2015 F1 General Discussion Thread

I can see VAG buying Manor should the inevitable happen

It would be nice for VAG to enter the F1, we would have our "own" team to cheer for :)

Let's hope they are not going to make the same mistakes as McHonda did

VAG can't keep road car engines in one piece , can't see them doing well with F1;)

Shame about the German GP although the attendance last year was poor even though they have 4 time champ Vettel and of course it was Rosberg leading the championship at the time. This article does have a telling stat about last years attendance compare to Silverstone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/31942154

50000 on race day at Hockenheim after nearly empty grandstands for practice and quali. Compared to over 300k through the gates at Silverstone over the weekend. 

You can't really compare the two gate figures , the British GP is the only event that many of the back room F1 team workers and their families get to go. The UK based teams of which there are many also use this as a corporate event

You can't really compare the two gate figures , the British GP is the only event that many of the back room F1 team workers and their families get to go. The UK based teams of which there are many also use this as a corporate event

Fair point. I still would have thought that the Germans would have had more interest with a 4 time champion, a championship contender and a German name winning everything. Maybe they haven't warmed to Vettel and Rosberg like they did to Schumacher.

I think they simply came to the party a year too early. Engine on the dyno was fine but when they "shrink-wrapped" it in the bodywork it started to overheat and apart form redesigning the whole rear end there is not much they can do. I think power wise on the dyno they are not far behind Mercs if at all but the package is at best 30% ready. They will be fine next year imho opinion and should really use this year as development only and forget about racing really...

If the engine is as good as you reckon (which I doubt) and the chassis is rubbish, then Honda will probably look next year for a customer renowned for chassis and aero but really unhappy with their current engine partner - I wonder who that could be? 

And don't say it'll never happen - Honda walked out on Williams before the '88 season despite winning both titles in '87.

If the engine is as good as you reckon (which I doubt) and the chassis is rubbish, then Honda will probably look next year for a customer renowned for chassis and aero but really unhappy with their current engine partner - I wonder who that could be? 

I am going to push the boat out here and suggest that could be..........Red Bull??  :peek: . I also would not be surprised to see that happen especially with how vocal Horner and Newey are being about how this years Renault is a step backwards from what they had at Abu Dhabi last year.

If McLaren don't buck up it'll happen.

Honda did it more than once - they also agreed a works deal with BAR and then gave a succesful customer (Jordan) the same spec motors. BAR were not happy.

Edited by camelspyyder

They should ask Susie for help in sorting themselves out (the vid)

https://twitter.com/Susie_Wolff/status/579930452103852032

she is good, bit static with those kicks but first class left jab!

EDIT: Adrian has to blame somebody. It is not possible that him spending less than half of his time with F1 might have some bearing on their car being crap, now is it?

Edited by Jabozuma
  • Like 1

Handbags at RBR -

Renault chief Cyril Abiteboul has accused Red Bull's Adrian Newey of lying after he blamed the car's problems on the engine:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/32050898

By that argument it's Skoda's aero dept that are to blame for my TDi110 not being as fast as a vRS180! ;)

• Like 3

By that argument it's Skoda's aero dept that are to blame for my TDi110 not being as fast as a vRS180! ;)

If you could tempt Adrian Newey away from f1 and his other commitments I'm sure he could sort that for you with some form of exhaust blown diffuser or questionable flexible front bodywork  :D .

• Like 1

I am sure I am getting that impression they are falling out really. Fernando got an almighty head banger and to be honest I'd not put too much money on what he thinks he can remember really.

As usual press is making a great story out of nothing here.

I'd rather be driving for McHonda than for RB at the moment ;)

Jabozuma, on 27 Mar 2015 - 23:27, said:

I am sure I am getting that impression they are falling out really. Fernando got an almighty head banger and to be honest I'd not put too much money on what he thinks he can remember really.

As usual press is making a great story out of nothing here.

I'd rather be driving for McHonda than for RB at the moment ;)

I think RB / Renault are just making noise to try and get the engine rules freed up.  I don't for a minute think either will quit. 

Red Bull are contracted to F1 (Bernie) to enter 4 cars till 2020. If they think CVC will let them walk away with a quarter of their F1 product they must be mad.

Back to Alonso, I think the McHonda is so much worse than he expected his motivation's probably waning...

Edited by camelspyyder

Granted, I can understand that it must be hard to keep smiling while trying to drive sth which is probably slower than a GP2 car but on the other hand it'd say a lot abiut him if he was to throw his toys out at the first sign of adversity...

Speaking of falling out...

How come Hamilton didn't have a go at Nico in public for blocking him in Q3.

From the overhead it was blatant - Lewis was on a qually lap and Rosberg just bimbled along the racing line into turn 7 ruining his rivals line through 7 & 8.

Should get a penalty, but I guess Merc wont protest their own car.

If Vettel had gone a tenth faster to get pole the Merc press conference would have been fun :)

Edited by camelspyyder