draining the bank account!

stann01

ok, what was going to be a cost saving exercise is turning into a money pit :dull:

bought the fabia vrs because its cheaper to run than the bmw 325 i had and it is.

it had a problem with the console on the wishbone as the previous owner decided to glue the console bolt in :sweat: , it was coming out and lucky i got to a garage in time!!

in turn it balded the front tyre so had to re-replace as only just replaced them :'( .

had to replace the front speakers as passenger front was blown. ebay specials done the trick!

so end of last week the radiator decided to start leaking, just got it replaced, could of done it myself but with the cold weather could not be bothered, got my pants pulled down a bit on the price but its done now and hope thats the end of my wallet taking a hammering.

any one else have issues that seem to be never ending?

i bought mine from ireland meet him in liverpool blew the turbo up on way home! £700 new genuine garrett pd150 blew that up 3 weeks later now running a hybrid with no problems turbo wise engine wise new cam as it worn through the buckets, sealed rear doors, everything else didn't need but hey i got a tuning problem

• Like 1

You don't say how old your car is but surely you appreciate that when you buy an old used car (and it must be at least 7 years old) you're almost certainly buying someone else's unloved old car. And even if they did love it they probably decided to sell it either because they're trading up (in which case you're quite likely to stop doing the smaller maintenance jobs) or something expensive is on it's way out or has already failed.

My dad always said keep 20% of the budget back for rectification work when buying bangers and I'm afraid that rule still holds true today.

My vRS was SWMBO's daily driver and it cost about £750/year to keep it perfect mechanically including main dealer servicing. If I keep on top of it it will go on forever. I had mine from new and I think you have to be realistic when you buy someone else's car. It's going to cost you money to make it the way you want it. At least once you've spent the initial outlay you'll have the sturdy, reliable car you wanted from the outset.

• Like 2

I've spent what I paid for mine on it already! New cambelt, fuel filters, oil filters, new oil, new uprated battery, pollen filters, windscreen wipers, leaky doors and eletrical gremlins but it was up for £1400 on the forecourt and I got it for £750 (delivered) gonna need some new boots at some point too, cars are money pits, get used to it

Edited by SkUG
  • Like 1

M y workmate brought a beemer 530 off of his oldmkan who had from new and treated it withy a lot of care, within a month of my work mate buying it the turbo went pop. £2000 later it still wasn't right so back into bmw it went, over £600 and two injectors later he finally had it working right, by that time he lost confidence and traded it in.

So you can have probles with brand new cars, used just depends on your luck.

Yep that's why he traded it in for a new one on finance. I personally wouldnt touch finance but for him it was right, brand new all singing all dancing beemer with no servicing, no repairs just pay the monthly fee then in 4 years time he'll trade it in for another new car.

Bought mine last week, so far new wiper blades, new battery, now in garage for a break issue.... It's a 53 plate car so is to be expected but still better than my old Audi A4 20v which was going wrong almost weekly......

I agree with the comments about having to spend some dosh on an old car but doesn't glueing the bolt in belong to a different league?

Isn't selling a car knowing that it is in a potentially dangerous condition a criminal act by the seller or does "buyer beware" apply 100% ?

Are there any legal experts out there?

• Like 1

I agree with the comments about having to spend some dosh on an old car but doesn't glueing the bolt in belong to a different league?

Isn't selling a car knowing that it is in a potentially dangerous condition a criminal act by the seller or does "buyer beware" apply 100% ?

Are there any legal experts out there?

I'm not a legal expert but the problem you have is proving that the previous owner did the terrible thing, he can simply claim he had no idea that this bolt was glued in place when he sold it to you and that he sold it in good faith.

You know he's lying and I know he's lying but the law is about what you can prove, therefore you'll just have to swallow it and be glad it didn't cause an accident.

• Like 1

Problem was he was always thinking what next and how much. £3000 on a car he had for a month with a baby on the way, wasn't worth the risk.

Exact same situation with me tho Iv bought it and its all going wrong lol....

I'm not a legal expert but the problem you have is proving that the previous owner did the terrible thing, he can simply claim he had no idea that this bolt was glued in place when he sold it to you and that he sold it in good faith.

You know he's lying and I know he's lying but the law is about what you can prove, therefore you'll just have to swallow it and be glad it didn't cause an accident.

yes he told me he replaced the bushes, which would of envolved removing console bolt! can not prove anything like you said.

gargage was flabbergasted how i made it to them!

just got to swallow a lot of costs and get on with it :notme:

i like the car, its got nice power and feels like a bigger car than it is which is good.

since new consoles have been done i still get a knocking from bumps in the road/speedbumps ect, garage said roll bar bushes?

:rain:  it will soon be perfect :x

Yep sorry man, mine's been a never ending ending pit: 

2 clutches,

1 dmf,

1 gearbox,

drop links (twice),

console bushes (now gone again),

discs pads front and back (routine)

track rods,

6 tyres (kind of routine)

arb bushes,

cambelt and waterpump (routine)

speaker

sump

I still love the car as its so nippy and fuel efficient, but i'm going to buy a BMW now as it seems there's less to go wrong, will take the hit on fuel/tax etc