New tyres time,looking for a quiter tyre.

Hello all,well its nearly time for new tyres all round due to normal wear,some puncture repairs and also some sidewall scuffs.

They have done 11000 very hard miles around Europe lugging heavy loads and me,i am also a heavy load :beer: .

At present conti 225 40 r18 92xl tyres are fitted and I am looking for replacements but I want the quietest tyre available,i am happy to pay for the extra quietness.

Superb combi 170 with a gear stick.2012 year.

Is there such a difference in 4db's as I have seen some Dunlop tyres with 68db noise level and my existing tyres are 72db.

The car has preformed so well over the 11000 miles I have had it,i love the car.

Edit,would there be any advantage fitting 225 45 18 tyres ?.

Thank you's in advance.

Edited by superb4me

I have just had dunlop sport blue responce fitted and they are a lot quieter than the bridgestone turanza e300 that I had.

The grip is a lott better in the wet but the trade of is they are a softer rubber compound so will not last as long as the bridgestones.

I got 19500 out of my bridgestone tyres from what I hear about the dunlop tyres I will be lucky to see 12000.

Car is a fabia tdi. 15 inch tyres.

Go for Goodyear efficent grip performance. Had them on my previous superb. MUCH more quet than contis. Also due to soft side wall the ride is more smooth. Fitting the 225 45 r18 size you will get even softer ride.

P.S. If you decide to take that measurment - let me know as I am going to buy the same tyres for next summer. Would like to know how the car rides with them.

I went from factory fit Conti Sport Contact 5 (72db) to GY EGP (69db) and the difference in tyre noise is very noticeable. I'm currently running winter tyres (Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme, also 69db). The quieter tyres seem to suit the car.

Edited by JakeBlade

They are and I appreciate greater torque and the 18" wheel will increase wear but it 6 times the wear rate seems alot. I was getting more mileage out of rears on an M5 than that.

I've got an  S with the 16.55.205  wheels , they are really comfy and  much quieter than my SE with it' s fancy rims  ,also the tyres are £65 each  :-) and I've just got 26 k from the fronts ( replaced with hankooks) . Price and noise is the price you pay for fancy wheels  

Edited by peterposh

I recently replaced Barum with some Falken ZE-914 Ecorun tyres from Black Circles at £88 a tyre. They seem pretty quiet to me. They were also the same price on Black Circles as they were at Camskills, which can usually beat Black Circle prices. I think I've done OK with these tyres both on price and on quietness.

Barum Bravuris 2.

Have had all the big brands, and overall satisfaction level has been the highest with these tyres.

They are cheap.

Have had them for 21k miles and they could do another 15k ish or more.

They are quiet. In fact very quiet.

They are not directional so X axle rotation is easy (and I do it every 3-6k miles)

Previously with Michelins I had bulging sudewalls for no real reason. Pirellis went 50p coin shaped and very very noisy!

Avons an overall fast wearing low grip tyre.

Dunlop nothing remarkable. Etc etc.

Barum any day for me from now on.

A mate swapped from a set of Goodyear Efficient Grips to Barum on my recommendation and has been very happy too (that's on an S max).

Today I replaced the two front tyres that were on the car when bought it last week. They were a horrible make, Kingstars and had around 7mm of tread left on them. They were really noisey. I replaced with Goodyear Efficient grip performance, and it has made the world of difference with regard to road noise.  

Thank you all for the advice,i have ordered 5 goodyear efficient grip performance tyres and getting them fitted tomorrow.

Also getting the tracking etc checked.

11000 miles is low,yes I agree  but they have been worked very hard,carrying very heavy loads often on 900 mile round trips twice a week and also all the tyres bar 1 has several puncture repairs. So for the sake of safety and my confidence its money well spent.

Thank you. :thumbup:

I am another one that has gone over to Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance and not regretted it. They are very quiet, grip well enough fo me and don't seem to be wearing excessively. I am very gentle on tyres anyway with most lasting 40-50,000 miles.

Edited by Pesmog

Just a quick update.

After searching the internet for tyres,i found an good price for fitted all inclusive,  i also wanted all 4 wheels geometry check and adjust.

So I found a local independent garage local to me (I am new to this area having just moved) and I phoned the garage to check they can do a computerised geometry check,they asked me to pop in for a chat before I order my internet tyres.

Guess what,they beat the internet prices and adjusted all 4 wheels geometry before and after,keeping me informed all the time.The geometry work including a before and after print out was FREE :clap: .

Full set of goodyear egp  fitted. The car has never been so smooth and silent to drive.

Thanks for all your advice.

• Like 2

I strongly disagree with that statement!

Each to their own Jake, I find them the best wearing,handling tyre, the only mthing I don't like is the prices,

Hankooks are good but they are midrange anyway so not what I was on about,

If I told you all what I use you'd scoff and call them ditchfinders, realitly is they perform as good if not better than tyres 2x their price, Nexen is the real laugh, fitted as standard on KIa's and they really are ditchfinders and not only myself that thinks so either, I laughed at the VX service guy when he tried to sell me a pair some time ago, like greasing your tyres before driving on a glass road.