DSG and braking

If I run on level ground in 50 km/h my car selects 5th gear. Yesterday I was going downhill and had to apply slightly brakes, still going 50 km/h. After a little while it selected 3rd gear, helping me brake with the engine.

How does the DSG box register this? Is it because if me braking over a long time, or does it know the car going downhill?

It worked very well, and I was surprised that it actually did.

Never had a car with automatic, so I thought I would have to switch to manual in these situations to have more engine braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's the same as the mk2, you could also put it in S when going down hill so that it downshifts earlier and holds the gears more.

This. Find myself doing this all the time, saves wearing the brake pads :)

Edited by Galathrox

I have a 184ps DSG Scout on order. Would have preferred a manual but the 184ps is only available with DSG. I also have ACC optioned and I assumed that would be more logical with DSG. Having never owned a car with an auto box before, I'm just a bit concerned about DSG gear selections. I currently drive a Mk2 Scout and previously owned a 2WD Mk2 TDi, both manuals. I've always thought the manual box on the Octavias (at least the ones I've owned) pretty good.

Does anyone who has made the switch from manual to DSG have a strong opinion one way or the other? What about 6-speed DSG vs 7-speed?

ps. Engine braking was one of my concerns, especially driving on winter roads here in Norway.

Edited by indianinorge

I have a 184ps DSG Scout on order. Would have preferred a manual but the 184ps is only available with DSG. I also have ACC optioned and I assumed that would be more logical with DSG. Having never owned a car with an auto box before, I'm just a bit concerned about DSG gear selections. I currently drive a Mk2 Scout and previously owned a 2WD Mk2 TDi, both manuals. I've always thought the manual box on the Octavias (at least the ones I've owned) pretty good.

Does anyone who has made the switch from manual to DSG have a strong opinion one way or the other? What about 6-speed DSG vs 7-speed?

ps. Engine braking was one of my concerns, especially driving on winter roads here in Norway.

I drive a Mk2 Scout Paramedic response car for work, I love DSG and would never go back to manual. I love my flappy paddles.

I now have my second O3 with DSG and wouldn't go back to manual.

If you can, spec the flappy paddles

I did not know that the DSG was available without the paddles? please tell me my vRS will come with them...oh lord!!!

I did not know that the DSG was available without the paddles? please tell me my vRS will come with them...oh lord!!!

VRS with DSG comes with paddles by default!

Just one recomendation for DSG owners. To have your DSG trouble free for a long time, use manual mode when downhill.

Edited by fhman

I now have my second O3 with DSG and wouldn't go back to manual.

If you can, spec the flappy paddles

I was thinking of ordering the paddles until I took a couple of test drives. The position and the design of the gear selector lever on the Octavia III turned out to be so great I decided against getting them. But it's definitely a matter of personal preference, so you should really test drive before making the decision.

The DSG also seems to be pretty responsive in manual mode. Which seemed like a nice upgrade after the sluggish response from the Geartronic box on my current Volvo. Can't wait for my Octy to arrive!

Only keeping mine 3 years till warranty runs out, so faults won't cost me. Selfish I know..

I drive a mkii scout all day and really use the paddles and we have never had one problem with the station fleet. Bear in mind they are fully kitted and we don't mess about when driving them. I think they are bullet proof, especially when you take into account that they arnt that well serviced.

I've witnessed our police force use their mk2 Vrs's in anger, both manual & dsg. They've had them years. So your right they can take it. Got mine on 3 yrs PCP with the intension of downsizing after that. Will be at that "I better slow down" stage of life by then.Hope they do a Yeti Vrs by then..........

I've just come from mk11 manual Scout to mk111 DSG and love it

,the thing is its much more than a straight auto with lots of variations on how you drive. Still not 100% on the stop/start yet and using it mainly at traffic lights. A lot of info on the Internet on how to get the best out of the DSG box and it all makes sense now and i make all sorts excuses just to drive.

Is that DSG6 or DSG7 or both and please do explain why ?

Mainly DSG7, the dry clutch one. Briefly, due to clutch engages in high rpm which causes faster clutch wear and extra load to gear box. I don't say it will damage the gearbox, just bare it in mind. It's just recomendation not a must. The normal braking with the engine when driving manual is not to engage 3-rd gear while driving at 6-th. So don't leave the DSG to do that. DSG is quite good and clever gearbox but trying to predict your next step sometimes does some not so good and clever things. Take care about that.

• Like 1

Mainly DSG7, the dry clutch one. Briefly, due to clutch engages in high rpm which causes faster clutch wear and extra load to gear box. I don't say it will damage the gearbox, just bare it in mind. It's just recomendation not a must. The normal braking with the engine when driving manual is not to engage 3-rd gear while driving at 6-th. So don't leave the DSG to do that. DSG is quite good and clever gearbox but trying to predict your next step sometimes does some not so good and clever things. Take care about that.

i will be very grateful if you can clarify more what does it mean the clutch engages in HIGH Rpm & what is your recommendations/how should i drive in manual in a downhill? do you mean i should change down the gears myself for engine brake? or do you mean i should not let it downshift or use engine brakes feature?

i am asking you all this cause in my country Egypt we always have high Traffic on our roads & any DSG cars since introduced to Egypt in 2008-2009 always have clutch pack wears after a very little while & then the mechatronix fail & this makes a very bad reputation to this kind of gearbox here in our country :(

for me i neglected this & got an Octy3 with 1.4 TSI & DSG box & trying to use it very carefully to not damage it or need a cluch replacement very soon :)

so any advice from your kind side will be very much appreciated :D

When downhill in "D" mode and you reduce speed slowly by slight application of the brake, gearbox downshifts and the gear selected corresponds to engine rpm. If brake is applied sharply for a short time, speed decreases insignificantly but the gear selected does not corresponds to engine rpm ( lower gear and high rpm). I'm using "manual", stopping the car by the brake and when desired speed is reached I select the proper gear manually as needed. Brakes are cheeper than clutches.That's my way. You can use "engine brake" to prevent the car to accelerate but not to stop it.

In a stop and go traffic "manual" is also good idea (sorry but you lose the comfort of auto :notme: ) The problem is that DSG7 almost not using 1-st gear. So instead of creeping only on 1-st and eventually on 2-nd gear in "manual" your car in "D" goes like this 1-2-1-stop, 1-2-1-stop,....... 1-2-3-1-stop.... From 3-rd to 1-st is worst case. My opinion is that using 1-st gear with higher rpm than computer recommends for upshift and eventually 2-nd gear is good idea to creep in trafic jam. 

Edited by fhman
  • Like 1