Wipers will not stop - no off position Octavia mk1 vRS

Just last night with my wipers on intermittenly, they sat back in a higher than normal position while driving.

Then after that, they would not stop at all. What previously was the off position, is now constant, so once key is ignition, they're on regardless of the position.

I have searched the forum, but not found a solution.

I've disconnected the fuse, replaced it, pulled out the 377 relay, cleaned contacts (which were very clean as is) and reconnected. The relay clicks as normal so I think the relay is fine.

For the record, they never seized or had any difficulty before, and Ive heard mention of a rear motor causing issues, my 2002 vRS doesn't have a rear wiper.

What do I do next?

Edited by Col200sx

All other functions on the stalk work fine. As in different positions still put on wipers on intermittently, constant and also full speed. Just what was off is now fully on. 

I haven't been able to access the motor yet as it's p1ssing rain (no pun intended!).

Edited by Col200sx

More than likely the self park on the motor has gone faulty. I have one on ebay with 6 hours to go on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Octavia-1998-2004-Mk1-Front-Wiper-Motor-/141448546183?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

If your interested?

If the self park is gone, does that mean new motor?

Excuse my ignorance, but if the other functions of the motor work, would it not point to something else?

(I'll have to see first if it's a motor I need before I buy one, but thanks for heads up on your Ebay link).

Yes new motor needed. Something has gone inside the motor. I'm no auto electrician but have had this fault on other cars and it's been the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like someone is trying to blag a sale :D

NO not at all there's no pressure in him buying the motor I have for sale! I'm just trying to help out a fellow member and don't take kindly to that sort comment! I'm just offering my experiences and after being in the trade for over 20 years have had my fair share of this sort of problem with wiper motors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the steering wheel has to come off, but once that is off, unbolting the indicator/wipe stalk assembly is just a case of undoing 1 bolt which tightens a ring clamp, to free it up, then all the electrical connectors.

Oh and there's the shroud too, which is held on by tiny little vertically inserted screws.  Have to go in from underneath - tiny holes in the corners.

• Like 1

I did this a while back.  Am I to assume a replacement wiper motor didn't sort the problem?

Disconnect battery (wait 30+ minutes)

Remove steering column cover (various screws)

Remove airbag#

Carefully note gap between rear of steering wheel and split-ring assembly unit

Centre steering wheel

Use large spline bit (and assistant) to remove steering wheel

Remove steering wheel

Remove split-ring assembly

Unclip cables from both stalks

Undo clamp bolt

Remove both stalks

Split stalks, swap over wiper stalk

*re-assemble*

When I put mine back together I got the gap a bit large on the split ring, and after about 100 miles the airbag light came on.  Removed the cover and wiggled it up a fraction, cleared the code and all was good.

Take care not to drop the airbag unit, etc as it might go off anyway.

• Like 1

I did this a while back.  Am I to assume a replacement wiper motor didn't sort the problem?

Disconnect battery (wait 30+ minutes)

Remove steering column cover (various screws)

Remove airbag#

Carefully note gap between rear of steering wheel and split-ring assembly unit

Centre steering wheel

Use large spline bit (and assistant) to remove steering wheel

Remove steering wheel

Remove split-ring assembly

Unclip cables from both stalks

Undo clamp bolt

Remove both stalks

Split stalks, swap over wiper stalk

*re-assemble*

When I put mine back together I got the gap a bit large on the split ring, and after about 100 miles the airbag light came on.  Removed the cover and wiggled it up a fraction, cleared the code and all was good.

Take care not to drop the airbag unit, etc as it might go off anyway.

Great detailed post, thanks for that. I'll be doing this soon as I'm waiting on delivery of a wiper stalk.

I never got the wiper motor replaced, the one above sold, and the others I enquired on I haven't gotten yet.

I've since been advised, like I was above too, that to replace the wiper stalk and switch was the way to go. 

Hi,

Just had this problem.

There is a post relating to a similar fault suggesting the relay under the dash (http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/289341-wipers-octavia-i-they-dont-switch-off-and-have-their-own-behavior/) having dry joints. As this was relatively quick and easy I had a look at it - turned out to be a dirty relay contact, cleaned it up and problem resolved. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

What are the odds of water in the motor causing a similar pain in the rectum - 

Driving to work this morning, the wipers flicked up and back once on their own for no reason..

then a second time

then came on constantly, stalk position making no difference, other than the fast setting speeding them up.

Pulled in and couldnt find the fuse layout card, so had to drive the rest of the way to work spraying water onto the screen every few minutes to stop the blades dragging the 5hite of the glass. Also had to pull in at one point to break the built up ice off the blades from the spraying  :wall:

Got the layout drawing off here when i arrived and pulled the fuse solved it temporarily... 

First check later on will be disconnecting the rear washer... to be followed, most likely, by having a little cry when it makes no difference!

I would try some switch cleaner on the stalk to start with.

If the wiper motor is covered in water then you have some serious lack of drainage issues going on, and your ECU might be about to get wet too,,,,

• Like 1

I would try some switch cleaner on the stalk to start with.

If the wiper motor is covered in water then you have some serious lack of drainage issues going on, and your ECU might be about to get wet too,,,,

I had a look in around / through the skuttle earlier, all looking pretty dry, i was just wondering if the motor was positioned where it could get wet and leak if the seals wer shot. Il disconnect the rear motor fuse and motor before leaving for work, see if it makes any difference. Have contact cleaner at home, so it will get a soaking too.

So, i pulled the rear fuse and put back the front one.....

The result is all good up front. Off, intermittent, constant, fast.

No issues! All good, so the problem is the rear unit causing problems else where.

Thank christ!

• Like 1

yeah, hatchback. I know it isnt very common, but there was enough rear failures that at least i had something to guide me towards finding a solution!

I'll be getting into the boot later this week if the weathers a bit better, and stripping the motor out to have a look at it.

Will be getting a rubber bung in case the whole shebang needs taking off!!