a bit of a sad state but started up as soon as he turned the key and a new battery.

Fuel pump died afterwards so ended up on Saturday moving it about on a driveway.

That's great to hear! They certainly are tough old things :)

Could you please get him to email the cars details (reg no, chassis number, colour etc) to the Club's registrar? SE5.registrar (at) rssoc (dot) co (dot) uk

Fair enough, they're often used as donors because of their strong chassis and good suspension (and of course, they're very cheap)

The Scim club aren't snotty about this, unlike a lot of other car clubs. As long as the car is put to good use :)

It seems a very sound car, no rust :P

I know the rear axle is going into a V8 conversion Capri as its the stronger axle I believe and the 2.0 pinto axle isn't strong enough for the V8.

The rest of it I know is going to be used, Ill get some pics up when I pop round next, quite an interesting driveway!

• Like 1

This morning has seen some progress - wishbone bushes fitted and all the drivers side suspension together again. Just need to get the box of split pins from the garage and put the new TRE and drop link on. The cars now back on the ground so it can be rolled around.

IMG_20141107_114123_zpszlhcirkm.jpg

The engine is no longer seized either :D a week with cylinders full of diesel and a turn of a socket and it spins. If the weather wasn't so bad, I'd go the garage to get the compression tester.

• Like 2

Work on the wiring began today. I traced what's original and what isn't and made a start on cleaning it up. My initial aim was to get the ignition circuits functioning but I soon decided to just do the lot :)

I took the fuse boxes out and have cleaned all the wires going to the top box. Most of the wiring is original and in good condition. There are a few repairs but they were done so badly it'll be a piece of cake to sort properly. The car also has a later starter motor with a solenoid which is nice.

Cleaned up quite nicely with some kitchen cleaner

IMG_20141109_162346_zpsmjx0tlsm.jpg

The fuse box plate was taken off and stripped and painted in stonechip and the fuse boxes are currently soaking in bleach although I might try and buy new ones if they're available? I also need some screws to attach the boxes to the plate so I'll try and get some at the NEC classic car show at the weekend.

I took the windscreen and dash top out to help get to the wiring behind the dash which also looks largely original :)

All the main carb parts are now cleaned ready for the rebuild kit - I just have to clean the screws that will be re used.

On the bodywork, the roof is now mainly stripped of paint, so now looks better.

Edited by dobbey

• 5 months later...

Hi to dobbey,

Nice to see one of these much underated cars.

Just asking if you know anybody that can do work on a 1974 Scimitar 5a in the Maidstone area?

I have the said car and wish to get it mobile agian, it has been in a covered barn for 20 years and is an April yellow with black interior. 3ltre with overdive.

The reason I ask is that at 70 years old I cant hold the spanners or have the strenth to lift a lump out.

I do hope you get the restoration done ok, if you are not to far away I would love to come and see it in all its glory.

Mayoboat 

• Like 1

Hi Mayoboat,

The chairman of the RSSOC (scimitar and sabre owners club) lives near Maidstone and will know of local people. There's a chap called Richard Carter too who race prepares Scims but also does work on road cars.

Kevin Cooper, the club chairman can be emailed using the link on this page http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/index.php?nomobile=1&p=content/02_The%20Club/03_Club%20Contacts.php

Also, have an ask on the forum here

http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/index.php?nomobile=1

It's a brilliant forum, the amount of knowledge on there is second to none.

Back to this car, I sold it the other week because I've bought a later model GTE. It was MOTd but had sat for 5 months. We drove from Cheshire to where the car was in Dover, collected it and drove it all the way back on Good Friday. The car never missed a beat. Its condition is 100 times better than the old car and it only cost me twice as much as the old one.

DSCF02351_zpsevxsrulw.jpg

So I'm brightening the street up

DSCF02331_zpsxq0wi2c5.jpg

• Like 1

Nice - the guy across the road from me has one on his driveway part way through restoration - he's done the engine and chassis but now needs to do the bodywork but I think he's lost momentum on it due to other projects (he asked me if I fancied buying it a while back)...

Been to RAF Conningsby a couple of times to see the Typhoon do it's display flight.  Noticed the other day a Reliant GTE and behind it a GTC parked up alongside the Battle of Britain Museum.  Not seen a GTC for some years.  Nice.  Yes they are both tatty and obviously in need of love and attention but hey still nice to see them.

Bet you never beat the Typhoon though. :D

I have always wanted a Stag but a GTC would be just as good if not better because of the rarity.  I think they are a cracking looking car.  So what is he doing with them then dobbey?  On Friday the GTC was covered up otherwise I was going to snap a piccie of them both.

Yours do look rather good.  Do they suffer from damp still as I recall someone telling me he could never stop hs from leaking somewhere hence it always ponged a bit?

Stags do have a more classic look and feel to them but GTCs do drive better. Depends what you want. There's a stunning example in dark blue for sale at the moment. Priced high compared to other GTCs but it's an absolute bargain as I saw all the work that went into it.

Luke has quite a few too - the GTC, a beige 5a (like JHR), a grey 5a and a beige 6a (like PRW). The grey one is part restored (all mechanically) the beige 5a is a good working example, the 6a he bought recently as it was a bargain and he's just started work on the GTC, which will be a full resto.

Mine aren't too bad. PRW doesn't leak at all and I used smoke bombs in JHR to source leaks while I had all the interior out to retrim it last winter so I it is pretty watertight. It still leaks slightly but that's because the door frame doesn't push against the seal enough. Probably because the fibreglass in the door has weakened.

They got the reputation for leaking from the aluminium drain strips above the doors. They are riveted to the body and all the water gets in through there. Most have been taken off and put back on with a helping of silicone

I'm quite glad the SE5 has gone, means I can spend some time on my straight six coupé which is taking forever...