Speeding fines on motorways and camera vans

ang9444

Sounds like a place real similar to me Huskoda.. people always thrashing it down there.. There was actually an article in the mail today about speed cameras and said that some fixed cameras are actually illegal because of the law set in 2001 that said all fixed cameras must be bright yellow.. that would be an interesting one to argue in court with the new grey ones near me.....

Sounds like a place real similar to me Huskoda.. people always thrashing it down there.. There was actually an article in the mail today about speed cameras and said that some fixed cameras are actually illegal because of the law set in 2001 that said all fixed cameras must be bright yellow.. that would be an interesting one to argue in court with the new grey ones near me.....

Not very far, as all our local ones are grey too

Would be interesting to see if it ever was a 'law'

kipperbailey, on 29 Jan 2015 - 12:58, said:snapback.png

Not very far, as all our local ones are grey too

Would be interesting to see if it ever was a 'law'

Speed cameras do not have to be yellow. It was never a legal requirement anyway; it was a scheme whereby participating local authorities could keep a portion of the fines raised, one of the conditions was that cameras should be visible (painted yellow?) & sited at known accident spots .

Speed, or "safety" cameras, as the Government calls them, no longer have to be painted yellow, or be visible from 60m (200ft), and no longer have to be sited only where there is a history of road accidents. The regulations were relaxed in April 2007 after the Government had announced in December 2006 that camera partnerships would no longer be able to keep the money generated by speeding fines to pay for more cameras.

in Colchester the speed cameras get 'necklaced' regularly or one has been felled like a tree a few times. Ha Ha. I just moved to Suffolk..... very few cameras in Suffolk, though as mentioned, I was caught by the mobile one last year.

in Colchester the speed cameras get 'necklaced' regularly or one has been felled like a tree a few times. Ha Ha. I just moved to Suffolk..... very few cameras in Suffolk, though as mentioned, I was caught by the mobile one last year.

Can do with a few "necklaced" down the south :D
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got done doing 37 in a 30 zone (was a short dual carriageway leading to motorway, thousands of people done in a matter of weeks), I was given speed awareness. I was told by the chaps doing the course that insurers have no right to know if you have been on the course and can only find out by you telling them, it's kept as confidential police data for 2 years then deleted (as you can only take the course once every 2 years). Was also told that for Lancashire the camera vans are generally set to the speed limit + 10% + 2mph, i.e 35, 57, 79.

And as said aabove, if It's your car and you was driving, they have to inform you within 14 days otherwise you don't have to accept it.

So, did you get done?

While it's true that the insurance company have no right to know about the course, if they ask then you have to disclose it. Some companies do ask, mine don't though......fortunately!

Out of interest, did you find the course helpful? I did one a couple of years back and found it very interesting and not at all patronising or preachy like I thought it would be. Worked better than a fine and points.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

While it's true that the insurance company have no right to know about the course, if they ask then you have to disclose it. Some companies do ask, mine don't though......fortunately!

Out of interest, did you find the course helpful? I did one a couple of years back and found it very interesting and not at all patronising or preachy like I thought it would be. Worked better than a fine and points.

education is better than punishment. I wish my workplace would understand this.

• Like 3

I think the course has genuinely made me a better driver, I don't claim to be the best out there and still like to have the occasional 'spirited' drive but I seem to be able to read the road better and identify potential dangers sooner. At the time of doing the course I actually thought it should be compulsory every 'x' amount of years.

My other half got done in the same place weeks before I did, she complained about the course loads, yet I really enjoyed it haha I learnt allot and I love learning new things, I was one of a couple that were happy to be there, the guys said if they ask, just don't tell they have no way of finding out. I'm with admiral, they asked once, I said no. Itwas over 3 years ago now anyways.

• Like 2

<snip> Was also told that for Lancashire the camera vans are generally set to the speed limit + 10% + 2mph, i.e 35, 57, 79. <snip>

I believe that these are the ACPO guidelines (LINK) and are intended to allow for inaccuracy in vehicle speedometers (which in my experience typically exaggerate the true speed) and to give a bit of leeway (i.e. 2 MPH).

I gather that the new "grey" cameras that are starting to appear on Motorways, initially in variable speed limit sections are much more accurate, are set to the exact (variable) limit and issue  speeding fines entirely automatically - so BEWARE!

Personally I would far rather see average speed cameras used everywhere on Motorways, they allow for temporary speeding when overtaking and don't encourage sudden braking followed by acceleration when people see a gantry ahead.

While it's true that the insurance company have no right to know about the course, if they ask then you have to disclose it..

We had an insurance quote from Admiral and they asked if we had been on a SAC.... We have not.... but given (as said above) they can never find out, i would lie, whats the point of paying to go on a course to avoid points and then suffering the consequences of the speeding anyway ? You may as well of just taken the points and not gone on the course and saved yourself some cash.....madness.

Edited by Hudson01
  • Like 2

I think the course has genuinely made me a better driver, I don't claim to be the best out there and still like to have the occasional 'spirited' drive but I seem to be able to read the road better and identify potential dangers sooner. At the time of doing the course I actually thought it should be compulsory every 'x' amount of years.

Couldn't agree more with this

I was doing 85 on a23 (70 limit and saw camera van on bridge)I haven't had a letter Yet so fingers crossed) this was 4 weeks ago.

That initial worrying is the worst!
  • Like 1