Oil Temperature vRS TDI

Hi,

today I had a chance to drive with constant speed for prolonged period of time and watch oil temp on multicolor display.

When driving 125 Mph (200 km/h) with cruse control for 10-15 minutes, temperature is in range 115-120 C. Outside temp was 15 C.

This seems to me a little bit to much, as outside temp is low, and this is not peak power of this engine. I will try to drive it at max speed for 5-10 min (235 km/h).

Normal oil temp in city driving is around 100 C.

My next question is regarding chip tunning/remap. It seems to me that for serious high speed driving this car needs some change done to cooling system ? Any suggestions ?

• Like 1

My temp gets to 80 degrees before I get bored watching it, admittedly Im still running in......  and its just above freezing here.

With regards to tuning, a simple Stage 1 shouldn't require any increase in cooling, and Im certainly not planning doing anything to my cooling system.

Regards to Croatia, must come back some time again, lovely place...

When driving 125 Mph (200 km/h) with cruse control for 10-15 minutes, temperature is in range 115-120 C. Outside temp was 15 C.

LOL, this "thing" of 10'-15' at 200Km/h makes me smile (and almost envious)... and with cruise control!!!

You're lucky enough to drive on 40-50Km of very fast roads, but on the other side I can't see me using cruise control at such speeds, but maybe it's only me...

I'll keep an eye on my oil temp, but only at the speeds I'll be able to sustain :)

LOL, this "thing" of 10'-15' at 200Km/h makes me smile (and almost envious)... and with cruise control!!!

You're lucky enough to drive on 40-50Km of very fast roads, but on the other side I can't see me using cruise control at such speeds, but maybe it's only me...

I'll keep an eye on my oil temp, but only at the speeds I'll be able to sustain :)

Well, if you are not in southern Italy, you are not so far away for a weekend trip so you can try it yourself :)

Driving up to 178 km/h is 32 EUR if you pay within 3 days, up to 195 km/h is 65 EUR, and after that it gets ugly if you don't watch for interceptor cars (mostly A4 3.0 TDI) :)

Please if you can report your findings, temperature is going up fast, it needs less then 2-3 minutes at that speed.

My temp gets to 80 degrees before I get bored watching it, admittedly Im still running in......  and its just above freezing here.

With regards to tuning, a simple Stage 1 shouldn't require any increase in cooling, and Im certainly not planning doing anything to my cooling system.

Regards to Croatia, must come back some time again, lovely place...

When water is in stable state (90 C on my car), after few minutes, Oil temperature is at 100 C and it seems this is target temperature for this engine.

It depends how you plan to use Stage1 tuned car... If this is just occasional race on B roads with unsuspected opponent :), then probably colling is not a problem. But what about race track or highway race with high speeds ?

I am pretty stubborn when some 330d driver is trying to overtake me on highway, so this is really important info for me before I pay for Stage1 remap :)

If you come back with your car, try to go before or after main season, highway is almost empty and in very good shape.

When water is in stable state (90 C on my car), after few minutes, Oil temperature is at 100 C and it seems this is target temperature for this engine.

It depends how you plan to use Stage1 tuned car... If this is just occasional race on B roads with unsuspected opponent :), then probably colling is not a problem. But what about race track or highway race with high speeds ?

I am pretty stubborn when some 330d driver is trying to overtake me on highway, so this is really important info for me before I pay for Stage1 remap :)

If you come back with your car, try to go before or after main season, highway is almost empty and in very good shape.

Sadly, we have fine institutions known as road policing units and speed limits... and racing on the public highway is considered anti social - unfortunately its not all Top Gear in reality here..

I still doubt you will need extra cooling, ive run two previous Vrs's (Mk1 and Mk2) with remaps and not needed extra cooling. I also run at the Nordschliefe a few times....

I am very envious of you.  Here in Australia we are called the Nanny state.  The most I can drive at is 110KPH.  There are radars and police everywhere.  I might have to ship my VRS over to Croatia just for the speed thrill (anyway I was born in Croatia and moved to Australia a long time ago).  I should have stayed.

This is what say in the manual:

If the temperature lies below 80˙C or above 110˙C, avoid high engine revs, full throttle and high engine loads.

I've a feeling there is some warning/advice in the manual about backing off if the oil temperature rsies over 115C, I could be making that up though, but worth a check.

I am very envious of you. Here in Australia we are called the Nanny state. The most I can drive at is 110KPH. There are radars and police everywhere. I might have to ship my VRS over to Croatia just for the speed thrill (anyway I was born in Croatia and moved to Australia a long time ago). I should have stayed.

That's 10km/h faster than is legal in NZ!

Over the Xmas holiday period the cops had a "zero tolerance" policy too, meaning they could ticket you for doing 101km/h in a 100km/h zone. Not sure how it would hold up if challenged (margin of error etc.), but that was there advertised approach.

But this is another topic, apologies to the OP for the slight thread hijack!

This is what say in the manual:

If the temperature lies below 80˙C or above 110˙C, avoid high engine revs, full throttle and high engine loads.

Yes, this is why it worries me. At that speed, engine is reving at about 3250 rpm.

So our beloved car is not made for that speed, or manual is to conservative ?

I am very envious of you.  Here in Australia we are called the Nanny state.  The most I can drive at is 110KPH.  There are radars and police everywhere.  I might have to ship my VRS over to Croatia just for the speed thrill (anyway I was born in Croatia and moved to Australia a long time ago).  I should have stayed.

We here are envious to Germany, as there is no speed limit on highway (on most of them anyway), and you dont need to look at your mirrors to spot interceptor cars. So if you decide to ship it, ship it to Germany :)

My Brother goes to Croatia every two years on holidays and he has Renalut Magane 1.2 litre at his cousins place.  He tells me that he drives that at 160KPH and he gets overtaken by faster cars.  They beep their horns at him because he is going too slow.

115-120C when driven at over 100mph doesn't surprise or concern me. Modern oils can comfortably tolerate temperatures in excess of 140C

If you are concerned, an oil cooler would help. The problem with the cooler (besides the price) is that it introduces one more place oil can leak.

115-120C when driven at over 100mph doesn't surprise or concern me. Modern oils can comfortably tolerate temperatures in excess of 140C

Yes, but it seems that degradation of oil is much faster in this type of use, so I should change it every 10k km instead of every 30k km

BTW, investigating further into oil temperature ranges, I have found this very interesting document, which is based on hard facts and scientific meassurement, and not redacted but oil manufacturers :)

It is shocking for me, as it proves that oil should be changed every 7000 km (4500 miles) if car is used in stop-go traffic (90%), even if you use recommended VW 507 00 oil like Castrol LongLife III

http://ip.simr.pw.edu.pl/zn/artykuly/zn5%2896%292013/077-088.pdf

• Like 1

Yes, but it seems that degradation of oil is much faster in this type of use, so I should change it every 10k km instead of every 30k km

BTW, investigating further into oil temperature ranges, I have found this very interesting document, which is based on hard facts and scientific meassurement, and not redacted but oil manufacturers :)

It is shocking for me, as it proves that oil should be changed every 7000 km (4500 miles) if car is used in stop-go traffic (90%), even if you use recommended VW 507 00 oil like Castrol LongLife III

To quote from Concluson:

It is evident from the above mentioned tests, that the drive of the „Go-Stop“ type considerably affects the degradation of motor oil  and

therefore it is important to shorten its use in the lubrication system of engines to approx. 25% to 30% of the life norm of the
oils of type LongLife (with life norm 30.000 km/3 years), i.e. to approx 7.000 km to 7.500 km. For standard MOs (with life norm
15.000 km/2 years) shorten the life norm by approx. 50%, also to approx. 7.000 km to 7.500 km

Hi,

today I had a chance to drive with constant speed for prolonged period of time and watch oil temp on multicolor display.

This seems to me a little bit to much, as outside temp is low, and this is not peak power of this engine. I will try to drive it at max speed for 5-10 min (235 km/h).

Normal oil temp in city driving is around 100 C.

My next question is regarding chip tunning/remap. It seems to me that for serious high speed driving this car needs some change done to cooling system ? Any suggestions ?

My oil temp is usually 107 C on motorway (150 km/h) and 97 in city (50-55 km/h).

No matter if it's 35 C or -10 C outside.

The highest temp I have ever seen was 117 C when I floored it on motorway for a few minutes (230 km/h :D)

Mine is a 2.0 CR 150PSI

Edited by aki78

Do you know if there is an Oil Temperature sensor fitted to the octavia engines?
I was watching my oil temperature on the way home last night & during motorway driving it fluctuates greatly from 90ish-110°C.

It seems like the displayed temperature is calculated rather than a real value?

Yes, if you're driving at that speed for any length of time I'd change the oil more often.

My race car regularly sees 140C but I change the oil every 1-2k miles.

Edited by waaar

Do you know if there is an Oil Temperature sensor fitted to the octavia engines?

[...]

This would be interesting to know. I would guess that there is an oil temp sensor. It's the most indicative of engine malfunction, and considering that there must be a million sensors in modern cars (ESP, ABS, Xenon, dampers, doors, etc.) not building one for the oil would be a bit weird. But I know that when we get the "engine/coolant temperature too high" message it relates to water temperature (since it's like that on oldtimers and I know that there are no oil temp sensors since the setup is much more basic.)

I would guess that oil temp fluctuates more than water temp because it is in direct contact with the engine parts that can heat up quickly on acceleration, whereas the water circuit is much more constantly cooled via the radiator. (erm.. this makes probably more sense in my head)

Edited by TomLux

I was watching my oil temperature on the way home last night & during motorway driving it fluctuates greatly from 90ish-110°C.

There is sensor, this is quote from EA288 engine description/learning material I have found on Internet:

"

In the sump of the EA288 engine there is an electronic oil level and oil temperature sensor. The oil level in the sump is determined according to an ultrasound principle. Depending on the material or density of an obstacle, ultrasound waves are distributed differently or are reflected. Air and oil have different densities. In oil, the ultrasound waves spread with little distortion. In air, on the other hand, ultrasound waves are subject to considerably greater distortion. When using ultrasound waves to determine oil level, the ultrasound waves are reflected at the oil and air boundary. This reflection is used to determine the oil level. The current oil temperature is recorded by a PTC temperature sensor integrated into the component.

The electronic measuring system for the oil level and the oil temperature, and the electronics needed to evaluate this data, are integrated into the sensor base. The electronic measuring system for the oil level sends ultrasound waves into the oil sump.The ultrasound waves are reflected at the boundary layer between oil and water and are picked up again by the electronic measuring system. The analysis electronics calculate the oil level from the time difference between the sent and reflected signal. In addition to the oil level, the oil temperature is calculated with a PTC temperature sensor. A pulse width modulated (PWM) signal is used to send oil level and oil temperature values to the ECM. "

• Like 1