URGENT advice needed Unleaded in the furby

MikeF

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd refer this to Lummox and "ask a tech"

but just going off recent family experience with a BMW...

fuel pump, fuel lines, injectors......job was essentially engine rebuild...

few grand maybe?

Really sorry to hear that.

Give SWMBO a hug. she's only human, anyone can do it, and hey, its only a car. I know I know, it's easier said than done. But it does happen. You might be able to get the insuraance to cover it (my old man did on the bmw)

Might not be to bad could just be filters. Tell your missis that blokes do it as well ! I filled my wifes car up with Super unleaded problem was it was a 205 desiel. It started to cough and splutter a bit then stopped. Father-in-law towed me back in where we drained the system changed the filters and Off I went to Romford (from Notts) all in a morning. The car actually ran better after the incident and the father in-law (old mechanicy type bloke) said they allways used to put a bit of petrol in the desiels in the old days. Make sure the garage don't try and talk turnip to rip you off !

Dont know about damage - although a Skoda Mech told me that in VW engines its not normally too big an issue, This Mech now works for Ford where it has been a big problem on some engines and expensive - Many of his Ford customers have claimed on their insurance policy where the bill is in the

:hug:

Hope thts for SWMBO.

If not, get of the blasted t'internet and look after her. She needs you more than we do right now......(says the single relationship sage :rolleyes: )

eddit: tongue in cheek/ humourous post btw

I used to work for a car?van hire company, people put the wrong fuel in the cars all the time. Petrol in a Diesel is not usually a big problem as its thinner. The other way round can be. The system needs draining and the diesel pulling through, and new filters even though we never used to bother on the peugot's. Good luck I hope it isn't a big problem. Can't see why it would be.

Hope thts for SWMBO.

If not' date=' get of the blasted t'internet and look after her. She needs you more than we do right now......(says the single relationship sage :rolleyes: )

eddit: tongue in cheek/ humourous post btw[/quote']

yeh shes already had the hug!!!

ive not told her shes paying for it yet though!!!

I'll just give her the bill :D

Bloke at work filled a PD100 passat with unleaded and it just needed a drain and refill with oily stuff.

He probably didn't drive it as far as she did though

Thats the bit that worries me, your only talking half a mile but it was all petrol and no diesel!

The main problem with putting petrol in a diesel is in older cars with injection pumps is petrol is essentially a cleaner. Diesels use the oil qualities of the fuel to lubricate the inner workings of the injector pump. If petrol gets through there it strips out this lubrication and can knacker the pump. Problem is you dont tend to find out until a fair few thousand miles after its been repaired. This is quite common on the 2.5 V6 diesels that get incorrectly filled.

The upshot for you is as you dont have an injection pump to worry about you will more than likely be just fine. Drain the diesel out, new fuel filter is a good idea, lots of fresh diesel and away you go.

The main problem with putting petrol in a diesel is in older cars with injection pumps is petrol is essentially a cleaner. Diesels use the oil qualities of the fuel to lubricate the inner workings of the injector pump. If petrol gets through there it strips out this lubrication and can knacker the pump. Problem is you dont tend to find out until a fair few thousand miles after its been repaired. This is quite common on the 2.5 V6 diesels that get incorrectly filled.

The upshot for you is as you dont have an injection pump to worry about you will more than likely be just fine. Drain the diesel out' date=' new fuel filter is a good idea, lots of fresh diesel and away you go.[/quote']

Cheers for the reply, i'll let Shell (SWMBO) we might still be able to go on holiday in February :thumbup:

Cheers for the reply, i'll let Shell (SWMBO) we might still be able to go on holiday in February :thumbup:

Shell is an ironic name for someone who made that mistake! :D I know a few people who were paranoid about making the mistake after switching!

It's when you put desiel in a petrol that things get bad

Just lots of smoke :D I know I accidently filled my C to the Brim with BP Ultimate Diesel :doh: (Fricking pumps look exactly the same as Ultimate Unleaded)

Syphoned most of it out, BTW Diesel tast horrid :sour: Filled it full with Petrol, off she went! Smoked a bit but not too much!