De-badge or not to de-badge that is the question?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I did it. I'm pleased I did too.

The lambs wool mitt kept getting stuck in the skoda badge!

4b877889447d41d9e70b0e2bf38364f2.jpg

A new trend, felt lettering

0adf57afe29e1062b4ad537feb4128fd.jpg

Before and after

21f2117016d4b46ffcf3d8cc98c756aa.jpg

a75cf387fd3dabf8e0504b7314b74935.jpg

Now get rid of the vrs badge and you've completed the job... :clap:

I will get my new Octavia in two weeks and today I asked my dealer if they could de-dadge it for me. They didn´t want to do it. Only if I sign a paper that I must pay if the paint are going away.

So what do you think? Is it common for the paint to go away when de-badging? Is it better to wait until the paint is a month old or so? Maybe the paint are too soft when its new.

I'm pretty sure I saw your car when I was visiting a friend in Greenhithe last weekend. Looks fantastic!

Yip, that was me! I saw you in the rear view mirror and noticed the black Skoda badge on the white, so much better looking than the standard badge I reckon!

I was a little embarrassed at how dirty my car was to be honest...

• Like 1

I will get my new Octavia in two weeks and today I asked my dealer if they could de-dadge it for me. They didn´t want to do it. Only if I sign a paper that I must pay if the paint are going away.

So what do you think? Is it common for the paint to go away when de-badging? Is it better to wait until the paint is a month old or so? Maybe the paint are too soft when its new.

Hmm, haven't heard of that being a problem. But I'm in NZ so the car takes literally months from factory to dealer.

It takes very little heat to get the glue to move, I reckon I could have done it with the car left in the sun on a hot day! Can't see a gentle heat from a hair dryer or heat gun (on low...) or the glue coming off damaging the paint.

It's really easy to do, maybe do it yourself, that way you'll know the person doing it is being very careful!

Have to say I do like it with just the vRS badge on the tailgate....however on the regular cars they do tend to look better with the Skoda and Octavia badging retained.

It does IMHO look a little plain with just the Skoda emblem and nothing else.

I think if I ever did it to my regular O3 (which I wouldnt) I think i'd have to buy the engine tech badging for it and stick that on the bottom right of the tailgate first (as the v early cars arrived with).

When you peel off the glue, use a hairdryer and keep your thumb in the flow to make sure it does not get too hot. Then start peeling from one side and keep blowing between the paint and glue. Should come off almost perfectly. I used small amount of bug and tar removal with microfiber cloth to get rid of the rest.

So what do you think? Is it common for the paint to go away when de-badging? Is it better to wait until the paint is a month old or so? Maybe the paint are too soft when its new.

That's a load of croc... My dealer asked me if he should debadge it, so either yours is too careful or mine not enough ;-)

I wouldn't do it on a newly painted car that's right, but by the time you get the car the paint is old enough. Just do what the lads said. I did the same on my car (not the Octy) and there were no problems.

I'm still not sure how I want my backend to look like...

Some wont risk it as they dont want any reprisals for marking/scratching the paint as its easily done no matter how careful you are.

Signing a disclaimer is fair enough in this case as they'll do it but at your own risk.

Fair enough, but if anyone knows how to treat paintwork and do it without damaging it should be a dealer/repairshop. If they have to replace your bonnet, they don't ask you to sign anything in case the windshield gets damaged.

Unless there are some peopel whoa sk them to debadge, then look for the tiniest scratch and then sue them?