2015 F1 General Discussion Thread

Ouch.

He will still be earning £8 million a year at McLaren plus any other sources of income he has. He could also be in a car capable of winning a world title. 

Maybe its that rose-tinted spectacle time of the year but I am looking forward to next season already. Alonso and Button should be able toi develop the McLaren so even if it is't right on it from the start it shouldn't take them too long to be getting the best out of it. Whether that will be good enough to challenge the Mercs we will have to wait and see. Red Bull will be better next year. Unfortunately I don't see Ferrari catching up; I don't rate Vettel or Raikkonen to be able to develop a car; they are both capable of driving a car quickly but developing a poor one? Not sure about that.

• Like 1

How will anyone know if next years Ferrari is fast anyhow? Both the drivers got comprehensively mashed by their 2014 team mates.

And if the McLaren is a...

car capable of winning a world title. 

then you know it's going to be the Spanish guy who wins it.  No offence to JB, but Alonso is one of the absolute best out there.

• Like 1

Personally I'm hoping 2015 is Williams year. Based on this year I can see plenty of podiums for them

Agreed -  Bo77as is a real class act, Massa can still have blindingly good days too, but more than that, the tech team is looking strong.  Pat Symonds is one of the few to have successfully locked horns with Newey and Brawn over the last 30 years, and having Rob Smedley in as team manager (in effect) is getting the race team to operate in a much more canny and efficient way.  I think they are aiming for some wins next year, not just podium places.

• Like 1

Co-incidence, most likely yes, but...

Williams had a poor period when they were utilising the services of one Sam Michael.

He went to McLaren, who got worse, while Williams are on the way back up.

If he appears at a V8 Supercars team, I'll look for them to head backwards. McLaren can only go up now.

Co-incidence, most likely yes, but...

Williams had a poor period when they were utilising the services of one Sam Michael.

He went to McLaren, who got worse, while Williams are on the way back up.

If he appears at a V8 Supercars team, I'll look for them to head backwards. McLaren can only go up now.

To be fair Williams haven't built a truly top car since 1997, but yes Sam went there in 2001 and apart from a few wins from the monster BMW motor, there wasn't much to shout about.

I seem to recall he fell on his sword at Williams, taking the blame for yet another sh*tbox. I was amazed he was picked up by McLaren subsequently, I thought his reputation was in tatters already.

more blood-letting at Ferrari:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117169

Chief engineer and chief designer fired, to follow on from the star driver, head of the engine department, 2 team principals, and the company president all this year.

I wonder if Vettel still thinks it's a good idea?

Edited by camelspyyder

add Ferrari's tyre expert Hamashima - ex-head of Bridgestone F1 - to the P45 list.

Is it never going to end?

At this rate Vettel and Kimi will have to build it, race it, do each others pit-stops...

Edited by camelspyyder

You can't hear that american twang he's adopted?

sounds like any other southerner to me

Just going back to this briefly, I'm currently watching Jonathan Ross show with Lewis on it, seems to have a perfectly normal accent to me! But I am 'southern' I guess. Him and Ed Sheeran on the little electric cars are hilarious :D 

So who's gonna win next year?

The New Improved Hamilton?

Will Rosberg ever be as close again?

Ricciardo ?- with Renault power - nope

Alonso ?- with Honda a year late - nope

Vettel ?- in a red shed - nope

Bo77as - ???

If it's between the two Mercs then Hamilton for me. I'd LOVE to see Williams pull something out the bag and Bottas getting in the mix almost as much as I'd like to see Button get in there. Time will tell, it's all up in the air with all the engine development bull**** going on at the moment too. Everyone is expecting Merc to walk it again so anything other than that will be a shock.

• 3 weeks later...

It is not costs killing off teams, it is the unabashed corporate greed personified by the Evil Dwarf Eccelstone.

There is more than enough money in the sport for all teams to thrive and be profitable. Unfortunately they "do not own the fruit of their labor" (or ws it tools?) and therefore have naught to say about things. Few lucky ones have the money form other sources

I wish Honda could mount a challenge in their firs year but is highly unlikely. Renault is too far behind to be a contender and Ferrari undergoes such huge internal organization changes that they will be lucky to have a working car on the grid for the first race...

For me the highlight of the 2015 season will be Button v. Alonso rivalry. I so wish Jenson whoops Fernandon's derriere!

• Like 1