Caravanners What weight van do you tow?

Hi, I Just wanted to ask, as the Superb is regarded as such an excellent towcar in the caravan world, what weight vans do you tow and which model of the Superb do you have?

Researching with a view to changing my L & K Octavia est to a Superb est. Tdi of course

Regards

Ray

Hi I have a 58 170tdi 4x4 Elegance twindoor, I tow an 2011 Elddis Avante 554 which has a full laden weight of 1490 kg, it's just over 90% of the cars kerb weight but the Superb is excellent at towing it and it always feels more than capable.

I've a 61 plate 170 DSG Elegance towing a 2014 Swift Lifestyle 4CK (really Sprite 4 FB under the skin) which is 1350 kg fully loaded and an 85% weight match.  Apart from the very occasional loss of traction when starting off on gravel strewn steep hills it's been spot on.

We've just come back from a 5 night trip to East Yorkshire and a few days before we set off it snowed, gradually turning to compacted ice between our house and the road out of the village.  The route to the main road is slightly uphill with full-width speed bumps and I had no problem maintaining momentum once I'd got moving from the bottom of our gritted driveway.

I never intended to tow when I bought the Superb but made an impulse purchase of a folding camper in 2012, changed to a 2009 Elddis 4 berth caravan in 2013 and traded that in for the Swift earlier this year.  Since starting to tow I've towed a gnats under 7,000 miles and it's never missed a beat.

I went from a 55 plate PD105 Octavia 4x4 to a 62 CR170 4x4 manual est L&K and have been really happy with the upgrade.

The only thing I would say is that you have to work the gears more on the Superb. The Octavia would pull the Van in 6th happily on the motorway.

I towed my old 1410kg Bailey down to Bordeaux and back which was approx 1600 round trip and it performed really well. When we did the return trip we did it non stop that was how easy it was to tow the van.

I currently tow a Unicorn Valencia S1 1565kg and again have no problems.

Hi,

I have had a Superb Estate SE CR170 (2010) for the last 3 years and 44k miles, quite a lot of those towing both in the Uk and in France and Spain. We tow our Coachman Pastiche 460/2, which has a MPTLM of 1420kg, but its usual towing mass is around 1380kg. It has been an excellent towcar with plenty of torque and power. Also very stable even in some quite challenging sidewinds. Winter tyres help in getting on and off wet grass on CLs.

Cheers

Paul R T

I tow a Bailey Pageant Provence (Mass in Running Order (Kg) - 1205, Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass (Kg) - 1420) with my 2012 Superb 2.0 TDI 170.

First caravan I've owned so I can't really compare to anything else but the car is faultless - did 450 miles in one day last summer back from Belgium and it was a breeze  

•  

Thank you for the replies everyone. The deed is done and I am finally joining the Superb fraternity ;-)

I've done a deal on a 2014 superb combi elegance. Can't wait to collect it.

Ray

Hi Ray, think we have spoke before (roof bars for your octy) Well ive had 2 x superbs both 4x4 and tow vans our current combo is a 64 plate superb 170 4x4 dsg elegance estate and tow a swift challenger sport with a max laden weight of 1400 kg and it is so easy, the dsg is brill at towing and sits in 6th until we get to hills but it still returns 30 mpg towing. Phil

HIya Phil, yeah I recall buying the roof bars from you, they were for my silver hatch, I sold that last May and bought the same but the L & K estate. sadly it just doesn't handle our van as I'd like it so have chopped that in for the superb estate. Will probably be looking to get a map on it before too long and I don't suppose you are selling any roof bars are you ;-)

I'm also towing a challenger sport 524 and although the octy pulls it no worries, it sometimes feels like the van is pushing the car which makes for a nervous tow. I dropped on a 140 elegance estate for very good money mileage is a tad high for a 1 year old car but the deal was too good to walk away from, especially as i'll be keeping the car and don't do many miles, so the mileage will come back to average.

Thanks for the input, every bit helps

My outfit is a 2012 Superb 170 4x4 estate, with a Bailey Unicorn 2 Vigo, MTPLM 1498kg. Best combination I've ever towed even when compared to a slightly lighter shorter van with this car, and even when compared to towing with a LR Disco (mk1). I really like the 4x4 when towing as I've always struggled with front drive only if even slightly damp getting out of junctions smartly is an issue.

U3 Vigo arrives next spring!

Edited by lowedb
  • Like 1

I tow a Sterling Europa 460 (about 1300kg) with my 2012 Superb Combi 170 elegance.

I have enabled XDS using VCDS which stops a lot of the wheelspin on pull away without cutting the power - recommended!

I have towed with a variety of cars from a 4x4 Celica to a ford Galaxy & the Superb is by far the best, very stable & happy at 50/60 in 6th.

1420 kilos of Hobby caravan with a CR 140 estate. Excellent. Good power, pretty good economy, 32 to the gallon over 2500 kilometres, stable, no issues at all. 170 is probably better for long hills but apart from that mine is impressive.