Beef's scratch built ditchmeister

B33fy

10 hours ago, skomaz said:

Doh...   Sounds like not !much luck recently...

The way it goes skomaz.. especially with older cars., just got to get in with it. Quite like the C30, gonna cost the best part of £1500 I could get another and have the same big bills so might as well stick with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Daily driver back on the road with new clutch, dmf and gearbox, noise still there.. hey ho.

Bought a job lot of Rover 3.9 lumps at the right price. Going to make a good one out of three and throw it in the kit to get back on the road for summer. The 4.6 is a major ball ache to transplant at the moment, this way gets the car mobile again quickly for not a lot of money.

All parts ordered, engines picked up, one stripped down. Crank is shot though block is usable. Fingers crossed for a usable crank in the other engine.

A7EFC974-4CE1-46A2-B753-07CCE53A57BA.jpeg

6C6C23AC-8A79-46E3-A88F-15DADB51AD3F.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pieced together an engine, new shells, rings etc. The engines are 3.5l units, a bit down on power but not going to split hairs over a few horsepower. Should be ok for 190 - 200 bhp.

0161A888-E7EF-481E-A0F2-851428BDE1CC.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

gotta love the style with this - "old engine is buggered - ah well I'll just buy three others and piece together one decent one out of the three"...   ☺️

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, skomaz said:

gotta love the style with this - "old engine is buggered - ah well I'll just buy three others and piece together one decent one out of the three"...   ☺️

Not worth the hassle trying to sort the old engine, You can get them up for next to nothing and refresh using Britparts for less than £300 though not the best quality parts. I go upmarket and spend a bit more.

Mind you, I’ve a load of crap knocking about to get rid of.

Edited by B33fy

Didn’t notice a sheared rocker gear bolt in one of the cylinder heads. Sorted out another head, another set of stretch bolts and head gasket later, all sorted. Put a few more bits on the engine, valve gear and clutch left to do then hopefully get it in the hole today. Engine is upside down to let the sump gasket silicon go off.

B776D5FF-A09D-4D3F-ACD7-279CEC72FDEE.jpeg

Engine is back in the hole, not without its challenges stripped threads, wrong spigot bearings already fitted etc etc. A few more connections to make then give it a whirl..

B710E2F3-EB26-42AB-B03F-4E247D759288.jpeg

• Like 3

Ive an idea how my missus would feel about having 3 or 4 engines down the side of the house..

I have a definite idea about the reaction to a half built one in front if the oven :D

brilliant work b33fy :)

On 24/06/2019 at 21:33, mdk1 said:

Great work Mike.

18 hours ago, mac11irl said:

Ive an idea how my missus would feel about having 3 or 4 engines down the side of the house..

I have a definite idea about the reaction to a half built one in front if the oven :D

brilliant work b33fy :)

Thanks both, the other half is pretty laid back, all the scrap lying around bothers me more so she knows it’ll be gone once sorted. She’s more bothered about tripping over the spare tyre in the utility room than the engine in the kitchen 😂

• Haha 3

All connected, and making a noise. No oil pressure despite priming the pump. Not sure what the issue is at present. Picking up an oil extractor tomorrow to have a go at sucking some oil through.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much time to look at the car, though sump needs to come off to take a look at the pickup and see what’s going on. A bolt has stripped holding the slave cylinder on so I can sort that at the same time.

• 3 years later...

An update. Albeit a late one!! Got fed up messing about with the kit, never really got the car running properly on the last engine rebuild. Decided there were better ways to have fun so had a clear out and sold the lot.

Decided to take photography a bit more seriously, after all it should be cheaper than a project car right? Over the past three or four years have upgraded the camera gear for not an inconsiderate amount!

Decided I needed another project that would make me money so invested in some real estate and after a slow start due to the planning red tape, my son and I are currently converting and extending a Scottish lodge and have a new build in the pipeline.

Image of the lodge below and CGI of the proposed new build.

IMG_4147.jpeg

IMG_4124.jpeg

Edited by B33fy
  • Like 2