Help please

Hello

I have a skoda fabia VRS mk1. The problem I have is that if I leave my car running with the lights on and heaters and music all my dashboard lights come on and start to flicker. The power steering light comes on and it looses the power steering. The Rev needle bounces up and down while driving also. All the lights will stop on until I turn the engine off. I'll then try and start the car up but it will be complety dead. I then have to Jump the car off another car which works first time everytime. I have swopped the Alternator and had the battery checked and is fine apparently. Anyone got any suggestions?

You say apparantly

Does this mean you didnt check this yourself? Swapped alternator as in a new 1?

Have you done a visual check to see if the aux belt isnt jumping.

Or the belt has been adjusted properly (not tight enough)

Edited by vzo25

Check the two thin wires that go from the alternator to a two-way connector on the front of the gearbox. Extremely common for one or both of these wires to snap near this connection. Many a good alternator has been replaced prior to finding this wiring problem. If you search for "load sense" in this forum, you should get lots of info and some pictures.

Thank you both for the reply. The battery has been checked by county batteries. They were the ones who said my alternator wasn't working. I've put a brand new one on. To be honest with you I'm not particularly good with cars. I'll have a look around on here for more info. Will keep you updated

FINALLY my VRS is fixed. In the end was the battery. The battery was only 2 years old and when tested said it was fine. Put another battery on and it works like a dream. All flashing lights stopped and doesn't cut out after two minutes.

Ok I was a little premature. Driving home in the snow tonight. Doing about 25mph for 3 miles and all the lights came back on. Major power fail again. The battery I put in my car was one I had taken off a old 1.9 diesel vw. The battery was brand new and was on the vw for about two weeks. It's been stored off the floor in my garage for a while tho. Seems to have a bit of life in it but not enough to start. Any ideas ?

Yeah checked the cable, looks fine and isn't snapped at the ends

you've unplugged it and checked?

If nothing is visible it's still worth checking the wire continuity incase the wires have broken, but not broke the insulation around the wire.

How tight is the wiring? As this causes the problems, the loom being too tight.