Speeding fines on motorways and camera vans

ang9444

That is exactly what I am on about, adjust your speed to road conditions. When I do over 140mph in Germany on dual carriageway and I approach a slower car doing say 90mph I slow right down in case he decides to make a move - I need enough time to react. Sometimes I flash full beams to make sure the car in front knows a rocket ship is approaching lol

Triple carriageways are different, even more dangerous as you have one more lane to watch for domino effects - great fun and keeps you awake driving through the night :)

Exactly.

Over here though. People arent bothered. You catch up with somebody n theyre just sat there "well im doing 60mph n thats fast enough for me, so stuff em, they can wait" mentality.

I followed a 4x4 onto an empty dual carriageway the other night in the car. It went straight into the outside lane and didnt move over for the entirety. I indicated out to try n make em notice, i flashed.. Nothing. Just sat there doing 50mph. I was mad.

But i never undertake because Sod's law says theyll decide to move over as soon as i do (and the 70hp fabia hadnt enough poke to move out the way fast enough)

I actually spoke to my mate today who drives a truck and he agreed with what you said Oli and he also said that the trucks are going at 'maximum speed' full throttle etc, and they don't want to take it off full throttle cruise control because he said if they do it can take them ages to get back up to it if they're going up a hill or what not, so he said they just pull in and that 2mph difference chugs them slowly passed, he said when you are restricted to 58 and people beep and swear at you for being in the middle lane while over taking at 70+ you soon lose patience but he also said he'd had to sleep at Stoke which is about 10 miles from his house because of the taco running out and no way to get to his truck and back so again like Oli said.. That 2mph over 10 hours in one day is 20 miles.. It seems annoying.. But it's all with good reason.. He also said they abide by different road speed limits, lower ones obviously and if they get caught speeding it's 6 points immediately not 3.. So I'd say we have it pretty good.. Even tho I still get majorly annoyed at them but now I have a little more time to think about why.. :)

• Like 2

If i had a pound for everytime i wished i was an unmarked police officer in a octavia vrs...i would be pulling people over left right and centre.

I live next to a police station, and they have a suped-up BMW that looks the dogs dashers, and I was pulled over once and the lady that did pull me over said they took great pleasure in being an under cover in such a good looking car.. Hmf bloody police lulling over a law abiding citizen such as myself.. They're never around when real idiots are on the road.. Oh.. As she didn't give me points she wanted to know where I'd been late at night.. Obviously on a rampage...

• Like 1

I live next to a police station, and they have a suped-up BMW that looks the dogs dashers, and I was pulled over once and the lady that did pull me over said they took great pleasure in being an under cover in such a good looking car.. Hmf bloody police lulling over a law abiding citizen such as myself.. They're never around when real idiots are on the road.. Oh.. As she didn't give me points she wanted to know where I'd been late at night.. Obviously on a rampage...

I recognise the usual under cover coppers around where i live as well, either a grey octavia vrs or sometimes a black bmw estate. It was funny the other day this guy was in front of an unmarked vrs (the grey one lol) and started beeping at the guy infront of him not realising there's cops behind him, as i walked down the road i saw he got pulled over by the same cops but don't know if they sanctioned him or not

I recognise the usual under cover coppers around where i live as well, either a grey octavia vrs or sometimes a black bmw estate. It was funny the other day this guy was in front of an unmarked vrs (the grey one lol) and started beeping at the guy infront of him not realising there's cops behind him, as i walked down the road i saw he got pulled over by the same cops but don't know if they sanctioned him or not

haha yeah i recognise my local ones now, they always ask me ridiculous questions, in my old monte i nearly got an injunction against the police as they pulled me over every time i left the house nearly, and wherever i went id be pulled over i was pulled over 3 times in one night once, i got a mate in the force to find out why and he said my car had something called a 'marker' on it, there is several he said but he couldnt see which was on mine its just to tell them to pull the car over or give a warning, pain in the arse for me though. it did finally stopped after i spoke to one of them about the constant harrassment, Ang id also be interested to know about what happens with your points if you do get any, i was reading the other day that they did say they were thinking of putting the speed limit up and even the police considered the 'unofficial speed limit' to be 80MPH, whatever that means im not sure but i do know they made the NSL when cars had a maximum speed of around 74mph and the braking distance of an intoxicated donkey on ice so, (i was reading up on it after reading this) but it would be ricidulous to get points in my eyes, i got caught once on the motorway but it was an average speed, bugger them!

Bloody hell that's annoying! Can they just keep pulling you over like that whenever they feel like it? I would have to complain or something cos 3 times in one night is ridiculous.

Yeah i'll let you know if anything comes through the post, praying it doesn't...happened last Thursday. What does the envelope look like anyway?

Edited by ang9444

i believe from the last time i got one its a normal white envelope with the DVLA on the front in the corner, i must say ive tried to forget the few ive had land on the doorstep, got one on my birthday once! not a nice happy birthday card that! 

as for pulling you over whenever they like, they can more or less do it whenever they feel the need, especially when youve got 'markers' on your car, i started writing it down in the end and then one started following me so i drove round and round until he pulled me and he said what are you doing and i said more likely what are you doing? he said i was acting suspiciously and my continuous driving only made it worse, he couldnt do anything but i asked for the name of the superiors and i didnt get pulled by him again, but it wasnt always the same policemen, i often got pulled coming back from work (i worked in several of the cities) and id be questioned upon what i was doing even though i was wearing a suit, ridiculous really, i was once pulled up in warrington at a shell garage with my friend who had then left the force, and he just said im sick of this so he jumped out as well to try an reason with why id been pulled and had been pulled so many times in this same area but before we knew it we had 7 police cars on the forecourt of this tiny petrol station threatening us with all sorts, in the end the officer in charge came and said to us that 'we looked suspicious' and the way we got out the car 'gave them reason to believe they needed sufficient back up in case we were armed' i did tell him it was the biggest load of bulldust id ever heard and he said its the way they worked, mmm.. what a good use of tax payers money....

Edited by kipperbailey

oh and if your wondering Ang, i did consider legal action against the police but i left for greener pastures and sold my car, so far in my newen ive only been pulled a few times, although whenever i drive my sisters it gets pulled more or less straight away.. so i choose to jut drive mine or not drive at all..

Hmm that's weird, they've obviously got nothing better to do..they don't sound too good in your area lol.

Oh okay will keep a look out for anything. I've never been pulled over but saying that i'll jinx myself and i'll get pull over next week! Watch. Haha

• Like 1

hahaha yeah dont be saying that! haha. yeah im not too sure really, as soon as you get a marker on your car they can go to town with it really, living next to a police station is most definitely not advisable lol... probably getting me back for all the house parties haha! keep an eye out and keep us up to date :)! im sure you will be fine though!

I never did find out if I'm honest, I had several ideas of why they may have but never got a confirmed reason, my mate in the force said that when the ANPR used to pick a 'marked car' up it made a signal to the police and told them what it was. I used to work in some pretty rough areas though so my car would have been frequently seen in some pretty troublesome places, but I always wondered why it was on.. It sounds crazy I know, but nothing crazier than the truth hey

Can't imagine you getting clocked for doing around 85. Couple of coppers once told me that it's usually over 90 they target but obviously depends on the officer I guess.

A friend of mine (silly boy) was once caught doing 140mph but the official recording only caught him 105mph. He got month ban and £200 odd quid fine but NO points. Crazy really.

Can't imagine you getting clocked for doing around 85. Couple of coppers once told me that it's usually over 90 they target but obviously depends on the officer I guess.

A friend of mine (silly boy) was once caught doing 140mph but the official recording only caught him 105mph. He got month ban and £200 odd quid fine but NO points. Crazy really.

Not crazy

You get points OR a disqualification, not both

I always thought you got both so it comes up on your insurance as well. You learn something new everyday [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I believe bans come up on insurance aswell as it'll be classed as a conviction?

I always thought you got both so it comes up on your insurance as well. You learn something new everyday [emoji106]

Your driving licence gets endorsed either way, and it is still a conviction, so you are still under a duty to declare it to your insurers for whatever period the insurer dictates

But let's say you were caught doing 110 in a 70 and received a 56 day discretionary disqualification, you wouldn't get slapped with 6 points as well

Edited by Brimma
  • Like 3

In some cases, it's actually beneficial to get a ban rather than points (although a ban is seen as a more severe punishment). One example would be if a driver was still within the 2 year probationary period after passing their test, a 56 day disqualification will prevent them from having to re-do the test, which I'm sure, from seeing most of britains new drivers, they probably wouldn't pass again for a while anyways.