Beef's scratch built ditchmeister

B33fy

Broke an exhaust mount on the Kent potholes on my return!! Easy fix, will get it sorted for the weekend. Also popped down to Brighton and the Devils Dyke on top of the South Downs last Wednesday.  Grabbed a shot with my camera phone..

Devils Dyke 1 (2).jpg

• Like 3

Large run tomorrow, annual gathering, at Bentley Wildfowl Park near Lewes. Approx 30 cars. We've been asked to park on the lawns so others can take a bit of a gander. There's also a motor museum, so if anyone's passing, worth a visit. I'll try and grab a few shots along the way.

Sorted the exhaust bracket, checked fluids, added fuel and kicked the tyres. In readiness for an early kick off Sunday for the annual gathering of the SKCC gang. A great day was had with 30+ cars steaming.. sorry poodling through sleepy Kent and Sussex villages some lol moments, especially after driving down a high street taking a wrong turn then 30 odd cars doing a u turn and awakening the townsfolk for a second time.  Anyhow a few images below, apologies for the arty ones, it's my thing sadly.

36813210236_79a4ce215d_z.jpg

36165558354_c8f97a7170_c.jpg

36860929261_1eb3b1e1a1_c.jpg

36604412340_89bf12b71c_c.jpg

36860947241_7c2b6ae4ca_c.jpg

36813360906_3c462799d7_c.jpg

36604433800_1a03840c0a_c.jpg

36604441690_9319db853f_c.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Haynes Car Museum at Yeovil, last Sunday, with a group of 20 or so cars. Car went fine route planning and timetable went a bit pear shaped but fun all the same. A couple of images below, one at the museum and an arty local shot..

36747292800_600993c880_z.jpg

37038539492_7010a52bc2_z.jpg

• Like 2

Went to Rye Harbour for a full English this morning accompanied by a cosworth turbo engined Tiger running around 350bhp and 380lbft. A few sideways moments down the military road, caused by the poor road surface.

IMG_2766(1).jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

Need more power so managed to create some room in the workshop so I can get on and build my new engine. Finally got it on the engine stand and started doing some measurements.

Needed to know if I had enough valve to piston clearance as the heads are aftermarket, designed and made by Merlin. This valve sizes, clearance etc. are all different to the rover heads. Took a couple of valve springs off and bolted the head on with a new gasket, which unfortunately is now consigned to the bin.  Set the engine at TDC and checked the clearance. Good news, loads of clearance 6.5mm on inlet valve only needed 2mm or so.

Next Job was to work out the compression ratio as the heads have a larger size combustion chamber to the rover heads lowering the Compression ratio. Measured the head and the dimensions of the bore at TDC allowing for the piston, head gasket thickness and various other factors. Works out around 9:1 could do with a bit more so have decided to replace the pistons with 4.0litre ones which have a smaller bowl, 13cc instead of 22cc. This brings the compression up to 10.5:1 which will be ok. Because of the smaller bowl I’ll need to measure the piston/valve clearance again though should have enough.

Stripped the rest of the bits out of the block. Condition of the camshaft, main and big end bearings indicate very low mileage, except cylinder 1 big end, which was absolutely cooked. Not sure why this occurred maybe blocked oil way at some point, I’ll take a close look at the block and crank oil ways when I clean it. Luckily the crank is ok, maybe benefiting from a light polish.

36721434253_ff5836d10c_z.jpg

36721431283_94038fd124_z.jpg[/url]

37391683841_e064260924_z.jpg

36721423803_54ccd22b03_z.jpg

Edited by B33fy

Spent most of today sorting through a load of crap that I've accumulated over the past 7 or so years and having a clear out. Need to order a few parts such as bearings and pistons this week, though need to re-measure and double check sizes again. Fitted the camshaft and plonked the heads and inlet manifold on, to get them out of the way for now. Took a bit of an arty shot below, gives you an idea of the finished article, shame there are no internals fitted as yet to make it work..

engine (3).jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the crank is beyond polishing which means a +20 grind. Awaiting a call from the engineering company to confirm. Looking at a possible replacement crank as a +20 grind will max the crank out. If it’s a new crank tempted to go the whole hog and get a stroker kit. This would take the engine to 4.8 litres... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Early start yesterday morning, 0730 meet for a blat around Kent and East Sussex. Enjoyable route with a few stand out moments, especialy the traffic clearing out of Etchingham and with the six of us running tightly together, a full on assault up the hill towards Hurst Green, great stuff. Image below at the meet point. 

In in other news, crank being ground then it’s going to be balanced along with all the bits that attach to it. Awaiting a trigger wheel which needs to be fitted to the crank pulley, which needs machining first.. nothings ever straight forward. That’s kit cars for you.

FE22EBF5-9809-4051-9437-F47EF416E6F0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Out with the guys early this morning meet po8nt just down the road so an easy start for me. I was awoken by the sound of the dawn Zetec on bodies hooning past my house (Mark in his Tiger) so decided it was time to get ready and follow suit... a few minutes later voila and away we went, after a kick tyre kick of Tonys new flymo.. Westfield with a hayabusa lump in it.

Stand out moment,, drag race up Charing Hill then Tony's book of racing driver excuses, didn't know it was a dual carriage way.. gearchange.. wrong gear.. out of the power band.. need a poo etc etc.. Good oll V8, keep revving til it don't rev anymore. Took them like a king lol.

Road was dry so wrung the neck of the viento for a little while until the turn off to single track road then let Mark and Tony take the lead as I'm not keen on the narrow twisty's.

Hung back a bit thankfully with Marks incident, wasn't sure what was happening thought Mark was perhaps going for an overtake then noticed the concrete in the road, weaved around them thankfully then stopped to assess the situation. Concrete bollards placed in road from the grass verge, not good.

Some damage to Marks car, broken wishbone, bent sump guard and lost sat nav when the car launched itself over the concrete.  Carried on at a reduced pace to Breakie..

Breakie was spot on and great value, eggs were just right,  only £6. Bit of a detour on the way home to Eastbourne  to look at a car for swmbo, then back via Battle and the 1066 cafe for a quick pee stop. Road Warrior and his mad max bike, with the grenades and 50 cal ammo, was there, so had a laugh with him. He was telling me about his road rage incident the other day.. makes my recent incident suitable for a childrens story, I did suggest that waving the grenade around perhaps might not be the best move.

B2F89992-C25F-4884-BAF0-9CE342B3A5E9.jpeg

Edited by B33fy
  • Like 1

In other news, SWMBO's car was written off whilst parked outside the house a couple of weekends ago, can't comment too much as the police investigation is ongoing. Insurance company have been great and have a agreed a settlement figure for the car, which was a Fabia Diesel Monte Carlo Tech. Sad loss, great little car. Been looking for a replacement which has been next to impossible as they are rare as rocking horse poo. Looked at later shape models but not many diesel 105's and even less with Sat Nav. not prepared to get my pants pulled down with a new one. Looking for a cash sale circa £12k, would go higher for the right car, though not too high, as SWMBO would woman it in less than a week, knocking thousands off the value anyhow..

Thought about a Yeti Black Edition, SWMBO said yes, found a couple and chased them up, no flex on the prices so walked away. Even if it was just £50 off it would have at least made me feel I was getting something, but nope, sod all. Had a lot of sales guys say I'll look out for something and let you know,.. none did. Not sure why? did they not think I was serious or had the means? or what?

Clocked a 2015 A5 cabriolet S Line in white, seriously tempted, gave them a call, then reminded myself of SWMBO's driving habits, did the car a favour and saved it from a constant kerbing. No Sat Nav either which was a prerequisite.

Anyhow, a deal is done, got a gem of a car on its way, a Honda Civic SR diseasal. Clocked the advert late last night, e-mailed the garage which was near Peterborough, return phone call first thing this morning, deal done and dusted in less than 9 minutes.. proper job. The price was great though managed a another £150 off to sweeten the deal. that'll pay for my fuel for Richards track day :).  SWMBO will be picking it up on her way to Scotland next week. Car is low mileage and totally loaded. I'd be happy to smoke about in it and SWMBO can use mine lol. A few advert images below,, just ripe for a few Type R bits for the Ricer Look.  :)

FV65NSE_8_1498292234.jpg.bc4c1b064972c88fa4b6a1a1b9d0cdbd.jpgFV65NSE_9_1498292234.jpg.3af10d30613fe8c90eaa15bb4e298c18.jpg

FV65NSE_1_1498291936.jpg.980b748c82dc173d3fb483dbd34f11c4.jpgFV65NSE_2_1498292234.jpg.6669d468e24b996cd31f973a5fa1620d.jpgFV65NSE_5_1498292234.jpg.9158263f3ca9f89e6bce06151065e50a.jpgFV65NSE_7_1498292234.jpg.e3c90f13d2d46746c209dd93ee509e17.jpg

• Like 1

On 31/10/2017 at 18:02, B33fy said:

In other news, SWMBO's car was written off whilst parked outside the house a couple of weekends ago, can't comment too much as the police investigation is ongoing. Insurance company have been great and have a agreed a settlement figure for the car, which was a Fabia Diesel Monte Carlo Tech. Sad loss, great little car. Been looking for a replacement which has been next to impossible as they are rare as rocking horse poo. Looked at later shape models but not many diesel 105's and even less with Sat Nav. not prepared to get my pants pulled down with a new one. Looking for a cash sale circa £12k, would go higher for the right car, though not too high, as SWMBO would woman it in less than a week, knocking thousands off the value anyhow..

Thought about a Yeti Black Edition, SWMBO said yes, found a couple and chased them up, no flex on the prices so walked away. Even if it was just £50 off it would have at least made me feel I was getting something, but nope, sod all. Had a lot of sales guys say I'll look out for something and let you know,.. none did. Not sure why? did they not think I was serious or had the means? or what?

Clocked a 2015 A5 cabriolet S Line in white, seriously tempted, gave them a call, then reminded myself of SWMBO's driving habits, did the car a favour and saved it from a constant kerbing. No Sat Nav either which was a prerequisite.

Anyhow, a deal is done, got a gem of a car on its way, a Honda Civic SR diseasal. Clocked the advert late last night, e-mailed the garage which was near Peterborough, return phone call first thing this morning, deal done and dusted in less than 9 minutes.. proper job. The price was great though managed a another £150 off to sweeten the deal. that'll pay for my fuel for Richards track day :).  SWMBO will be picking it up on her way to Scotland next week. Car is low mileage and totally loaded. I'd be happy to smoke about in it and SWMBO can use mine lol. A few advert images below,, just ripe for a few Type R bits for the Ricer Look.  :)

FV65NSE_8_1498292234.jpg.bc4c1b064972c88fa4b6a1a1b9d0cdbd.jpgFV65NSE_9_1498292234.jpg.3af10d30613fe8c90eaa15bb4e298c18.jpg

FV65NSE_1_1498291936.jpg.980b748c82dc173d3fb483dbd34f11c4.jpgFV65NSE_2_1498292234.jpg.6669d468e24b996cd31f973a5fa1620d.jpgFV65NSE_5_1498292234.jpg.9158263f3ca9f89e6bce06151065e50a.jpgFV65NSE_7_1498292234.jpg.e3c90f13d2d46746c209dd93ee509e17.jpg

My Father in Law has one of those - same spec and colour but the tourer...

10 minutes ago, mdk1 said:

Civic looks nice Mike, hopefully swmbo proof.

Are you taking the kit car to Snetterton?

Yes, taking the kit up there. Not expecting great things, just a back of fun and some track experience. The suspension is too hard and the engine too rattlely to break any lap records lol

@skomaz Not seen the car yet , bought it blind as it’s miles away, hopefully the real thing looks as good as the Images. Is your FiL happy with it?

On Wednesday, November 01, 2017 at 20:28, B33fy said:

Yes, taking the kit up there. Not expecting great things, just a back of fun and some track experience. The suspension is too hard and the engine too rattlely to break any lap records lol

@skomaz Not seen the car yet , bought it blind as it’s miles away, hopefully the real thing looks as good as the Images. Is your FiL happy with it?

Yep seems to be...   hes just paid the balloon final pay!ent on his pcp for it so it stopping lets put it that way!

certainly its got lots of toys (more than he knows how to use) and it pretty comfy even if the leather is a bit slidey for my liking.  seats seem pretty low set and it pulls ok but not as well as his old 2.2 diesel which i now have.  reliability seems good but he has had a few issues with the tracling and slight crabbing which i think is the rear axle alignment but seems to wear the inner edge of the front tyres.  overall hes happy with it though.

if you find it lack soom oomph bluespark do a tuning box for it that gets good reviews from owners

forgot to say the headlights arent great but he only has halogens

Edited by skomaz

Car now at Snodhurst Garage ready to be loaded up for the jaunt to Snetterton on Monday.  Trailering the car up along with Jays Honda Civic Race Car , more to guarantee getting home than anything else. Nearly didn’t make it to the garage this morning, with an unexpected sideways moment across the road up a hill at around 50-60mph. Managed to gather it up and avoid the oncoming... NS2R’s are poop in the wet.

Not expecting great things at Snetterton, other than a bit of fun. Jays hoping to get a few track miles on the Honda and see if anything major needs sorting though again it’s about having some fun. Taking a few tools/ spares with us just in case something minor crops up that can be quickly sorted to keep us going during the day... mainly gaffa tape, cable ties and loads of fuel! :)

Bit of a report on yesterdays brilliant track day

The Brisky Racing track day was awaited with eager anticipation and couldn't come soon enough. A huge amount of prep was done leading up to the day, particularly to get the Honda there, as it was something Jay was keen to do. Also on my part, to try and get some reliability and keep the Viento in one piece, then rock up and have half a chance for some track time.

The weekend was spent sorting out and second guessing what spares may be needed to keep us track side, then all loaded Sunday, ready for the off. The off being 0430 departure from Snodhurst going direct to Snetterton.

Made good time with arrival just before 0700, grabbed a garage, then off loaded. First things first, got a brew going, well done Jay for bringing the brewing kit. Registration at 0730, then some breakie and briefing. God knows where the time went.

TBH I was quite apprehensive about the day, having very limited track experience and knowing that there were some quick cars out there. I was more concerned about the track being busy, getting in the way, not spotting an approaching car or generally being a nuisance on track. The sighting laps helped somewhat, especially as I was directly behind the safety car and could get half an idea on lines etc.

I went out soon after the sighting laps had been completed and need not have worried, loads of room, track felt rather empty most of the time with plenty of opportunities to let faster cars through. Track etiquette was also top drawer, couldn’t have asked for anything better.

The car went well, and speeds increased during the morning, suspension is rock solid so very little feedback from the car so cornering was a bit of a lottery so stayed cautious most of the time. A couple of minor issues, the brakes smelt extremely hot, Chris checked them with a temperature probe. The rears were cooking and the fronts were cold. Had a play with the bias and a couple of short blasts and after a recheck all was so much better.

Oil pressure dropped right off just before lunch, noticed it when returning to the garage and killed the engine, checked levels, a bit of a top up and cool down and all was good. Kept an eye on it the rest of the day.

In other news, just did a couple of stints in the afternoon, had a wander with the camera and said hello to a few people I knew. Bumped into Richard at the other end of the pit lane, he kindly arranged for James to passenger in their 2016 ex BTCC Touring Car. Off he went, they managed to blow the doors off Ricer Jay, pull silly G’s under braking at the end of Bentley Straight, and corner at speeds that seemed to be not physically possible.

Overall a brilliant day and one of the best days out I’ve had in a long while, very much worth the effort and made even better with the Snodhurst crew. a big thanks also to Bossfox for organising a great day.

A couple of images below

Untitled_pregamma_0.51_mantiuk06_contrast_mapping_0.1_saturation_factor_0.8_detail_factor_111 (2).jpg

Untitled_pregamma_0.51_mantiuk06_contrast_mapping_0.1_saturation_factor_0.8_detail_factor_1 (2).jpg

Untitled_pregamma_0.51_mantiuk06_contrast_mapping_0.1_saturation_factor_0.8_detail_factor_11.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Brief update, radiator fan failed on the kit, returning home after offloading it from the trailer, cooked the engine slightly resulting in a suspected head gasket failure. Though not before completing the now yearly remembrance run to a memorial ceremony at a sleepy village in West Sussex. The location was picked at random about 4 years ago because of plenty of parking. It’s also a little bit out the way, as the whole point is to pay our respects to those lost in conflict, rather than draw attention to ourselves. We have a collection for a poppy weath which is presented at the memorial, along with a bit of a donation to help for the hero’s. The ceremony is attended by the locals  who have embraced the club attending and now look forward to welcoming us each year. The juxposition of local gentry, and a load of middle aged men living the dream, seems to work well lol. Image below of the memorial.

75EA3042-C707-4C10-BE3B-6B51CCDD0812.jpeg

Edited by B33fy
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Quite a few of the guys went to the black forest earlier in the year on the annual euro blat. Phil knocked up a great film clip and has just finished editing it, no rush then, lol..which I think is stunning and worth sharing.,, enjoy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1