Tyres

g7pkf

Having compared some prices for 16" and 17" tyres on Black Circles, I can see that there are some financial advantages to having 'standard' size wheels. The price differences for Avon ZZ3s were surprisingly marked!

One of the reasons I changed my tyres size to 225/45/17 is that these are actually a little cheaper than the standard 205/50/17.

205/50/17 is actually a strange size and is probably unique to the RS whereas the 225/45/17 is quite a common fitment.

Paid

I'm tempted by the ZZ3s. Paul Ffelan is running these on 17" rims (I think) and reckons they're OK. Mrs Fen's Mondeo is running ZV1s and they're pretty good both in the dry and the wet. The only thing I'm not sure about is life, but I guess I'll just have to find out!

Won't go the Goodyear route due to only getting 8k out of the last pair (but they stuck like **** to a carpet!!)

Cheers,

AutoExpress have just published an article - investigating the merits of about 10 tyres of the 16 inch variety .....might be worth reading if you are in the market , but personal experience varies with actual results of the test ..... 3 Continental tyres were legal for only 8K ! and the company claimed there was nothing wrong with them !

205/50/17 is actually a strange size and is probably unique to the RS

It is not unique. For a start it is a standard size for a 911, on the front, which is why you will see some tyres in that size quoted as N1, N2, N3 which are the Porsche ones. I get the feeling that the tyre manufacturers may be cashing in on the fact that as theyare Porsche tyres, people will pay Porsche prices.

Whilst hunting around for a cr for my dear lady wife, I noticed that the 307 has these tyres on so hopefully as they become more common they will become cheaper.