Speeding fines on motorways and camera vans

ang9444

No speeding=problem solved. True but i'm sure a lot of people who say that, speed on quite a few occasions wherher intentional or unintentional, so stop acting like angels

You'd be surprised, I've been done speeding twice and the next one will lose me my licence, I don't speed. I don't give a **** if there is a que behind me, I'm not speeding again so therefore I can keep my livelihood.
  • Like 1

You'd be surprised, I've been done speeding twice and the next one will lose me my licence, I don't speed. I don't give a **** if there is a que behind me, I'm not speeding again so therefore I can keep my livelihood.

Looking back at it i don't even know why i've been speeding in the past, stupid from me i admit but at least it's opened my eyes and i'm more careful now and leave 5-10min early than normally
  • Like 3

I'm not an angel, I've done my speed awareness course

It was dark, I pulled out onto a clear single carriageway NSL road, went past a van in a layby at 68, no accident black spot, still no other vehicles in sight

Did I whinge?......No

Did I cry 'illegal taxation'......No

Did I pay my money and do the course?.....Yes

Did I think to myself "You bloody idiot"?.....Yes

Why?

Because I know the law of the land, no-one put a gun to my head to break the speed limit, I only had myself to blame

• Like 3

I'm not an angel, I've done my speed awareness course

It was dark, I pulled out onto a clear single carriageway NSL road, went past a van in a layby at 68, no accident black spot, still no other vehicles in sight

Did I whinge?......No

Did I cry 'illegal taxation'......No

Did I pay my money and do the course?.....Yes

Did I think to myself "You bloody idiot"?.....Yes

Why?

Because I know the law of the land, no-one put a gun to my head to break the speed limit, I only had myself to blame

Well done on that, you're a tough one. Noone is whinging or crying, we're showing our frustration and also admitted we're idiots and shouldn't have done it at the end of the day

In 23 years of motoring I only managed to get one speeding ticket, which at best was arguable (wont bore you with a lengthy descriptions) so I am not one of those "hanging by a thread"... I do go over the speed limits momentarily from time to time as it is too easy to do in my vRS :)

My original point was that motorway speeding fines are pointless as in my opinion based on experiences from Germany speed de-restricted motorways are a roaring success. Misled but extremely vocal lobbies of hemp munching "do-gooders" will not allow it here in UK and government has no business in depriving themselves of this substantial source of income.

The reason to call it an illegal, or perhaps better phrased immoral taxation is rather prosaic.

Well thought through law, and more importantly well implemented one is not punitive per se by default. Punishment has to be adequate and proportionate to the transgression committed. If it is not it serves no purpose as far as the society is concerned and is simply a self perpetuating feedback.

Being "done" for traveling 33mph in 30mph zone by an automated speed trap or doing 75mph in 70mph zone not only unnecessarily criminalizes large percentage of society, does not improve the road safety in any imaginable way but makes a travesty of the law of the land.

The only thing it does is provides income, which government is not entitled to.

It is in the same immoral taxation pot as stamp duty tax or inheritance tax - a cynical double taxation where chebols like Amazon etc do not pay taxes at all...

In 23 years of motoring I only managed to get one speeding ticket, which at best was arguable (wont bore you with a lengthy descriptions) so I am not one of those "hanging by a thread"... I do go over the speed limits momentarily from time to time as it is too easy to do in my vRS :)

My original point was that motorway speeding fines are pointless as in my opinion based on experiences from Germany speed de-restricted motorways are a roaring success. Misled but extremely vocal lobbies of hemp munching "do-gooders" will not allow it here in UK and government has no business in depriving themselves of this substantial source of income.

The reason to call it an illegal, or perhaps better phrased immoral taxation is rather prosaic.

Well thought through law, and more importantly well implemented one is not punitive per se by default. Punishment has to be adequate and proportionate to the transgression committed. If it is not it serves no purpose as far as the society is concerned and is simply a self perpetuating feedback.

Being "done" for traveling 33mph in 30mph zone by an automated speed trap or doing 75mph in 70mph zone not only unnecessarily criminalizes large percentage of society, does not improve the road safety in any imaginable way but makes a travesty of the law of the land.

The only thing it does is provides income, which government is not entitled to.

It is in the same immoral taxation pot as stamp duty tax or inheritance tax - a cynical double taxation where chebols like Amazon etc do not pay taxes at all...

And I suppose stealing low value items from national retailers shouldn't be criminalised as the large national retailer can afford to take the loss

And minor assaults shouldn't be criminalised as little or no injury is caused

Different countries have different laws

Ignorance of the law is no defence

If you choose to drive a car in the UK, whether you like it or not, you agree to abide by the law, or choose to accept the consequences

As I said earlier, it's as black and white as that

• Like 2

<snip>

Being "done" for traveling 33mph in 30mph zone by an automated speed trap <snip>

You now appear to be going further than your earlier suggestion that Motorway speed limits should be abolished altogether by suggesting that 30 MPH limits shouldn't be enforced!?

Incidentally you do know that some big city local councils are now reducing speed limits from 30 MPH to 20 MPH, don't you?

The recent 80 MPH speed limit proposal for Motorways was actually a cynical attempt at grabbing votes by the Government, they hadn't anticipated the level of very vocal opposition that ensued.

AA research from many years ago showed that selectively lowered speed limits could actually reduce congestion and shorten journey times. I can't recall any study showing the opposite and I believe that large sections of Britain's busiest Motorway (M25) are now subject to variable (reduced) speed limits.

• Like 1

Where i live the speed limit has been reduced from 30 to 20 and i think that is excessive and stupid. As if 30mph is that quick that it needs reducing further, very low chance of an accident at 30mph unless the driver is an imbacile or intoxicated or something. But 20mph? Come on...might as well get out and push the car

Where i live the speed limit has been reduced from 30 to 20 and i think that is excessive and stupid. As if 30mph is that quick that it needs reducing further, very low chance of an accident at 30mph unless the driver is an imbacile or intoxicated or something. But 20mph? Come on...might as well get out and push the car

I normally do as I drive a Clio....
  • Like 1

The A9 Perth to Inverness / Inverness to Perth now has a Trial Speed Scheme in operation after a change in Legislation where the Speed Limit for HGVs on Single Carriageway Sections is now at 50mph.

Around the UK there should be many routes that Local Authorities are looking at and making new Traffic Orders on Variations 

to NSL's for various vehicle types.

Motorways are very different around the UK, style and location and Slip Roads and Traffic usage at times of day and night.

It is time that the 70 mph limit is reviewed & Variable Speed Limits are maybe Piloted at Slack Times, 

ie raised to 80 mph for some locations. Sometimes.

Better Signage of Dual Carriageway NSL's would be good, 

because many drivers seem to have no idea what NSL signs mean for different road types and vehicle Classes.

The A9 Perth to Inverness / Inverness to Perth now has a Trial Speed Scheme in operation after a change in Legislation where the Speed Limit for HGVs on Single Carriageway Sections is now at 50mph.

Around the UK there should be many routes that Local Authorities are looking at and making new Traffic Orders on Variations

Motorways are very different around the UK, style and location and Slip Roads and Traffic usage at times of day and night.

It is time that the 70 mph limit is reviewed & Variable Speed Limits are maybe Piloted at Slack Times,

because many drivers seem to have no idea what NSL signs mean for different road types and vehicle Classes.

I do agree that some locations could probably do with a raise to say 80mph, a lot of accidents happen because people aren't careful and don't pay full attention to the road and not because of how fast they are going, one wrong move and there will be an accident whether you're going at 70mph or 90mph Edited by ang9444
  • Like 1

Exactly, see many van drivers going at the normal car limits,

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that statement and not to cause an argument or upset people but because I genuinely believe that there is a huge difference between 20 and 30mph. I can't comment on the location and rationale behind the particular area you are referring to but in my experience the 20mph limits are put in place in heavily built up or school areas were the general public, particularly children need protecting.

Have you ever crashed at 30? It's bloody sore. Regardless of reaction times you are going to stop quicker and in a shorter space from 20 than 30. Not to mention potential injuries being lessened.

You say there is very low chance of an accident at 30 but research has been done and it has shown more accidents occur around 30mph than say 70 they are just less serious on the whole, so less publicly advertised.

Ang944 I understand what you were saying about your confusion about the NSL coming after your drive not whilst you were on the motorway. (look at the trouble is has caused )

I have taken a SAC and it does highlight a lot of driver shortcomings and also corrects things we think are right because 'that's the way we always do it'.

It is too easy to speed unfortunately and anyone that says they have never been speeding is obviously not paying attention.

With respect.

The autobahns in Germany work well from what I've heard..

The standard of driving is a lot higher though. People are in the right lane and do move over for faster traffic.

The standard in england is horrific. Quite a Few seem to rarely check their mirrors, and quite a few are in the wrong lane, consistently.

I think we need a speed limit. Without 70mph is too slow. Should be 80-90mph IMO. If not 100.

• Like 2

Speed in itself is not a casue of any accident. Inabilty to drive the car at a speed suitable to driver's skills and to road conditions which causes accidents.

And differentials in speed.

If everybody's going the same speed its safe. If you're approaching at 130mph and theres somebody in the outside lane doing 50-60mph. You soon release just how dangerous differentials are haha

• Like 1

With respect.

The autobahns in Germany work well from what I've heard..

The standard of driving is a lot higher though. People are in the right lane and do move over for faster traffic.

The standard in england is horrific. Quite a Few seem to rarely check their mirrors, and quite a few are in the wrong lane, consistently.

I think we need a speed limit. Without 70mph is too slow. Should be 80-90mph IMO. If not 100.

Well said, so many planks on motorways nowadays that have cobwebs on their mirrors because they haven't used them for that long...also too many lorries doing 50 in the middle lane trying to overtake other lorries doing 49 so it takes about 10min to overtake

Well said, so many planks on motorways nowadays that have cobwebs on their mirrors because they haven't used them for that long...also too many lorries doing 50 in the middle lane trying to overtake other lorries doing 49 so it takes about 10min to overtake

Urgh. Winds me up when i see people with their mirrors still folded in. They obv check them often! Aha.

I was speaking to a lorry driver about that. It is pretty annoying isnt it. But he explained to me that over many hundred miles, that 1-2mph can work out the difference between making it to the destination, or having to park up for the night as their hours have run out. Which makes sense, so im a little more considerate now.

• Like 1

And differentials in speed.

If everybody's going the same speed its safe. If you're approaching at 130mph and theres somebody in the outside lane doing 50-60mph. You soon release just how dangerous differentials are haha

That is exactly what I am on about, adjust your speed to road conditions. When I do over 140mph in Germany on dual carriageway and I approach a slower car doing say 90mph I slow right down in case he decides to make a move - I need enough time to react. Sometimes I flash full beams to make sure the car in front knows a rocket ship is approaching lol

Triple carriageways are different, even more dangerous as you have one more lane to watch for domino effects - great fun and keeps you awake driving through the night :)