Lollipop is coming (Android 5.0)

gadgetman

If you have a nexus device it'll be coming in the next 3-4 weeks.

Last I read is the nexus 4, which everyone thought wasn't getting it, will be first to get it.

As encryption is default in Lollipop, it may be prudent to enable it now as it takes 1 hour+ to do. This *should* make the OTA update much quicker to complete

• Like 3

Seems weird, given that the 5 had an official developer preview rather than a third-party version. Interested to see what they do with the Nexus 7 2012 as well; ART is supposed to be becoming the default, but the 2012 N7 is Tegra-based which can't do ART. I guess Dalvik is still present which doesn't fill me with confidence. Barclaycard's app used to work fine on ART, then an update broke it. And the new Halifax app from 4 days ago also broke ART compatibility. So still having two runtimes to code for on the new version of the OS promises to be a bit awkward IMO. First I'd heard about encryption being default, will have to look into that and my phone can just sit on my desk tomorrow encrypting if necessary.

Have been doing some digging with regard to the encryption. Seems to offer some protection if your phone is stolen. Though most comments suggest it's still not brilliant as most stolen phones will be powered up and even if "locked", locking mechanism can be extremely easy to bypass. Would help stop someone forensically extracting data though.

Whilst perusing, I found this...

https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

If you've a Google accound and conencted android phone, can "find" (ring or GPS), lock or wipe it. Just remember your Google account password.

Yup got that enabled.

Essentially when you turn on your device it wants an encryption password before booting.

In kitkat or earlier it's your unlock pin. In Lollipop it's supposed to be a separate pin or passphrase, but I can't find anyone running Lollipop who's set a pin/passphrase - and the developer version doesn't fully support the new default encryption?

But at least it stops someone accessing your stuff.

I enabled it on KitKat, it's a shame you can't keep pattern for unlocks (which is MUCH more convenient IMO), and just use the password/PIN on bootup. Would be nice if Lollipop allows you to do that due to having a separate password. Also, when you say "it stops someone accessing your stuff", I'm not 100% convinced yet. The attack vector on Android has always been lowish IMO:

Encryption doesn't help against a malicious app, because while your phone is running and you've provided the PIN, the block device(s) are accessible. You're still relying on the Android permission system and your common sense

If someone plugs your phone into their computer, it won't present as storage until they've guessed your PIN anyway to unlock the phone, and (at least on KitKat) if they guess your unlock PIN they then have the encryption PIN

Recent ADB versions need you to confirm on the screen that you actually want to start a debug session, so again, someone who wants to do something dodgy already needs your unlock creds, and (in KitKat) they're the same thing as boot creds

Might become more of an advantage if Lollipop separates bootup/unlock though. And I guess the one place it will help is with a device with decent bootloader and custom recovery, which will allow you to boot into recovery mode and present the phone storage as a USB device outside of the OS (so outside of the permissions/unlock system). 

Motorola have confirmed v1/2 Moto G and X will get the update in time for Christmas.

Samsung have surprisingly said that the S3 will get it, but not until early next year. S4 & 5 should have it by January.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/android-50-lollipop-release-date-schedule-what-devices-will-get-new-update-390164

That's exactly what I wanted to know for now, thanks :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Although I expect someone knowledgable to have "sniffed" the OTA links shortly and they usually become available within a couple of days for sideloading (if you're able to get adb working).

Seems weird, given that the 5 had an official developer preview rather than a third-party version. Interested to see what they do with the Nexus 7 2012 as well; ART is supposed to be becoming the default, but the 2012 N7 is Tegra-based which can't do ART. I guess Dalvik is still present which doesn't fill me with confidence. Barclaycard's app used to work fine on ART, then an update broke it. And the new Halifax app from 4 days ago also broke ART compatibility. So still having two runtimes to code for on the new version of the OS promises to be a bit awkward IMO. First I'd heard about encryption being default, will have to look into that and my phone can just sit on my desk tomorrow encrypting if necessary.

From what I understand the N7 2012 didn't get ART as it wouldn't fit alongside dalvik in the devices storage. When the L update comes out, it should have ART as there is no need for dalvik and therefore enough space again: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=62375

Motorola have confirmed v1/2 Moto G and X will get the update in time for Christmas.

Samsung have surprisingly said that the S3 will get it, but not until early next year. S4 & 5 should have it by January.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/android-50-lollipop-release-date-schedule-what-devices-will-get-new-update-390164

That is the date from Samsung so knowing EE I am likely to see it in about July! Only just had an OTA update to 4.4.2 on Sunday.

That is the date from Samsung so knowing EE I am likely to see it in about July! Only just had an OTA update to 4.4.2 on Sunday.

I have also found that it appeared to have caused a glitch where my phone would randomly reset but a factory reset last night appears to have cured that as I have had no resets since (just had to put up with the hassle of putting everything back on it)

Well, it's on my 2012 Nexus 7. It's still a bit laggy, I didn't have to encrypt anything, and within 10 seconds of it booting (which took ~15 minutes) there was a really jarring bit of UI where the word "password" got split over 2 lines. Only a cosmetic error, but serious lack of attention to detail and makes me wonder what other more serious bugs I might find...

More annoyances - a couple of days ago, my Google account was upgraded to Inbox. So I installed the Inbox app, which was proud to tell me that I don't need Gmail anymore, it's all in Inbox. Great.

Upgrade to 5.0, click "Email" to set up my corporate email. "Email" doesn't do anything anymore, it's just a shortcut to an "app" which tells you that all your email is now done through the "Gmail" app. The one I was told 2 days ago by Inbox that I didn't need anymore.

So now I read my Gmail in Inbox, my Exchange mail in Gmail, and the Email shortcut does absolutely nothing. Mental.

I didn't have to encrypt anything

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2844831?hl=en-GB - only new devices come encrypted. If you're upgrading, then you don't have to. Hopefully no one's done it yet, as I don't really like it; I think I'm going to go back to pattern unlock (which I find much quicker) and just take my chances with the remote wipe. I've never lost a phone yet, and there's nothing confidential on there, just a few bits that it would be "annoying" to lose. So looks like I'll be factory flashing my N4 to remove the encryption off it...