How you get to be one of the 1% owning 50% of global wealth

Clunkclick

You say that but then you have to remember that for the one drug / vaccine that gets to market the pharmaceutical companies have thousands of others that don't, each of which involves millions of poounds in research costs.  All of that unsuccessful research cost has to be covered somehow, which is why the cost of drugs is so high and is increasing - it is gettiung increasingly difficult and more and more costly to find, prove, licence and then productionise drugs.

And in case you are wondering - no I'm not employed in that sector but am married to a molecular bologist who has worked in medical research and drug development for both charitable and pharmaceutical organisations.

To be a 1%er? Be born to the right parents.

Not necessarily - they aren't all born with a silver spoon despite what the Mail will tell you - some have worked hard to get it, or have trodden on a few people to get there, others just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Take for example (though it pains me to mention him) Bernie Ecclestone - the sone of a fisherman...   hardly born to it...

You say that but then you have to remember that for the one drug / vaccine that gets to market the pharmaceutical companies have thousands of others that don't, each of which involves millions of poounds in research costs.  All of that unsuccessful research cost has to be covered somehow, which is why the cost of drugs is so high and is increasing - it is gettiung increasingly difficult and more and more costly to find, prove, licence and then productionise drugs.

And in case you are wondering - no I'm not employed in that sector but am married to a molecular bologist who has worked in medical research and drug development for both charitable and pharmaceutical organisations.

Also you've a limited time that the drug can remain in 'copyright' for. So Billions to develop and only 20yr to get your costs back and make a profit. Also modern drugs generally have a smaller and smaller target patient base as they get more specific. There aren't many big wide use drugs invented any more.

Not necessarily - they aren't all born with a silver spoon despite what the Mail will tell you - some have worked hard to get it, or have trodden on a few people to get there, others just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Take for example (though it pains me to mention him) Bernie Ecclestone - the sone of a fisherman...   hardly born to it...

So, if we examined their accounts, we'd expect to see a 68% increase in vaccine research and development activity over the 13 year period matching the price increase ? Yet, the press were recently reporting that  research and devlopment, over-all, had fallen-off recently. Witness the anti-biotic crisis.

The article also reports that they are charging developed countries LESS for the same vacines.

N

Edited by Clunkclick

Don't think Rubella (1963) and Hep B  (1981) are recent developments either.

As to Mr Ecclestone, slipperyer than carnuaba Dave - definitely need a Health warning on him.

If these self-made men are so confident in their abilities to make money and look after their own welfare, why do so many of them feel compelled to take so much of their  apparentlywell deserved accumulated wealth off-shore, to so called "Tax havens" - or pirate stash as I call them.

N

Edited by Clunkclick

1% of the world population is still 70 million people.

And according to this article http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30879173

anyone with assets more than ~£525k is in that 1% 

so basically just about every home owner in the SE of England is in the world's top 1%?

• Like 2

House prices in the UK are like Worldwide vacinne prices, well manipulated in compromised market designed to serve every vested interest other than the users.

Myself, Nowhere near the 1%. And not all of each sale can be liquidated - you've got to have somewhere to live, even if it means down sizing.

I don't think tbis in anyway detracts ftom the original point made.

N

Edited by Clunkclick

Be the " royal " sperm that gets to the " royal" egg first then you're hit the jackpot . Life of luxury just declare a few things open and that's it .

GREED GREED GREED, selfishness, sponging off the backs of hard working people you tread over and ruin on your way to self gratification, and also lying and cheating your way to get whatever you want and stuff the consequences...................in short, pull the ladder up jack and sod the rest.

• Like 2

GREED GREED GREED, selfishness, sponging off the backs of hard working people you tread over and ruin on your way to self gratification, and also lying and cheating your way to get whatever you want and stuff the consequences...................in short, pull the ladder up jack and sod the rest.

Pretty much what he said.

There is an interesting Documentary called "The Century of the Self" which goes a fair way to show you how ruthless individuals and corporations can and will be in order to get what they want. It focuses on s man called Edward Bernays "the Father of P.R" and Sigmund Freaud "the father of psycho-analysis".

Their is much information out there that shows you just how these people attain their money, the problem is most people associate this kind of information to "conspiracy theories", which is a shame but society has been repeatedly programmed to think that way.

Edited by theezenutz

At the end of the day the richest 1% will always be, well the 1% who are richest...

In the same way as saying the bottom 10% of earners are in poverty. No matter what you do the bottom 10% will always exist.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder how many of the 1% are despots/dictators. Just a thought.

World population 7 billion.

1% = 70 Million.

Still a lot of people, and probably not that many despots.

Apparently there are now 1645 Billionaires in the world and about 12 million millionaires.

Does the £525k include your house? Last time I checked you need a million quids worth of assets in addition to your principal house to be classed a millionaire.

I would presume it means total net worth including your house.

The US Dollar is used by nearly everyone to equate wealth and finanicial growth and everything else.  85% of world trade is in USD, whether a country is classed a relatively wealth, poor or very poor is all done in USDs.    

Now a million dollars is "only" £650K GBP. 

If you added somebodies total wealth, ie their pension, property and other assets I could see that several million Uk people could be classed as USD millionaires.

Of course you can take your UK £100Ks or $1M or $2M USD and then go to Goa (you who have 10Ms of Rupees ) or TH (several million Baht) and live very well for the rest of your days probably.   But we like to, or are afraid to, move from our comfort zone and we continue to live in our country with high cost of living prices, fuel, food, accomodation.   

After the cold wet winter we have had many of us think about a week or two in the sun.  If your wealth is entirely in GBP then you are unlikely to become or stay a millionaire IMO.

This 1%, owning half the world's wealth, comes about when Government's fail to tax such individuals.

Greeks are some of the riches people in the world, particularly in shipping etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greeks_by_net_worth

Governments, and the UK and most Western countries, diliberately have tax havens, here we have IoM, Channel Isalnds as well as Switzerland, Lichenstein, even Ireland one could say.

Middle and lower income people have not the avenues to avoid tax and hence often pay a higher percentage of their much smaller wages compared to those that can Avoid/tax-plan etc.

The theme for the last three or four decades has been tax the middle and lower income people as it is easier hence wealth divide got bigger.