Skoda Octavia 3 1.4 TSI 140 HP whining noise at start engine

Hi ,

One month ago, I bought a Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI 140 HP  and since then, every morning  when I start the engine or when the engine is cold, I hear a strange(whining) noise . I searched the forums in my country for people who have the same problem and I found only three guys only, having no solution for that. So, I thought to try the forums from other countries, maybe I find problem solving. Attached the recording with noise at startup:

(I found it on youtube, the sound is identical)

Regards

Alberto Nicola Laios

PS: If my post is not correct or has some deficiencies , such as the country I am from , I kindly ask the moderator to send me an e -mail to : [email protected] and I will unsubscribe and no longer bother you. I apologize for my English.

It reminds me of the noise an old car of mine used to make when it failed to start. I think the starter motor wasn't engaging properly and the whine was the noise of the starter motor, which is usually masked by the sound of the engine turning and trying to fire.

That said yours started, so not at all the same situation! Sorry.

Yes , I think the starter is to blame. Many of my friends who heard the noise sayed the same thing. But it is a new car. When the engine is warm, I don’t heard it  at all. But the starter would be doing that noise all the time? I hope that somebody have the problem resolved.

@Sak

Did you went to the dealer for investigation ? How many miles you have made with your car? I'm afraid to spoil something , that's why I ask. I am working in oil domain and I don't have time yet to go to Skoda Service.

I would say starter, too.  Sounds like it's spinning past the point the engine fires.  It could just be that it's a normal noise that is usually masked or damped in other cars, but since you say it only happens when cold, perhaps the starter clutch isn't disengaging fast enough when cold so the engine is over-revving the starter.  I remember hearing a similar sound when my Pontiac's starter clutch wouldn't engage, so it was just spinning free.

Many people vote for the starter. Until I will have time to go to Skoda Service, I hope nothing will be damaged. Somebody, with 25000km done, said that he can live with it, so I'll try to do the same. Meanwhile, maybe someone will write here that he solved the problem.

It seems that this noise is very common at the 1.4 TSI , but nothing  bad happened to the engines until now. Probably Skoda service will say : ' Technological Noise " and the problem remains open.

I don’t have another noise or malfunction outside this sound and I want to remove it . Maybe I'm a perfectionist , but I want the car to go as it should . Maybe someone will read this thread and have solved the noise . I remain alert to this topic, without making further comments . I don't like meaningless chatter .

Google fuel pump noise on Tsi engines. Apparently there is a high pressure pump just upstream of the injectors that is driven from the cam shaft that has a hydraulic adjuster a bit like a tappet . On a number of Tsi engines, this doesn't function well, hence the noise. my brother is going through a warranty process for exactly this on his 4 month old Seat Leon Tsi

My VRS TSI does this occasionally and it is most noticeable from outside the car or when doors/windows are open. I will ask dealer to check things during next service but pretty sure they will find nothing wrong. It doesn't bother me, at least not whilst it has warranty and it starts every time.

Edited by Orville

My mate's Golf VII 1.4TSI makes exactly the same noise as my VRS. It does sound like the starter is over-spinning upon ignition, but it seems to be a "trait" of these engines rather than anything to worry about. Problem seems to occur more now that it is getting colder, so could be a sticky starter solonoid or even a delberate design characteristic.

It seems that, from all who have this noise, most agree that the sound cames from the starter. Since nobody has serious problems yet due to starter, I feel more relaxed. But still no one has fixed the problem in service.  "A deliberate design characteristic"? Shouldn't it sound the same at all engines?  

I have to be honest , I use Google translate to write words correct . Also in Romania not everyone speaks romanian correct . @ Timpel: I think most people who work Skoda service use phrases like : „it's normal to do so”, „technological sound” , „all do so” . It's true? All do it? From what I see on the forums, there aren’t all owners of 1.4 TSI 140 HP. I think rather it's laziness or professional incompetence.