So what is the best mileage out of a tank anyone has got? Rapid is best Skoda 4 this?

So what is the best mileage out of a tank anyone has got? Rapid is best Skoda 4 this?

With its 55 litre tank and the fuel sipping 1.6D and 1.2 TSI what is the best anyone has seen on the computer range or achived in actual driving?

Skoda's often have rather small tanks and range is often not a legendary as their sister Audi's for instance with their larger tanks etc.

But with the 50 mpg achievable in the petrol Rapid and over 60 mpg in the diesel has anyone got close to 1000 miles on a tank?

But a bit of hyper-miling got 610 miles out of the Fabia 2 VRS and still had 15 miles shown on  the range.

Got the old A4 with the wonderful 130 hp 1.9D up to 960 miles on the range computer but that has a 66 litre tank or so I recall.

I think Rapid 1.6D could hold the Skoda record, any other contenders?

Have a look at my Fuelly for my Rapid fuel economy - its early days, but I track every fill-up.

For comparison, here's the link to the Fuelly history for my last car, the 1.6HDi Citroen C4

1000 miles out of a tank in the Rapid, you do the maths, impossible!

Well I read, and I can usually acheive and surpass, the Extra Urban mpg of the 1.6D can be as high as 83.1 mpg.

Tank is 55 litres is 12.1 gallons.

So 83 x 12.1 is 1,004 miles.

I can ventilate my Fabia tank to get over 50 litres in it, not sure if you can on the Rapid but if you could then getting 60 litres in should not be difficult so a thousand miles should not be too hard even if it is rather tedious.

The only way you'll get 83mpg out of that car is if you rig up a bloody sail and only drive downhill! :)

Fabia VRS Extra Urban is 54 mpg but I have exceeded that by a good 5% on a measured tank.

Yes there are a few hyper-milng techniques and particularly with the DSG there are a few trick you can do, ie burn and neutral coast but as and when I get my 1.6D DSG I will be very disappointed not to get 1000 miles out of a tank.

I do tend to do journeys between 100 and 300 miles, one would clearly not get this for multiple short journeys ie lots of 10 or 20 mile ones.  I work a lot at LHR and my mpg is great on the M40 until I get to the M25 and around the airport then it is rubbish.  For round there one needs a Prius or the like.

Edited by lol-lol

Yes there are a few hyper-milng techniques and particularly with the DSG there are a few trick you can do, ie burn and neutral coast but as and when I get by 1.6D DSG I will be very disappointed not to get 1000 miles out of a tank.

15252349353_fcea7f98a0_o.jpg

• Like 3

Rapid's fuel tank is ventable on diesels, so you might as well do all your calculations for diesels based on 64l maximum capacity (55l stock + 9l expansion space). I'd say a 1000 mile run on 1 tank would be doable on a very long, slooooow motorway drive, 50mph in 5th or so.

For more practical values, for mixed town/countryside driving, the vented, 64l fuel tank in my Roomster (same CAYC engine, similar weight, not much impact of air drag below 60mph) is enough for 550 - 650 miles, depending on outside temperature (DPF fuel impact varies). To compare, Mk1 Octavia 1.9TDI110, weighing 200kg more, would do 600 - 700 miles on a 64l vented tank and under the same conditions.

I do tend to do journeys between 100 and 300 miles, one would clearly not get this for multiple short journeys ie lots of 10 or 20 mile ones.  

Now that I agree with. If only car manufacturers noticed that average trip duration is in single tens of miles rather than hundreds and started providing fuel consumption figures from a cold engine.

Edited by dieselV6

Brisky member Thecko is long term averaging 54.8 from a 1.2 Rapid (best tank 59.7) and has run over 600 miles a tank more than once. (he never runs it near empty though - so at his mpg figures the petrol one will do maybe 675miles)

I've never beaten 570 on a tank (53 litres to fill)

Does anyone in their right mind ever do a long motorway run at 50mph?

Well sometimes I might choose to sit in the bubble at 55-60 mph behind a lorry, sometimes 70 or so behind a transit van or the like.  The Fabia, particularly the VRS, is not a good aeroshape and benefits from slipstreaming something even more block like.  I might be on the phone for a while or eating or the like or just earlier for a meeting.  Sometimes I will choose to use the A road short cut rather than the motorway where you are probably doing 50-60 rather than 70-80, saves a gallon or so over a journey and is often just as quick as so much motorway has bottlenecks, road works etc due to the huge under investment over the last 5 years or so.

Edited by lol-lol

Brisky member Thecko is long term averaging 54.8 from a 1.2 Rapid (best tank 59.7) and has run over 600 miles a tank more than once. (he never runs it near empty though - so at his mpg figures the petrol one will do maybe 675miles)

I've never beaten 570 on a tank (53 litres to fill)

As I have said I have managed over 600 miles in the VRS which nominally has a 45 litre tank but probably squeezed just over 50 litres with the venting scheme.   The VRS with its high compression engine and long gearing ie almost 30 mph per thousand revs in top can do pretty well.  Now got the winter tyres on and it take longer to warm up those longer distances on a tank will not be seen for a few months.

Yeh really can't see 1000 miles out of a tank. I've once seen my estimated range after a very economical drive and a fulllllllll to the top fill up of fuel go above 800 miles but this soon falls to around 650 realistic and this is driving carefully.

Did you vent and get another gallon or gallon and a half?

With the Fabia VRS, if you do this, it will do about 150 miles before the fuel gauge moves off full and then roughly a hunded miles to each quarter of the tank but the last eighty can last way more than 50 miles.  Most I gone past zero is about 15 miles but some have done over 40 miles but I think cavitation of the fuel pump etc could not be good.  

Hypermiling can improve one's mpg by more than 10% I have found when I have bothered to try.  Sometimes if I work out that I have not got enought range to get their without refueling, then adopting hypermiling techiniques, I do not need to fill up and therefore save ten minutes do the fill up and get there as early as I would have if I had filled up.

http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/hypermiling/hypermiling-techniques

• Like 1

Either way - tactics like hypermiling, driving like an arsehole on motorways, venting your diesel tank to maximise full capacity etc still won't get you close to 1,000 in a Rapid (and definitely not with a DSG gearbox). It's a bigger, heavier car than the Fabia as well which doesn't help.

The quoted figures for the 1.6 Diesel with DSG gearbox in the Rapid are as follows:

Fuel consumption

Urban † 50.4 (5.6)

Extra urban † 72.4 (3.9)

Combined † 62.8 (4.5)

So in reality, the combined figure (in fact all those figures are pretty much identical to the ones for the 1.6 diesel C4 I had with Citroen's equivalent EGS gearbox) is more likely to be around 50-55mpg in real world traffic, with real world road conditions, temperatures and actual weight in the car like a normal size driver and a full set of seats and trim.

The only way you'll get close to 1,000 miles range from a Rapid is if you go for a frugal petrol and have an LPG conversion and thus will have the combined range of a full LPG tank + the petrol tank. That or the sail! :)

MFD average 50-51 dropped straight down to 48 in this cold spell.

Stormy - do you use aircon all the time?  that does 10% off on mine.

Also the gear change indicators are dynamic so if you pootle along (like me) it indicates change up around 1500rpm

If I give it some the change light comes around 3000

If I hoof it the change light doesnt bother.

I think driving style is key to getting mpg out of this 1.2

Clearly a fairly mature person with 2 small skodas living in Bournemouth -Your profile positively screams "bit of a hooligan with the accelerator " if you ask me ;) 

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

I use it mostly at night with lights,HRW and air con so it's obviously going to suffer. I totally ignore the gearchange indicator and drive it how I want just like my Citigo. It's now done 1400 miles so obviously still quite tight. It's something I must get used to after owning a Octavia diesel for 7 years.

The Rapid is well exercised on a mixture of roads (no motorway) this little engine loves to be "driven" [emoji106][emoji16]

Also I'm 49 but not a hooligan but just enjoy a driving experience [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1