best cars for £2-3k?

Torteption

Looking to move on from my fabia 1.4mpi next year, And i was wondering what to go for next. I will be 22 with 3yr NCB and 2k cash and will have the fabia for sale so possibly 3k to play with. I would prefer RWD with possibly a turbo but i'll certainly look into other cars (unless it's a ford i can't stand any of them :D ) So what do people suggest or recommend?

Here's a few i have been looking at and consider candidates but i'm after other suggestions or opinions if you have owned one?

Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo

Renault Clio 182

Mitsubishi FTO or the bigger GTO Twin Turbo

Toyota Supra MA70

Subaru Impreza WRX GC8 wagon

EDIT: Forgot to mention i quite like yank tanks if i could get a camaro i'd be well chuffed

Edited by Torteption

Clio is probably the easiest option. Fast but cheap and not too hard to repair. Reasonably practical too.

I know a guy with an 05 worth only about £1500 but it's used daily and gives few problems.

Japanese motors will be more interesting but are going to be a lot more expensive to run and you might run into issues sourcing parts.

Clio would be fun, especially if you plan to jump on some track days.

I'm looking to buy a 172/182 for track :)

Deffo want to do track at some point, The 1.4mpi estate would look pretty funny at knockhill possibly the slowest car they have ever seen?  :giggle:

Amen! Another one I'd recommend would be the Seat Cupra MK3 20vt Ibiza. I owned one for over a year and bloody loved it, not many about but if you find a goody go for it. They're around 1-2,500k so well within budget. Can be easily remapped to 200bhp, mine was and went like a fast thing.

(Incase you don't know what they look like) - http://s382.photobucket.com/user/rhydianjones/media/3.jpg.html

• Like 1

Amen! Another one I'd recommend would be the Seat Cupra MK3 20vt Ibiza. I owned one for over a year and bloody loved it, not many about but if you find a goody go for it. They're around 1-2,500k so well within budget. Can be easily remapped to 200bhp, mine was and went like a fast thing.

(Incase you don't know what they look like) - http://s382.photobucket.com/user/rhydianjones/media/3.jpg.html

One of those goes around edinburgh and it's quick, Never looked at them either  :think:

My mates just bought a Nissan Skyline r32 gtst for a little more than your budget.

RWD. 320bhp (updated turbo) 2,5 litre.

Surprisingly good condition too for the age of it.

Running costs wont be cheap though obv.

Will be hard to find a r32 gtst not that i would'nt try haha but the costs would probably kill that for me 

How about an MX5? A friend of mine has a mk1, really nicely handing car - very tail happy and quick enough with the 1.8 engine in such a small car. It's not that 'left field', but you could get a very nice one for £3k.

How about an MX5? A friend of mine has a mk1, really nicely handing car - very tail happy and quick enough with the 1.8 engine in such a small car. It's not that 'left field', but you could get a very nice one for £3k.

Was looking at them if i was gonna go for one it would be the mk1 with the pop-up's because pop-up's don't need explaining  :D

• Like 2

For a good tunable car that wears a cloak of invisibility if you want it to,

a Golf is pretty hard to beat.

Think the mk5 would be out of reach but a mk4 1.8 t is a solid car could get a good one for 2-3k 

Maybe worth a look though.

Yeah the costs are killin him tbf. Its not cheap.

Centainly worth a look never even knew i could get a skyline as a second car  :D  fabia 1.4 to a r32 gtst quite a jump there

Clio 172/182

200 SX (hard to find a good one)

Civic Type R

Leon Cupra R (might be higher miles/rough one at sub £3k though)

Octavia VRS mk1

Mk2 MR2 (rev3+)

Celica 190

MX-5

VW Corrado

I wouldn't fancy the running costs of some of the other cars you listed (though the 200SX in my list above wouldn't be cheap to run either). I like the look of FTOs but finding a good manual one could take a while and the Clio/Civic would probably be a better option anyway.

The Clio is perfect for getting into trackdays and aside from cambelt changes they are pretty cheap to run - parts are generally cheaper than on German and Japanese cars.