winter use advice

federalexpress

Well I use Hill Descent Control at least once a day, often many times a day, and it will adopt the speed you choose using the throttle and the brake up to a certain speed around 20mph iirc.. The one thing to watch out for on variable slopes is that it will cut out when the slope is only slight and not re-engage if your speed therefore increases to over the 20(?)mph. Can be very disconcerting when farming next door's fields...

You can also confuse it by cornering. Turn the steering more than a few degrees and the car may speed up a bit and only regain the "set" speed when you straighten up. I assume it;s because it uses the ABS sensors and when you turn, the wheel on the inside of the turn doesn't have as far to go so the car speeds up to compensate.

Or at least that's what happens on left turns.....  I've not much experience on right turns as I've only really noticed it on our local Tesco multi-storey car park spiral ramp, which only turns left!!

In the DSG version it seems to keep the speed at whatever it was when you took your foot off the throttle (presumably with a some sort of maximum applied).  That means it usually go down in 2nd, which seems to work just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Because my hobby entails me in driving to places lots of people would think thrice about driving to!

(and no that isn't a spelling mistake!!)

Ha Ha!  Having had the pleasure to meet you a couple of times now in pursuit of your hobby Graham (and remain very grateful to you and others who share the same altruistic hobby), this response did make me smile! :D   Totally agree most sane people would not dream of taking their cars to the places you take your Yeti. :clap:  

With a wry smile also that I got there in a 2WD Chrysler Avenger most recently - OK in deference to the thread - that was wearing Kumho's best forest pattern knobblies.  My point being that with the right tyres you can get to all the places you want, without even any electronic aids.  In answer to the OP - the tyres make all the difference. :rain:  :coffee:

Edited by FlintstoneR1
  • Like 1