mirrorlink

stug45

Just to let you guys know, with my Bolero and Iphone (bluetooth) I can make hands free calls, import my contacts, and receive text displayed on screen (but not send text) listen to the music with usb.

Mirrorlink says device not found though!

The sat sat nav is really what its all about, for me anyway. No sat nav option so mirror link comes to the rescue...except it doesn't. I want google maps to mirror onto the bolero like it should, and Skoda are going to have to fix it for us.  :swear:

• Like 1

Yes Happycatphil, yes Mick.. That's what i'm saying as well. It should work with iphones. All i care is sat nav as well , when i read the brochure and was documenting online one of the things i love was that it said it works with iphones that had ios 7xx or over and would work only with approved skoda apps. Amongst which there was sygic as well which is the one i use and have extras bought on it as well like traffic etc. now to find out that it doesn't work with iphones at all, very misleading jnformation and contradictory as well. Dealer said jt would work when we signed and ordered it, bow they say the don't know anything for sure. Skoda stopped replying on facebook, customer service uk on the phone doesn't know anything other than the ones after week 22 work wirh all phones. All is great for skoda, ir just sucks for us. Yes i can connect to Bluetooth and use it to make call, play my music, has a brilliant mic integrated but hey that's exactly what i could do on my previous 2003 corsa after I bought an £65 media player with mic incorporated. Had a special call button, call list etc plus access to siri. So i'm guessing the knoy fancy thing we've got with smartlink is the big screen because apart from that, Media wise it's stupid, more stupid then a £65 media player from halfords. Anyone, i vented enough. It seems the media is in their pockets. Nobody is writing anything about this. Nobody cares. Lets just hope some poor ass engineer/code writer has a heart and manages to give us the same functionality through a software update. I son't want their Amundsen sat nav, which is shiet by the way :)

Call me whatever..i'm ****ed

People keep confusing the Bluetooth/USB smartphone integration with mirrorlink. The two are completely separate. Almost any smartphone should should allow you to make calls, stream music etc obviously including Apple products. Mirrorlink allows mirroring of your phone screen on the bolero screen. Two separate systems...

Hello SkodaDTI,

thank you for your informative reply. Er, 64GB SD card, I'm assuming it'll hold a zillion songs? I also take your point about highest quality!

As you can tell I'm not too technical. Does the music have to be transferred to the SD card, in one go, or can it be done in stages?

Thank you, and fellow members for your kind help, for a geezer like me. By the way, I ain't got a bus pass - but a rail card would be nice! :)

Frank.

Hi Frank. I do have a bus pass so I passed this one passed my son and I downloaded a program called Media Monkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com/download/) and I was able to convert all my cd's to mp3 format and put them onto an sd card. It is easy to do and the sd card just stays in the slot in the glove box and all my music is there all the time. We are not in the car more than a couple of hours at a time so there is plenty to listen to. The car was well worth waiting for and my dsg gearbox is a dream. Good luck. 

George

Hey, check this article out: http://www.androidcentral.com/some-hyundai-car-buyers-now-have-option-have-android-auto-installed

It seems that existing Hyundai owners will get Android Auto and Carplay with just a software update. 

Right now new Boleros will support Android and Carplay also, so maybe early adopters can still get the function with an update?

Hey, check this article out: http://www.androidcentral.com/some-hyundai-car-buyers-now-have-option-have-android-auto-installed

It seems that existing Hyundai owners will get Android Auto and Carplay with just a software update. 

Right now new Boleros will support Android and Carplay also, so maybe early adopters can still get the function with an update?

Hopefully that is the case... Pretty much the only reason for a hardware upgrade I (as an IT engineer) can think of, is a change in the USB connection. After all, apparently the part number for Bolero hasn't changed, so it can't be anything major, if they've really changed hardware, as some retailers have said.

In any case, I see that being an early adopter sucks big time right now. For us Android users, there's two competing technologies; MirrorLink and Android Auto. With MirrorLink, we know that we need a certified app running on a certified phone connected to a certified infotainment system. However, apparently that's not enough. In addition to being standardized, the combo needs to be compatible as well. The Skoda phone compatibility matrix, in addition to being almost non-existant for MirrorLink, leaves a lot of questions open. Where are all the latest phones? Do unlisted, but MirrorLink certified phones work (Samsung S6 and LG G4 even had their own press releases)? If not, who is responsible for building the compatibility? If the phone is listed as uncompatible, can the situation change, or is that it? What if I update the Android version of the phone (all phones have an OS version with the listing, and some of them have had major updates since)? MirrorLink seems like such a new tech that there aren't examples on how things have evolved on other systems, or are there? Also, how eager are developers to build stuff on MirrorLink now that Android Auto and CarPlay are available...

With Android Auto, the situation is fortunately more straight forward: it should work with any phone running Android Lollipop (OS version 5.0 or later). However, for now, there's a catch. Android Auto is rolling out with geo-block, meaning that it's currently available ONLY in Australia, UK and US. If you live outside those countries, the companion app is not even listed in Google Play Store. Naturally this will change, but nobody knows how fast. It took a really long time for the turn-by-turn navigation on Google Maps to spread out... IMHO, geo-blocking is just stupid. Users (or should I say "customers") have a tendency to find ways around it, albeit often with illegal or unsafe methods.

Are things any better in Apple-land?

For price and option comparison, we got the 2016 prices two weeks ago in Finland. With three trim levels (Active, Ambition and Style) SmartGate comes as standard with the latter two (costing 122 - 124 EUR for Active) and SmartLink comes as standard with Style (costing 188 - 192 EUR for Ambition, not available in Active). Admundsen navi costs 510 - 685 EUR for Ambition or Style (not available in Active). If you're wondering about the prices, they vary depending on taxes, which again vary depending on the CO2-emissions.

Does the Bolero have the same revision on the part number? Often the VW Group parts are 123456789 A or something, with the revised version being 123456789 B. 

I just wonder if CarPlay requires extra hardware, as the Lightning cables certainly aren't just simple wires and it wouldn't surprise me if Apple required some special hardware. If that hardware has always been there though, then that's awesome.

VC_10 , i'm guessing you would plug your very own apple certified cable in the USB input just under the Bolero. I know that's what i did :) and no.. mirrorlink didn't work :)) freaking skoda :(

Well, iPhones aren't MirrorLink certified (assuming the web directory is up to date), so you can't really blame Skoda for that. MirrorLink is pretty much Android only nowadays (no Windows phones either). What you can blame Skoda for, is shipping half baked tech and keeping customers (and apparently importers and retailers) in the dark. Sadly marketing material isn't reality often when it comes to IT. After all I've read about MirrorLink, it's not really surprising that it started as a Nokia project. They weren't exactly known for quality software...

• Like 1

Had a go at the updates today, low and behold they have failed, will try again when I get home, regardless of if they aren't or are for Mirrorlink.

Going to give customer service a ring in a little bit.

Not sure if I am over reacting at all but really getting hacked off with the way we have been treated, getting kept in the dark. Not the best way to treat your customers really.

@needhamy

I have also downloaded the two updates onto an SD card as instructed but the head unit will not accept them - I have followed the instructions to the letter with both updates at the same time as well as doing them separately but on all occasions 'error' shows up - totally frustrating.

Evening,

just thought i'd register as i'm in the same situation as all of you. Having rang my local Skoda dealership they're aware of the Mirrorlink issues, mainly because a member of staff there is also experiencing it. 

Over the phone they was unable to talk specifics about Mirrorlink or SmartLink. However, I am booked in to go and see the dealerships Master Technician on Saturday June 6th to go through all the technical aspects. I'm hoping to get this all resolved then and finally be able to use my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 as a sat nav.

Evening all,

Correct me if i'm wrong but when going to check compatibility of devices on skoda website , i could hardly find any phones :)) which will work with Bolero Mirrorlink. PLus I can see that after you select New Fabia 24/08/2014 built after, it asks to select between the Amundsen/Bolero and Swing.  

So doesn't this basically mean that the bolero unit and amundsen unit are one and the same? Otherwise I guess there would have been three options : Amundsen - Bolero - Swing. 

I think what's more annoying now is that they keep postponing updates on this. At least if I would know already what I can do..then I would probably jailbreak it :D  :devil:

@needhamy

I have also downloaded the two updates onto an SD card as instructed but the head unit will not accept them - I have followed the instructions to the letter with both updates at the same time as well as doing them separately but on all occasions 'error' shows up - totally frustrating.

I seem to remember somewhere in here that the SD card has to be a SKODA SD card or it will be rejected, this means it is not easy to update the firmware

I seem to remember somewhere in here that the SD card has to be a SKODA SD card or it will be rejected, this means it is not easy to update the firmware

All it says on the site is... 

• SD card. We recommend using a card of type SDHC (Class 10).
  • Like 1

So, it is my birthday in a week or two so treated myself to a brand new Sony Xperia Z3, this is one of the phones that is apparently Mirrorlink compatible. After dropping nearly £450 on a new phone I can confirm it works, here's the kicker though.

This crap is not fit for purpose. Its useless, cumbersome, fiddly and unreliable. The sygic sat nav app is also unreliable.

I set a route out to my home from the cinema, this is a 15 minute drive, I couldn't use Mirrorlink as the picture on the car refused to update to match the phone.

Long and short of it is that Mirrorlink is not fit for purpose, regardless of whether you are pre or post week 22.

I won't be getting another Skoda, lets put it that way.