Car long term test on VRS

As always Car are spot on with their reviews. Having a virtually identical spec car I can relate to the pro's and con's after 6k miles. Thankfully the pro's massively outweigh the cons which for me, the big one being the ride. A few long trips on the M1 and M6 in the last couple of weeks confirms the ride just never really settles which I have no doubt it will do when I get on the autoroutes in May for hols. Frustrating as I've really grown to love everything else about it pretty much.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/long-term-tests/skoda/skoda-octavia-vrs-estate-diesel-2014-long-term-test-review/

I was invited my Skoda to partake in a rather extensive research / questionnaire regarding my new vRS, Skoda in general and the dealer that sold it to me.

Although I am pretty miffed about all of it, I did mention some downsides compared to my previous car, which is a pretty big part of the interview: how does it compare?

Well, the BMW was 100% quality on the inside, no rattles even with loud music and the range was excellent. Also, I sorely miss my dipping side mirror. 

The vRS is a great car and I truly love it, in a way it's a compliment that they made a c-segment car that comes so close to matching my experience with a d-segment one.

I know and I've sent my dealer all the appropriate links to this (and other) forum(s) containing the info to do so, but none such luck. 

Supposedly you need electric seats, because their memory banks are used to store the mirrors' position before dipping. And the vRS does not have those.

You can still programme the passenger side mirror to dip (albeit by a set amount) without memory seats. It's in the sticky thread at the top of the mk3 forum. Anyone with a vcds cable can assist

I think there is a difference between a firm ride which is crashy and a firm ride which can also be compliant. The quality of components used (springs, dampers, roll bars, tyres) defines the ride. I don't think Much of thr vrs ride quality, to much of an uncontrolled spring rate. I run a porsche which has firm suspension but also has a compliance when the road is not so good. As stated, depends on the quality of parts.

I find the Octavia pretty compliant, its almost the same as my 06 Passat was but gets pitched about a little more but its also lighter. It does after all have almost the same suspension setup with the high compliance control arm bushes and the multi link rear end.

My wife's mx5 which is polybushed and on coilovers can make me flinch if I catch a pothole but for the most part its composed you just 'feel' the road a bit. I prefer a firmer ride but I just don't think the vrs is bad at all. Its more or as comfortable than most of the cars I've owned or been in recently

Maybe I'm used to harsher ride quality... Especially with my hotrod with leaf sprung solid axles and a hard tail motorbike?

All these comments about porches and bmws etc... These are much more expensive cars. Of course more money will have been spent on refining the ride quality and the quality of components used. Im happy with the way the vrs drives and i certainly don't expect it to be the best at everything (or indeed anything) considering the cost. The vrs, as a package, suits my needs well. For me, a bit less comfort and a bit more Road noise over rough surfaces is a small sacrifice considering the value for money the car represent (im a company car driver, so this just refers to my lease costs and tax etc before anyone gets started)

• Like 1

I've been following CARS time with the vRS closely. Perhaps it is because I really love my car, but I can't really say the ride is firm or the wind noise is too high. If I had wanted a softer car I'd have bought an Elegance..?

• Like 1

I've been following CARS time with the vRS closely. Perhaps it is because I really love my car, but I can't really say the ride is firm or the wind noise is too high. If I had wanted a softer car I'd have bought an Elegance..?

Do they come with free pipe and slippers?

They come with a more comfortable ride which people who have actively bought the "sporty" model in the range seem to still want.

I think you will still find plenty of non-vrs owners complaining.... If not about the ride, then the road noise, the price, the weather... The lack of respect from the youth of today,... Just saying [emoji10] [emoji1]
  • Like 2

Taken from the CAR link -

Which brings us to my biggest gripe on the Octavia vRS: the ride. It is badly tuned, our 18in Gemini anthracite alloys and sports suspension crashing and bashing over every expansion joint and hole in the road. It’s far from relaxing and ruined the experience for me. We briefly swapped notes with sister title Parkers, whose equally bright vRS rolled on 19s. They were only marginally less comfortable than us.

I think if you compare the car to the latest F31 its going to feel a bit more "crashy" in the ride, however compare it to a E60/1 or a E91 and the ride quality in the vRS is better. 

Thing is, you cant compare a £25k car against a £30k plus and expect like for like.

From my review of 600 miles, I found the drive great on the M1 once the lane assit was turned off and even with it turned on once usded to it, it felt planted.

They come with a more comfortable ride which people who have actively bought the "sporty" model in the range seem to still want.

Do they though? The normal Elegance comes with the cheap suspension, whereas the vRS doesn't. Ive heard the vRS actually has a more comfortable ride because of it.

Taken from the CAR link -

I think if you compare the car to the latest F31 its going to feel a bit more "crashy" in the ride, however compare it to a E60/1 or a E91 and the ride quality in the vRS is better. 

Thing is, you cant compare a £25k car against a £30k plus and expect like for like.

From my review of 600 miles, I found the drive great on the M1 once the lane assit was turned off and even with it turned on once usded to it, it felt planted.

and they have nicely described my Elegance, especially early on. Thankfully it has gotten better with miles, but still a similar car they have described.

It's a weird review as I don't find the ride too harsh or the road noise too loud. A friend has an A5 sline and that feels like there's no suspension at all! It's all they seem to have to say which is a little sad.

Sure there's a few things I wish it had but you have to draw the line on extras somewhere.