RS Alarm security- only immobiliser as standard spec?

Appears the RS standard security spec is only with an immobiliser...... Alarm is additional option!

Interested on owners comments to impact on insurance premium difference and if recommend getting the interior alarm option on car I have ordered?

ta

This depends on the market where you are buying.

Assuming its the UK, as the others have said, in the latest brochure online the interior alarm & inclination sensor come as standard.

In other market (Switzerland for example) the interior pressure sensing alarm & inclination detection are extra.

Also here locking wheel nuts are not standard & you have to pay extra if you want them.

Sorry , Yes I am ordering from Ireland and looking at the spec sheet it says

''Alarm with interior monitoring, back up horn and towing protection'' as additional option!!!

It appears it only comes with immobiliser as standard?

this is disappointing for a new car to come without alarm as standard :| 

I will check with the dealer but any Ireland owners on here confirm this?

But hey, that is one way to get the car price down to advertise on the local market? Does not really matter if 99% cars will buy that extra :-)

For example, here you have to have fire extinguisher - this is not listed on the car price. Just an extra.

Oh and if you are buying new car, you probably need new winter set or summer set as well - depends when you are buying. Either way the other set is not listed in the price.

For me I payed something like 1 500 EUR extra just to get the going car :-D Of course I could have bought the car as listed, but that means I can't really drive it :-D

To be exact it goes something like this:

* Factory alarm 290 EUR

* Mudflaps 63 EUR

* Nuts for alloys 44 EUR

* Emergency pack, textile mats, car registration 159 EUR

* Added one year warranty with winter tyre set on non alloys 990 EUR.

Yes you could take away the one year extended warranty which is 390 EUR tag, or mudflaps, but you get the idea.

Wheels are needed (unless you are only driving in winter or summer), alarm is needed, nuts are needed, emergency pack is mandatory, registration is mandatory, to be really fair find me a buyer who does not get that extra year for 390?

So in the end looking at the price tag of the cheapest Octavia 15 500 EUR, add up everything I wrote as extra - you are looking at 10% of the car is pretty much mandatory you need to buy anyway :-D

That is called marketing.

Edited by conn

Alarm is standard specification across the full range of models in the UK.

That's interesting to hear. I don't think any cars sold here in Finland come with an alarm as standard...and from the cars I see around, it appears not many people even pick the option. (I always have, though.)

That's interesting to hear. I don't think any cars sold here in Finland come with an alarm as standard...and from the cars I see around, it appears not many people even pick the option. (I always have, though.)

I was also amazed (cominhg from the UK) with my Swiss car when I came to change my wheels & realised there were no security bolts. (well as secure as the OEM bolts can be)

As standard in the UK you'd get an Alarm, Security Nuts for the wheels & usually a metal protection bracket for the ECU with shear-bolts to prevent it being removed/swapped easily.

Without these your insurance premium will likely rise by a large percentage.

On the Octy in Luxembourg the immobiliser is standard, the alarm is an extra at 200€ (except for the L&K). You don't get cheaper insurance when you have it and my Skoda dealer told me that they sell 80-90% of the cars without alarm systems. I guess that's the advantage of living in an even smaller country? ;-)

You don't even get it as part of some package. Still it's a nice to have feature, but I always wonder about the effectiveness of an alarm. If it goes off, nobody cares. Petty thieves that break the window to get the radio, airbags etc are much faster that the reaction of any thoughtful neigbourgh. And those who want to steal the car as a whole probably know the system well enough to circumvent it.

They only thing that ever set off the alarms in our cars were flies and exploding coke cans. The flies are not too bothered about it though... :D

Ordered a 2.0 TDi in November, delivery in 2 weeks time.

No alarm, only immobiliser.

Not concerned for here in Ireland, didn't have it on our last Octy, but will make sure we're insured to the hilt for our European trip this summer.

Edited by JosipB

and where exactly do you live? :D

A mate of mine has an mk2 Octy, no alarm and pretty much drives around the world (well europe at least) never had a problem..maybe the world isn't as messed up as we are told?

Oh and how did you manage to get it that fast?

Why do some markets refer to it as 'RS' and not 'VRS'?

Also mudguards are £30 on eBay, sure the seller won't charge much more to courier to Eire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk the free non retired version!

Why do some markets refer to it as 'RS' and not 'VRS'?

I think only the Uk refer to it as VRS:

http://www.skoda.lu/models/new-octavia-combi-rs/overview

http://www.skoda-auto.de/models/octavia-combi/new-overview

http://www.skoda.ch/models/new-octavia-combi-rs/newoverview

http://www.skoda-auto.cz/models/nova-octavia-combi-rs

Maybe we don't like the "V" and think it's just a ticked RS ;-)

13 Gullible Drive...

We've also done a couple of trips across Europe in our Octy 2.

I suspect/hope that in Europe the RHD would be less appealing to someone with sticky fingers than something local.

And that would just leave stripping it for parts.

It's a 150 PS TDi that we've ordered, not a vRS. And it's hatchback rather than estate. So I think the 10-12 week lead time was par for the course.

mmh he has got the LHD (luxembourg) but maybe it's because it's no VRS.

Ah yes, no VRS might accelerate a few things.

I understood it was because Ford have the RS name copyrighted and got the snots with Skoda using it. Doesn't really explain why only Ford UK got upset though, does it?

I understood it was because Ford have the RS name copyrighted and got the snots with Skoda using it. Doesn't really explain why only Ford UK got upset though, does it?

No-one has 'RS' copyrighted - it just stands for RallySport.  Or, in the case of a certain French manufacturer, RenaultSport.  I think Skoda added the 'v' in the UK to differentiate themselves from Ford and Renault, rather than they had to.  And I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that it stands for 'victory', but don't take my word for it.

And I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that it stands for 'victory', but don't take my word for it.

I've always assumed it's short for "version".

It is interesting though, that the vRS emblem is the same in all markets, but the v is only said outlaid or used in marketing material in the UK.

No-one has 'RS' copyrighted - it just stands for RallySport.  Or, in the case of a certain French manufacturer, RenaultSport.  I think Skoda added the 'v' in the UK to differentiate themselves from Ford and Renault, rather than they had to.  And I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that it stands for 'victory', but don't take my word for it.

"And vRS, the top-line Skoda badging that has been on three Octavias and two Fabias so far and counting, is UK-only; the 'v' foisted on the Czech firm at Ford's behest, and you can understand why over here, as in every other country the rapid Skodas are just called RS."

This comes from an article in Car Enthusiast, but I've seen the same reason given previously in other, well-known, UK motoring journals.

"And vRS, the top-line Skoda badging that has been on three Octavias and two Fabias so far and counting, is UK-only; the 'v' foisted on the Czech firm at Ford's behest, and you can understand why over here, as in every other country the rapid Skodas are just called RS."

This comes from an article in Car Enthusiast, but I've seen the same reason given previously in other, well-known, UK motoring journals.

I've now found the trade mark reference, see  http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00001292115

I've now found the trade mark reference, see  http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00001292115

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

Someone really needs to tell Renault then... they use 'RS' on RenaultSport seats - http://www.inautonews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/renault-megane-r.s.-265-8.jpg

And Audi use RS3, RS4, RS6 etc.  I'm actually quite surprised that TradeMark was granted.

Edited by WiggosSideburns