Lollipop is coming (Android 5.0)

gadgetman

• 2 weeks later...

Got a note on my Nexus tab tonight that Android 5.02 has been downloaded.

Woot thoughts I might be an improvement.

Nope, tab crashes totally when I try to unlock, after rebooting no sign of the 5.02 installer running. Fkin comical.

If you go to about device, is it listed as available to install? Or does it say your device is already on 5.0.2?

5.0 to 5.0.2 is a major update so will reboot to install

5.0.1 to 5.0.2 is a minor update and doesn't need to reboot as it's only 10mb.

Still says 5.0

Not listed as available in 'about'.

That was an hour ago. Might have done something in the interim.

If it downloaded fully, then it should prompt to load.

If it crashed download, then you'll have to wait for it to come through again.

I'm still waiting for Lollipop on my Nexus 7 2012

Looks like it. everything still says 5.0 and when I check update it says "up to date".

I removed everything Facebook from it the other day and I think there has been an improvement just through that.

Hello to everyone

I updated my nexus 7, wished I hadnt although I did go into the bios and clean the ram it did speed it up.

I also took everything off the front screen, this also helped. Overall though it has ruined a brilliant device.

A few speed up notes:

check for app updates in play,

uninstall social media apps and reinstall

turn off gps

turn off auto brightness

also if you have a 16bg try and keep 7gb free I noticed a massive difference

try to wipe off your tears as soon as they hit the screen

and the best tip, look at the ipad and imagine having to pay for everything thats free on android always lifts my spirit.

thanks

jon

My 16GB 2012 Nexus 7 seems to have improved a bit after I:

Installed third party recovery

Installed a build of CyanogenMod based on KitKat

Rooted it

Installed and ran Lagfix Free from the Play Store

Flashed the factory image of 5.0.2 again

This will force a run of the Linux fstrim utility, to really clear out unused storage (this utility currently doesn't work on 5.x, must be done on a 4.4 series ROM). This was supposed to have been fixed in Android 4.3, but I've read some accounts from more knowledgable people than I to say that even then the tablet doesn't trim storage constantly, it depends on being plugged in, having a certain battery level, not being used for a period of time, etc. Supposedly the aim was that if you're the sort of person who plugs your tablet in nightly, then this flash storage maintenance cycle should run once every 24 hours. My tablet gets plugged in when it's flat, and I've been using it much less recently since the performance tanked, so the last full charge lasted something like 3 weeks in my rucksack.

Got 5.02 finally installed last night.

Took a long time to go on, the tab was "Optimising application". I don't have many (it said 130 but I assume most of them were Google's own).

A massive improvement. Tablet is back to the performance I was getting with 4.4

Battery might be getting a bit of a beating but then it is getting on a bit.

Not to fix the USB port which has been getting wonky.

Gac, fstrim is part of lollipop now ;)

Probably. But it was supposed to have been part of Jellybean 4.3 too. And yet it's funny how when I did it manually, things improved ;)

Like I said, I've read that it wasn't a full time mount option, but run on a schedule. And unlike on a standard Linux machine where you probably just have it in cron so it runs at a particular time of day, this was a schedule based on several conditions that my usage pattern may not have met. I haven't looked since re-upgrading to see if the "discard" mount option is used this time around, but TRIM certainly doesn't seem to have been working well for me so far since it was introduced in 4.3...

• 2 months later...

Got 5.1 last night as well.

Certainly seems a bit better but still considerably slower than the Amazon tablet I picked up for £60.

Just downloaded 5.1 on my Nexus 7, and it now flies along. All the lag has completely gone!

If you lost faith in your nexus 7, I recommend checking for the update and installing it.

down loaded 5.1 to my nexus 7, cleared out cache and all the usual reset stuff. No improvement and nexus now consigned to back oF cupboard!

My Nexus 7 (Original) updated a while ago and ever since it takes ages to boot up and about every third time it boots up it comes up with Android is updating Apps and then takes even longer to boot up.  As it isn't online when it boots up (in fact hardly ever) it cannot or will not upgrade the aps and then it asks me if I want to Wait, Cancel or Report and as it isn't on line it does nothing anyway.

As I only use it to read on Kindle or play Suzoko it is a pain now.  It was far quicker before it updated.  Oh and having read all of this thread I hardly understand much of it.  If only life was simpler.  Oh it is I could buy books again and buy a Suzoku book as well.

Regards Chris

My wife's S4 just took Lollipop.

And the Galaxy, Malteasers, Mars & Revels...  ;)

My S4 has got it as well and IMHO, it's 5h17!

My S4 now has blank (black) screens, random restarts, random locking, super short time outs despite them being set for longer, battery life is really bad, even worse than 4.4.2 and its eaten a load of precious memory, there's no battery saver option available & the list goes on.

It's so bad I'm thinking of dumping android for an iPhone or Windows mobile.

down loaded 5.1 to my nexus 7, cleared out cache and all the usual reset stuff. No improvement and nexus now consigned to back oF cupboard!

Then you must have an app causing it. Facebook is the usual candidate, along with other social media apps constantly checking for updates every nanosecond.

If I have Facebook running it struggles. Without it I have zero lag.