Too much technology

I am now on my 6th Skoda. Three Fabia 1.9 Tdi estates , two Yeti 140 se 4x4 and now an Octavia Elegance tdi 150 4x4 estate and strangely I find that I am using my 7 year old Suzuki Swift 1.3 DDi  more and more - no flashing lights , no worries about regens ,screens upon screens of info  and options, all these things that seem to be of so much concern to most posters ( including me) are not an issue- turn the key- it starts - and gets you where you want to go cheaply, totally reliably and reasonably comfortably. Are Skoda losing the plot ?.

• Like 1

Have you put winter wheels and tyres on are are happily driving along in a blizzard and suddenly TPM decides to bong and flash simply because you haven't gone into setup to inform the car of the changes- thats dangerous and unnecessary, the Suzuki just gets on with the job.

Have you put winter wheels and tyres on are are happily driving along in a blizzard and suddenly TPM decides to bong and flash simply because you haven't gone into setup to inform the car of the changes- thats dangerous and unnecessary, the Suzuki just gets on with the job.

But surely that's down to driver error, not the car or the technology's fault.

• Like 4

But many people never check their tyre pressures so it could be that your Suzuki that never gives any complaint has dangerously underinflated tyres.... I'm not suggesting that you are that person but it clearly improves safety for some.

• Like 2

So that will be why everything in the South grinds to a halt when 10mm of snow falls - its not parameters or cars ;its getting from A to B and whats going on around you. After all its only 4 wheels and an engine with you in control the rest is by the way.

I am now on my 6th Skoda. Three Fabia 1.9 Tdi estates , two Yeti 140 se 4x4 and now an Octavia Elegance tdi 150 4x4 estate and strangely I find that I am using my 7 year old Suzuki Swift 1.3 DDi  more and more - no flashing lights , no worries about regens ,screens upon screens of info  and options, all these things that seem to be of so much concern to most posters ( including me) are not an issue- turn the key- it starts - and gets you where you want to go cheaply, totally reliably and reasonably comfortably. Are Skoda losing the plot ?.

totally agree...and not limited to Skoda.  Have been doing similar to with Mrs GH's 100k mile Honda Jazz - dead simple, ABS and FI as complex as it gets.  Dependable technology that you can get your head around....and it just works.

Don't get me wrong - I like some of the tech stuff on my Occy but some of it is just there for the sake of it (voice control?  WTF?) but both my last Superb and this Occy have little electronic induced fits every now and again.

.....and don't get me started on the same subject applied to motorcycles....the sheer joy of riding what is simply a  motorised bicycle is being sucked out of them by electronic this and that......multi map switchable riding modes (I thought that was what the throttle was for), electronic suspension control, multi-mode traction control, gyro assisted ABS, anti-wheelie control, electric screen height adjustment, audio and iphone interfaces....the list goes on.......all adding weight and complexity that moves the rider further and further away from the pureness (and fear!) of getting the best out of two wheels and an engine.

Rant over.

• Like 1

And lets be honest- how many of us play around with all this new stuff when we get the car and think 'wow ---'  and then just forget about it and use the car as we always used to.

• Like 3

And lets be honest- how many of us play around with all this new stuff when we get the car and think 'wow ---' and then just forget about it and use the car as we always used to.

I use all my gadgets regularly. And actually find the Skoda lacking compared to my Audi (internet services for Google Earth overlays and sending sat nav destinations from my phone/PC being the main missing bits).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And lets be honest- how many of us play around with all this new stuff when we get the car and think 'wow ---'  and then just forget about it and use the car as we always used to.

That's because 90% of it needs setting up once and then i can be left alone.

• Like 1

.....and don't get me started on the same subject applied to motorcycles....the sheer joy of riding what is simply a  motorised bicycle is being sucked out of them by electronic this and that......multi map switchable riding modes (I thought that was what the throttle was for), electronic suspension control, multi-mode traction control, gyro assisted ABS, anti-wheelie control, electric screen height adjustment, audio and iphone interfaces....the list goes on.......all adding weight and complexity that moves the rider further and further away from the pureness (and fear!) of getting the best out of two wheels and an engine.

Rant over.

I love the electronic screen and suspension on my bike.  Taking pillions/luggage no longer requires cracking out spanners and getting dirty or leaving the suspension incorrectly setup and either blinding oncomers as the headlights illuminate the moon or risking grounding as the suspension is too low (which has happened on other "manual" bikes).  The screen was fantastic touring last year - nice n low when the sun was out and the temperature was 35 degrees and then put up in a flash when the rain came down to stop it coming through my mesh jacket and therefore avoiding having to stop and put on waterproofs only for the rain to disappear as soon as I'd done so.

The tyre pressure monitoring on the bike gave me a few seconds warning when I got a massive hole in the rear tyre at 60mph - just enough to pull over before the tyre completely let go before a major bend.  Without TPMS I'm pretty certain that I'd probably have found out about the tyre when I tried to tip into the next bend and probably wouldn't have had the same, safe, outcome that I had with TPMS although we'll never know.

It's horses for courses - just because the vehicle has the features in question doesn't mean you're obliged to use them.  If you never adjust the screen/suspension etc. then nothing stops you leaving it in a single position or not specifying it when buying (assuming it's an option rather than base spec).

• Like 2

I cut my driving teeth on VW Beetles (the air-cooled ones) where the height of technology was using the spare wheel to power the windscreen washer.  I've owned Octavias of all three marks and I admit to having mixed feelings about the onward march of electronics.  On the one hand I love being able to set up an individual driving mode and generally customise the vehicle to suit myself and many of the warning functions are worthwhile.  In my previous Mk2 vRS I had cause to be extremely grateful to the TPM system which stopped me suffering a potentially lethal tyre failure at high speed.  On the other hand I can't help worrying about the possibility of it all going horribly wrong which would inevitably happen at the most inconvenient time.  There was precious little to break in an air-cooled Beetle and most things which did fail could be fixed with some determined spannering.  It's all so different nowadays and I sometimes worry that traditional mechanical skills are in danger of being lost.  

I also agree with Gordon H that the situation with motorcycles is getting out of hand.  After trying a ridiculously electronic BMW ("ride by wire" - WTF??) I've downsized to a smaller Kawasaki whose only concessions to modernity are fuel injection and a digital speedometer.

Edited by dave6376
  • Like 1

Seems like they are now designed for the Smart Phone - Satnav - iPod - iPad - Nintendo generation.

To be fair, it depends what any one person actually needs. E.g. I don't much like the touch screen radio. I don't use mobiles or any such items in car,

I turn off the stop-start every time I start a journey. (Wish the bl**dy thing would stay off.)

Warnings are okay, such as if a bulb has died, or dodgy tyre pressure - that all helps safety.

But I hope I can drive well enough to park safely or know what lane I'm in, or how close to the car in front I am.

They will soon be giving you a sleeping pill and a wake-up call when you arrive. For that I'll use the Airbus or Boeing, thanks!

But I agree it is okay if you can set up at first ownership and then never have to access the menus again (e.g. I leave the engine in sport mode - I just prefer it).

But ask most owners if they would sooner have all the electronic toys or a real spare wheel.......???!!!

I guess I fall into the new generation with this one.

I wouldn't buy a car without cruise control as a minimum (or ACC as I have now).

Automatic climate control which doesn't just blow freezing air in your face when you turn on the ignition.

Heated windscreen so you dont have to get out and scrape the ice off.

These are just "comfort" systems which make your daily driving much more relaxing & convenient.

Then you have the safety systems which have undoubtedly saved many lifes or money for repair costs when avoiding potentially dangerous situations.

ABS, emergency braking, pedestrian safety, "cold outside temperature" warnings. 

Every manufacturer is including new technology in their cars (I agree with JoseDB that Skoda is held back compared to the competition).

For many buyers, this is a differentiating factor when choosing which manufacturer they will buy (even cheap cars are good to drive these days).

Also many of the electronic items are mandated by law & the manfacturers have no choice but to include these.

Emissions regulations force technologies like electronic injection, turbocharging, EGR, DPF, SCR.

ABS, traction control, AirBags, etc etc.

Even emergency braking (will be introduced soon) in Europe.

• Like 3

Maybe those who consider technology an onerous proposition should have maybe purchased a dacia? Are these not the 'new' skodas or late (cheap basic transport).

We all must know skoda has conformed and has to tow the VAG line and offer all this 'tech' to consumers as the majority of brands all do anyway.

I guess one could not use all the gadgets thus not worry about them so much and just drive. I doubt we all would like to drive a TVR (no safety aids) so some tech is without doubt very very useful.

Edited by octavianestate
  • Like 1

I can sympathise with Drum's viewpoint and my favourite car ever was the Austin Mini, fun, simple to drive and simple to work on.

My Octavia Mk2 Ambition re-introduced me to the joy of driving a car (after a series of sensible long warranty Korean drudgery) and that continues with the Mk3 but as with many new vehicles it is not a simple car I can work on. Even the professionals can get stumped by some of their antics (Well there is no error coming up on the computer - heard that one before?)

I have read and watched "I Robot" and flown in a misbehaving Airbus (and wasn't that interesting) so I don't entirely trust all the technology available in modern cars and prefer the more basic versions.

My Ambition Octavia Mk3 has all the gizmos I want or need (simple cruise control thanks)

I am not a complete tech philistine as I use a GPS watch with heart rate monitor and upload after each run. At my age I need the motivation to run and the reassurance that it has not yet killed me :)

I guess everyone has their own comfort levels for technology.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

I used to be much better at navigating before I started using a Sat Nav . . . . .

Although fun, an F Reg BMW I had for a while was hard work to drive (no PAS), and would quite happily spin if it clipped some oil. The current Jazz and Rio are fun and let you spin their wheels if you're not careful, but I can feel them helping when necessary, ABS and PAS etc.

Test driving the Skoda Octavia, the ESC kicked in far more than i was expecting it too though, i understand why there is an option to turn it off . . . . however, is the car as balanced as it would be, if it were not designed with the presence of ESC in mind?

Any thoughts of XDS? Anyone felt it working?

Seems we have different definitions of (unnecessary) electronic toys. I certainly don't count things like heated screens, ABS, electronic control of emissions etc., as unnecessary gizmos. Those are excellent advances in modern technology.

But I don't need things that lock my doors for me, turn on lights when they aren't needed and so on. these are functions we ought to be awake enough to do ourselves.

A lot of the maze of electronics seems to be to do with entertainment and communication, rather than driving.

My SE model came without cruise, and I don't really miss it here as I rarely had a chance to use it in my 1.8.  I'd certainly miss it in the USA though !!

p.s. I have never used satnav and, so far, have never missed it. I do pre-research my drives on Google Maps though !!

Edited by ednmra
  • Like 1

If you mean doors lock on pull away, surely you can see this is an essential safety feature in many less hospitable places than Brighton...?

But I don't need things that lock my doors for me

• Like 1

p.s. I have never used satnav and, so far, have never missed it. I do pre-research my drives on Google Maps though !!

I used to do this, bit lazy now.

As for the locking doors, it puts me in mind of a scene in scrubs where the blonde doctor locks her car door just as a Black guy walks past, then decides she has to wind down her window to explain she wasn't locking it because he was walking past, the car just has automatic locking . . . . . 

If you mean doors lock on pull away, surely you can see this is an essential safety feature in many less hospitable places than Brighton...?

I'm not saying we should not have doors that can be locked, I'm just saying I want to decide for myself.

Having driven a lot around Miami I know what dangerous areas look like !! (Though it isn't quite as bad as it was years ago.)

So far as Brighton is concerned, you need a Centurion tank really.

(And a cowcatcher to deal with mad cyclists who ignore red lights, pedestrian crossings, one way streets, no lamps at night..................)

I'm not saying we should not have doors that can be locked, I'm just saying I want to decide for myself.

You can - at least in my O3 there's an option to turn it off.  Same with the auto lights - you can choose not to use them.

Whilst I can turn the light on/off manually, and do so if the car hasn't put them on automatically, it's one less thing to have to worry about if the car gets it right, which it does 99% of the time.  I also see enough people driving around in these basic cars that don't have their lights on when they're obviously required to think that auto lights are probably a good idea as there are obviously people out there incapable of operating the headlight switch.  If just one accident is avoided then they have to be worth it, and like I said - it's not as if you have to use these convenience features.

A number of these "unnecessary" gadgets were must haves on my purchase requirements.  In fact I almost walked away from the O3 as ACC wasn't an option, but it became an option just in time to convince me to purchase.  I spend a lot of time on motorways, quite often at non-peak (read too bloody early/late) times of day and find things like ACC, heated screen etc. extremely useful. Same goes for GPS - I never know where I'm going to be and don't miss the good old days messing around with maps. I can however, when required, manage without said maps.

I also love auto wipers - again I don't miss the days of constantly adjusting the intermittent wipe because the volume of rain falling was not constant.  Again, I can manage without them but much prefer to have them.  Those who don't like them simply don't have to use them.

One thing I do agree on though is touch screens - they're a PITA in cars.  Gone are the days where you can control stuff by feel instead of looking away from the road.  I also find the O3 screen a bit sensitive and quite often "double tap" due to bumps in the road etc.

• Like 3