first motorway drive in 1.4 TSi

Collected my kid from Gatwick today so had first blast up the motorway and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that the new 1.4 still showed plenty of grunt, in top gear, when needed to get past trucks and so on. I thought it would be a bit tame at cruising speeds in top but it is pretty good! And still only about 750 miles on the clock from new. Very nice motor.

Hi,

Placed my order for the 1.4 tsi end of November got a build date week 2 so should be arriving sometime Feb.Had a test drive in the Estate 1.4 tsi and like you say it pulls very well.

Yes, had mine for just over 1000k's now, and it fantastic on the highway. Compared to the last few manuals i've had, its a bit harder to pull away smoothly (there is absolutely nothing under ~1500) but you do get used to it! Any anything over that is great!

For the size of the car and the engine, its decent. We're happy with ours at least! I will say, having used ACC I wont own another car with normal cruise control now - ACC is that much better! And xenons are bloody awesome too!

Good to hear you're liking the motor. Took my 1.4 dsg on its first 'long' run the day after I got it, 250 miles to Suffolk and back and agree it is an effortless cruiser. 41mpg which will only improve I hope. My brother has a 8 month old mk7 golf 1.4 dsg and had 46mpg for a London to Halifax run.

I will say, having used ACC I wont own another car with normal cruise control now - ACC is that much better! And xenons are bloody awesome too!

Agree with both those points. Love the xenons! Do wish I could turn off corning fogs in the infotainment though.

Hi,

Placed my order for the 1.4 tsi end of November got a build date week 2 so should be arriving sometime Feb.Had a test drive in the Estate 1.4 tsi and like you say it pulls very well.

Welcome to the forum D1956.

I placed my order mid October and still do not have any idea of build week :x Must chase up ( or should that be wake up :notme:  ) my dealer in the new year. I did not want to take delivery until March 1st anyway so not that bothered, yet.

I was also very impressed with the grunt of the 1.4TSI and the £30 a year tax.

Happy New Year everyone :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail:

Thank you,

I understand build weeks can change not got many extra's on mine, spare wheel,colour maxidot and metallic paint.

Would like it in March but from ordering at the end of November and getting a build week of week 2 isn't too bad.

Regards,

David

I was also very impressed with the grunt of the 1.4TSI and the £30 a year tax.

My road tax (from second year onwards, is £110. Are automatics cheaper? 

My road tax (from second year onwards, is £110. Are automatics cheaper? 

Co2 emissions from Octy brochure:

1.4TSI Manual Petrol 121 g/km 121 = Band D (121~130) 2nd year £110

1.4TSI DSG Petrol 116 g/km     116 = Band C (111~120) 2nd year £30

1 lousy g/km costs another £80 a year in road tax. BUT the DSG costs around £1,250.00 more to buy so it will take about 15 years to make up the difference! Mind you that DSG is a nice piece of kit............. :clap: ;)

Road Tax or DSG? :sweat: :think:

1 lousy g/km costs another £80 a year in road tax. BUT the DSG costs around £1,250.00 more to buy so it will take about 15 years to make up the difference! Mind you that DSG is a nice piece of kit............. :clap: ;)

Well at least the first year is free. And after that it is half the annual tax of my previous 1.8 TSi.

And my first 3 years servicing is free.

So is my AA membership...can't complain really!!

Earlier this year I did mansfield to Skegness, 80 miles through Lincolnshire with luggage and got 62 mpg on the maxidot of my 1.4 manual combi when I arrived. I never got that with a diesel mondeo. Daily use I do 11 miles to work & back through busy traffic, plenty of sitting in queues and I get between 35 to 43 mpg on maxidot.

Well, I was told I'd have to wait until April for my 1.4 Elegance, and then all of a sudden it arrived in the UK the week before last and I picked it up last Saturday. Very happy so far.

It is likely that someone else specced their car identically then cancelled the order, so their car became yours.

I went manual because the 7 speed DSG has more problems than the tougher 6 speed DSG!

I went manual because the 7 speed DSG has more problems than the tougher 6 speed DSG!

I got a manual for the same reason. Plus it is much cheaper (allowing me to get some nice options), and more fun to drive.

Although, I thought the new 7 speed is now a wet clutch design that should avoid most of those problems...

Its a great car Mike bit of a sleeper in the looks Dept. but, I quite like it that way.  This is also a great place for answers should you have any problems or querries.

Yep defo a sleeper, certainly surprised the Mk2 VRS driver that I followed the other day as he/she accelerated to pass traffic and then later on tried to under take me in my 1.4 with three passengers.

The 7 speed is still a dry clutch, VW changed the oil in the boxes being used in hot humid countries.

I have had 'Auto' boxes and have never really liked them. However the Mrs is having left knee problems so we both decided to try the auto option again. The best we found was the DSG and I need/like a large estate with good economy, good reliability, and good all round value. (Due to low mileage a diesel is not an option) I Looked at the more Sportier versions but I drive with 'spirit' more than 'sport' in mind so I hope I do not have to worry too much about the 7 speed DSG box falling apart!

So I ordered my Octy and the wife bought a Rapid Spaceback 1.4 DSG and is really delighted with it.

It seems that  no matter what you buy these days something will go wrong somewhere at sometime, if you read the tales of woe on most forums of any make you would never buy a car at all!. From Fiat's that cannot go up hills, to rattles in the door its all there for you to read.

I do read a lot of forum posts relating to cars I own at the time;  and the help, advice and knowledge given by those members is invaluable in knowing the possible pitfalls of your car (and more importantly what to do about it). Indeed my wife had a turbo fail on her BMW 3 series out of warranty, the dealer quoted around £2.500 for a new one. A search of the BMWLand forum revealed that there was a batch of dodgy turbos fitted to some 3 series. A deeper check found she had one of the dodgy turbos so instead of paying the £2.500 BMW originally wanted she paid £200 towards the replacement costs and BMW/Dealer sorted out the balance between them :happy:.

I have not yet read up on the problems with the 7 speed versus the 6 speed and wet and dry clutches so at least I will soon be aware of them.