Which LED TV?

airscool

OK so a few days before Christmas our old hand me down TV packed up and with a new child imminent we have decided to invest in a new one!

Budget is around £300 but could stretch slightly more if you can convince us. Size no bigger then 40" as we do not have the space and a central stand/foot as we like to be able to rotate it. We have Virgin Tivo so not sure if we really need a Smart option, although we would like to be able to watch Red Bull TV for the DH racing and will subscribe to the Eurosport Player app to catch the major the cycling in the summer, so perhaps some way of getting on to the interwebnet without plugging in the lap top to the TV.

Any advice, thoughts, knowledge greatly appreciated.

Oh and not arsed about 3D!

We had a Samsung, good Tele. Then a Toshiba, not the best sound quality I found but good picture although it developed a slight shadow. As such needed a replacement on a tight budget, Argos had a Bush Smart tv reduced. Nice Tele for the money but not the most reliable, our first went back within first few days, replacement is better but does weird things, will probably call it in when I can be bothered, can live with it. Upshot is, those were all in your budget, if I had the choice again I'd go Samsung especially if you don't really need the Smart option, well rounded teles for sound and picture.

• Like 1

This is £229 in Argos at moment 'Hitatchi 42" LED Smart TV' (SMART via ethernet cable or wifi dongle ((purchase separately))). I know it's a bit over 40" but still a cracking deal. Both my parents have 42" LCD Toshiba's of different ages and specs, both have been perfectly fine as their main TV's. 

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/2398095.htm?tag=ar:pc:ecomm:hitachi

Budget option for a 40" LED TV = Tesco £179 

http://www.tesco.com/direct/blaupunkt-40148-40-inch-full-hd-1080p-led-tv-with-freeview-hd/372-5799.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=372-5799

• Like 2

No idea on a TV in that budget but can reccomend "Richer Sounds" you get a 5 year warranty AFAIK on all TV's I got a new one just before Christmas.

The warranty and price match can't go wrong.

BTW I have no affiliation to the company just thought worthy of a mention, especially the warranty!

• Like 1

Having always had Samsungs and thought they were great, this year we bought a Sony. The last Samsung (although it was perhaps three years old) has gone to Mother in law as she had a really old one. The Sony is worlds apart from the Samsung, although that could well be the possibility that technology has moved forwards.

• Like 1

This is one that I came across while trying to work my way through the minefield. What is the sound like and does it suffer from any motion blur?

Any make in particular or feature you would like?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

We would like to be able to watch Red Bull TV and we also have a subscription to Eurosport Player on the computer so would like to be able to watch these, preferably without plugging the laptop into the TV.

Does that mean we would need a Smart TV if we want to connect the internet to it?

We would like to be able to watch Red Bull TV and we also have a subscription to Eurosport Player on the computer so would like to be able to watch these, preferably without plugging the laptop into the TV.

Does that mean we would need a Smart TV if we want to connect the internet to it?

You could invest in a Google chromecast for £30 that will allow you to watch redbull on your TV.

This is £229 in Argos at moment 'Hitatchi 42" LED Smart TV' (SMART via ethernet cable or wifi dongle ((purchase separately))). I know it's a bit over 40" but still a cracking deal. Both my parents have 42" LCD Toshiba's of different ages and specs, both have been perfectly fine as their main TV's. 

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/2398095.htm?tag=ar:pc:ecomm:hitachi

Just got one of these for daughters bedroom today :thumbup:

One thing to point out is the stand doesn't swivel, which is a requirement for the OP (as well as the size is 2" more than required)

• Like 1

When buying "bargain" LCD beware HITACHI & bottom end TOSHIBA - they are no longer Japanese but made by VESTEL in turkey. (some JVC SHARP & PHILIPS too)

TV repair men cannot easily (if at all) get parts for these Turkish TV's.

We had a Turkish BUSH 32 LCD broke after 2 years -binned it due no spares.  Turkish TOSHIBA 42 LCD on/off switch broke after 18 months, too.

Full VESTEL brands list here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestel

check out the TV's you're interested in at:

https://www.avforums.com/

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 3

When buying "bargain" LCD beware HITACHI & bottom end TOSHIBA - they are no longer Japanese but made by VESTEL in turkey. (some JVC SHARP & PHILIPS too)

TV repair men cannot easily (if at all) get parts for these Turkish TV's.

We had a Turkish BUSH 32 LCD broke after 2 years -binned it due no spares. Turkish TOSHIBA 42 LCD on/off switch broke after 18 months, too.

Full VESTEL brands list here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestel

check out the TV's you're interested in at:

https://www.avforums.com/

That sir, has explained a lot.

Those were big names back in the day, of quality gear.

Growing up with the stuff, id rather buy sony or samsung.

I've never seen Hitachi and Toshiba as a quality manufacturer but couldnt understand how they got their well know name to start with. It must have been known as a quality brand a while back

Cheers!

• Like 1

Good point Camelspyder makes.

I bought a 3D LED Smart Panasonic for the living room, but the Hitachi was just occasional use in my kids bedroom.

At the price you pay for the Hitachi TV's now, it's not worth having them repaired anyway if they pack up.

I suppose you could either buy the extra warranty for peace of mind, or just use the standard year's one and be prepared to buy another if things go wrong after.

Sure I read somewhere that if you bought something that doesn't last a reasonable amount of time, you can take it up with small claims or at least threaten to, and the shop usually replaces it. 

Anyway, she's happy with it, and I'm happy with the small outlay for a big TV

Good point Camelspyder makes.

I bought a 3D LED Smart Panasonic for the living room, but the Hitachi was just occasional use in my kids bedroom.

At the price you pay for the Hitachi TV's now, it's not worth having them repaired anyway if they pack up.

I suppose you could either buy the extra warranty for peace of mind, or just use the standard year's one and be prepared to buy another if things go wrong after.

Sure I read somewhere that if you bought something that doesn't last a reasonable amount of time, you can take it up with small claims or at least threaten to, and the shop usually replaces it.

Anyway, she's happy with it, and I'm happy with the small outlay for a big TV

Worth noting that because we're part of the EU, a 2 year warranty may apply under their guidelines.

Here's some info on it...

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

Worth knowing if something breaks outside the standard 1 year.

Also, depending on place of purchase a lot of places extend the warranty to 5 years. Richer sounds, john Lewis etc.

Yes you can.  re the £399 BUSH LCD with a 12 month guarantee I had a few years ago - TESCO had to refund £280 after 23 months use because I used Sales of Goods Act 1979 on them.

here is a sample letter for use when it breaks down outside guarantee timings - just type this and change the bold bits to suit your situation

Your Name

And

Address

Postcode

To (Name of Retailer) Customer Services,

I purchased a (product name) from one of your stores on (date).

(Describe fault next).

Under the sales of goods act 1979 (As amended) any product purchased from a retailer in the UK must be of a satisfactory quality, a TV lasting for only 23 months is not of this quality as it is not durable and no longer fit for purpose. (as outlined in S14 SOGA79).

As the product is not of satisfactory quality I require (Name of Retailer)   to either repair or replace the product, without significant inconvenience, within a reasonable amount of time. (S48 SOGA79). Please note that I require the above as part of my statutory rights, and am not requesting a repair or replacement under the warranty.

I have enclosed a photocopy of the proof of purchase, the model number: (insert here). The exact fault is (describe) (as diagnosed, at my expense, by (TV engineer details).  The replacement part for this fault is no longer obtainable.

I expect a written reply within the next 14 days, which for a company the size of yours should be more then reasonable.

Sincerely

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 2