Is there a speed limiter on the vRS?

I use ACC as my speed limiter :)

Now your just showing off!

Going the other direction, if you have ACC set, say going 70 down the motorway, would you ever need to touch any pedals? Will the ACC, along with your DSG box, slow you right down to a dead stop if necessary, then speed you back up again? Or does it stop working below a certain speed?

As for me, I use my foot and brain as my speed limiter. Combined they wouldn't let me go above *** mph (figure obscured so nobody actually knows what it is) :x  :x

Going the other direction, if you have ACC set, say going 70 down the motorway, would you ever need to touch any pedals? Will the ACC, along with your DSG box, slow you right down to a dead stop if necessary, then speed you back up again? Or does it stop working below a certain speed?

I test drove a Scout with ACC and drove about 100 km on the motorway without touching the pedals at all. (I was prepared to hit the brakes whenever I saw someone jumping on my lane, but every time the ACC reacted perfectly. This is why I didn't think twice about selecting the option for myself.

(Can't wait for it to arrive...should be here in about a month.)

I don't have a DSG gearbox but I think the answer is yes.

Like kallekilponen said, I get on the highway, activate ACC & rarely have to touch the pedals at all.

I wouldn't buy another commuting car without it & I especially like the way the VW system is calibrated (very relaxed & refined).

Its much more to my taste than the previous Ford system I used which was very agressive.

Yes there is a speed limiter on the vRS, it's called a gearbox and you will generally find it attached to the engine, controlled by a stick between the front seats. 

Generally, the gear ratios won't allow a diesel vRS to go beyond 235km/h  :devil: .

http://www.cargister.com/calculator-gear-ratio?rpm=6200&final_ratio_teeths[]=&final_ratio_teeths[]=&fdr=4.77&diameter=637.2&ratio[1]=2.92&ratio[2]=1.79&ratio[3]=1.14&ratio[4]=0.78&ratio[5]=0.80&ratio[6]=0.64&speed_in=mph&width=225&profile=40&wheel_diameter=18&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=

Pretty sure this is right for the standard petrol DSG , data taken from here (link below) . The thing you can influence when tuning is the peak power and the peak power rpm point, if you have that data (off a dyno sheet) you can work out the top speed the gearing will allow (not taking into account friction/resistance)

http://www.valleiautogroep.nl/downloads/Technische%20specificaties%20SKODA%20Octavia%20Combi%20RS.pdf

Not correct: you have to use the 3.44 as final drive ratio, leading to a max speed of 210mph for the DSG, if the power were available. The 6th gear on the DSG is indeed an extreme overdrive. 

I don't know why they list 2 numbers, but using the first one would give a manual TSI a top speed of only 130mph @ 6200rpm, which is obviously wrong. 

Not correct: you have to use the 3.44 as final drive ratio, leading to a max speed of 210mph for the DSG, if the power were available. The 6th gear on the DSG is indeed an extreme overdrive. 

I don't know why they list 2 numbers, but using the first one would give a manual TSI a top speed of only 130mph @ 6200rpm, which is obviously wrong. 

You cant use this for the manual car all the ratios are different (the manual car is in the first column of the pdf)

If you use the 3.44 that throws the rest out significantly though (I did try both)

Look at 3rd gear at 6200rpm that would give 118mph , 4th however jumps out to 172mph which is too big a gap also there is no logic to gearing the car to 210mph plus that would put 70mph at about 2000rpm in 6th

These are the gear speeds at peak power (6200rpm) you could obviously rev higher and go faster if you were to rev at 7000rpm for example that would allow 171mph with the 4.77 gearing however the 3.44 gearing would make that 237mph , does that really sound right to you ? 

You cant use this for the manual car all the ratios are different (the manual car is in the first column of the pdf)

If you use the 3.44 that throws the rest out significantly though (I did try both)

Look at 3rd gear at 6200rpm that would give 118mph , 4th however jumps out to 172mph which is too big a gap also there is no logic to gearing the car to 210mph plus that would put 70mph at about 2000rpm in 6th

These are the gear speeds at peak power (6200rpm) you could obviously rev higher and go faster if you were to rev at 7000rpm for example that would allow 171mph with the 4.77 gearing however the 3.44 gearing would make that 237mph , does that really sound right to you ? 

this post confirms that 70mph in 6th corresponds to 2000rpm on the DSG:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/283691-dsg-gear-ratios-on-a-new-vrs/

As I said, it is an extreme overdrive, theoretically allowing Veyron speeds :-)

So I still believe the 3.44 is the correct number to use.

I agree with your table for the manual, where you used the 2nd axel-drive number, as should also be done for the DSG.  

That puts a ridiculous jump between 3rd and 4th, makes 5th gear redundant and means that top speed can be achieved in 4th gear.

Laughable on a car with 220hp

That puts a ridiculous jump between 3rd and 4th, makes 5th gear redundant and means that top speed can be achieved in 4th gear.

perhaps the 2nd axel drive number is only used on the 5th and 6th gear, as a true overdrive? Don't know how they'd do that in the gearbox though...

EDIT: the answer is here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6419

Edited by GatorLinearFade