What PDA do people use??

Just looking at buying a PDA for sat nav use.

Wondered what people on here have bought and if anyone knows of any good deals anywhere.

Also please give feedback on reliability of your own purchase.

Thanks in advance.

I use a Dell Axim X5. Got it about 4 years ago so it isnt the most modern out there but its got a nice big screen and as I only use it for sat nav thats pretty much all that matter.

Does have sd and cf expansion slots and runs windows ppc

Its never gone wrong despite living in my glove box when not sitting in its cradle on my windscreen!

Edit: You cant but these from Dell anymore but you can get them from Ebay-

I have a Palm Zire 31, which is also getting on a bit, but again I only really use it for Sat Nav (which it copes with pretty well), and putting the occasional reminder in the calendar - no email or word processing or anything like that...

Using an old Ipaq 2210, has both CF and SD slots and both can be used at the same time for lots of storage space. Runs Tomtom 5 perfectly, although it has been obsolete for sometime now.

Wondered what people on here have bought and if anyone knows of any good deals anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

I have recently put three GPS systems together for people at work and i have picked up the HP IPAQ RX1710 from PC World at an online only price of

:rofl: Making full use of windows mobile then!

Absolutley, lmao. it really is just a gps machine for me,

My brother uses one for work purposes but i cant be assed with it tbh.

I bought a Sony erricson P910i and that does all this windows mobile stuff too with PDF,word and excel viewers but i find it most usefull for watching widescreen videos :rofl:

Thanks in advance.

I've recently (2 weeks ago) bought a HP HX4700 which is a hi spec PDA. I plan to add a bluetooth GPS antenna, software et all in due course. Also as the PDA has Bluetooth built in, I plan to upgrade my mobile so I can use the PDA as hands free as well as using the touch screen to recall and dial numbers.

HX 4700 is probably a bit overkill for most people who are looking to get into mobile navigation but it has got a large 4in display and the fastest processor in the PDA market (unless another product has been introduced that I haven't seen!!). :thumbup:

I use an Ipaq 6340, which is combined PDA and mobile phone running PPC2003. Works really well with TT5. I use it with a Parrot 3300 combined bluetooth car kit and sat nav receiver. The sat nav instructions (including camera warnings) come through the audio system and automatically mute what is on.

Phone, PDA and sat nav work together well. For example TT5 puts an option in my contacts list to navigate to the address, or show it on a map - so don't need to re-enter address in TT5.

If you want more than one bluetooth connection going at the same time - for example using the sat nav receiver and a mobile phone to call up a POI or TT Traffic, then steer clear of Palm based systems - they can only have one bluetooth connection open at a time. So Palm based PDA/Phones (Treo?) can't use the Parrot 3300 because they can't have sat nav receiver connection open at same time as phone connection.

I use a Palm Tungsten T3 with an el-cheapo GPS Mouse and Car Holder/Charger.

TomTom 5 installed, Iambic Agendus and Iambic Mail installed, along with a few other bits and bobs such as an encrypted password manager and other little apps.

I've had all sorts of PDA's in the past, but this one does Navigation and Agenda stuff just fine.

I've recently (2 weeks ago) bought a HP HX4700 which is a hi spec PDA. I plan to add a bluetooth GPS antenna' date=' software et all in due course. Also as the PDA has Bluetooth built in, I plan to upgrade my mobile so I can use the PDA as hands free as well as using the touch screen to recall and dial numbers.

HX 4700 is probably a bit overkill for most people who are looking to get into mobile navigation but it has got a large 4in display and the fastest processor in the PDA market (unless another product has been introduced that I haven't seen!!). :thumbup:[/quote']

Was looking at this one but HP have just discontinued it!! Couldn't believe it myself

I can vouch for the HTC range - they go under many brands but are the same bit of gear underneath:

I-Mate, Q-Tek, O2 XDA, T-mobile MDA, Orange SPV, Vodafone VDA etc :)

Here's the newest one which i am about to lay my grubby hands on to 'test':

xda-exec-i1.jpg

I'm still using a PalmPilot 5000 (OK, a US Robotics Pilot 5000 to be exact). 8 years old and still going strong. Not really much use for Sat Nav however.

My best mate's got a T-Mobile MDA III smartphone made by HTC (see above) which he's coupled with a Arkon GPS window mount and TomTom which works well. I'm quite tempted when my upgrade is due...

re: discontinued ipaq hx4700.

it does mean places will start wanting to shift backroom stock....

the hx4700 never sold well at 400 quid, but at 319, was my only option.

i don't actually use it for sat-nav - i've got a navman icn510 for that.

but no reason why the hx4700 shouldn't be good for ut - awesome high resolution screen (only equalled by Dell X50v and a Fujitsu PocketLoox 720 btw), twin card slots (sd and cf) and built in wifi and bluetooth.

i use mine more as a pda.

pretty robust, but battery drain if running wifi and bluetooth might not be too clever - power hungry beasty.

also, audio isn't very loud from the unit, so for sat-nav i'd say you'd need some way of boosting that (maybe a cassette adapter to feed into the car stereo)

I selected a Dell Axim X30 that has BT and Wireless 802.11b.

Great for contacts, appointments and playing movies that I have grabbed and shrunk! Cost about

Got my medion PDA back this morning, all check over and ship-shape. Been 3 weeks and it now has the new battery part so I can charge it. I can't believe it went with no fuss, I call Medion, they arrange for it to be picked up, it gets picked up on time, I get a call to advise it will take longer than 10 working days due to them not having the part, and it returns 3 weeks to the day I sent it. Can't believe that all worked these days!

Now working really well, all tightened back up and well screwed together. Just Like a service for a car!