Been washing my car wrong for 40 odd years

Time, circumstance and jobs sometimes dictate that some jobs fall by the way side. Nice to hear you've got your mojo back for it. All problems can be rectified or easily improved. So if there are any questions you have where we may be able to help just ask away!

Sonax make some decent stuff, enjoy!

• Like 2

Cheers Neil and certainly will do.  I shall tackle the scratches the next day or two and see what I can do with them as they don't look very deep but I fear the lacquer on the bumper will be a different problem altogether.

Regards Chris

I would definitely approach the place you bought it from to sort it. A skoda garage should not be selling a car with peeling lacquer. I'm sure you'll come to an arrangement with them.

• Like 4

OK went out in the car yesterday and guess what?  Yup it got mucky!  Now in the past I have used some bottled stuff that you get in various shops like Boyes and you just wipe it on your car to clean it without water.  Hang on just off to the shed to find out what it is called.................OK I am back sorry to keep you waiting.  It is called Greased Lightning.  So first of all is that a QD?  Then with a QD can you just use it as a waterless cleaner ie just wipe off the muck with it and buff?  I assume not but then what do I know?

Anyway today I received my 5 lts of Sonax  BSD so when I have time I will wash the car again and apply that and see how I get on with it.  So is the BSD a QD?  I do get confused with all of these abbreviations!  Having read the label there is nothing much in the way of instruction unless you can speak German. So do you use it as it is or do you dilute it at all?  I have bought a spray bottle and I am thinking i just decant some into that and spray on and wipe off.  Just checking before I go and do it really.

I shall be in touch with the garage Neil and see what they say but having bought the car I doubt they will be very interested.  Still as you say worth a try.

I am glad to report that my sponges and wash brush have been banished for uses other than the car and I am looking at some more mits and a foam lance so i guess I have been bitten by the bug.

Regards Chris

• Like 1

OK went out in the car yesterday and guess what?  Yup it got mucky!  Now in the past I have used some bottled stuff that you get in various shops like Boyes and you just wipe it on your car to clean it without water.  Hang on just off to the shed to find out what it is called.................OK I am back sorry to keep you waiting.  It is called Greased Lightning.  So first of all is that a QD?  Then with a QD can you just use it as a waterless cleaner ie just wipe off the muck with it and buff?  I assume not but then what do I know? Yes and no...Yes its a type of Quick Detailer but I would never use it to clean off dirt..It simply cant work without scratching your paintwork..It can be used to apply as a QD after a wash though..to top up your wax or sealant layer

Anyway today I received my 5 lts of Sonax  BSD so when I have time I will wash the car again and apply that and see how I get on with it.  So is the BSD a QD? Its a Quick Sealant rather than strictly a QD  I do get confused with all of these abbreviations!  Having read the label there is nothing much in the way of instruction unless you can speak German. So do you use it as it is or do you dilute it at all?  I have bought a spray bottle and I am thinking i just decant some into that and spray on and wipe off.  Just checking before I go and do it really. No need to dilute..Just a light spray and wipe off straight away..Fold a MF cloth in 4 and spread with one side, buff off with the other..Or carry two cloths

I shall be in touch with the garage Neil and see what they say but having bought the car I doubt they will be very interested.  Still as you say worth a try.

I am glad to report that my sponges and wash brush have been banished for uses other than the car and I am looking at some more mits and a foam lance so i guess I have been bitten by the bug.

Nice one.....Its no going back now!!

Regards Chris

Hi Chris....Some answers for you

Chris thanks for the rapid response.  What no work today? :notme:   Mind you I suppose you are playing with the new toy. :D

Much clearer now ta.  Actually looking forward to trying it at the weekend weather permitting.  Alas I do not have a garage so everything has to be done outside in whatever is thrown at us and today it is a biting chilling wind so sod it.

Regards Chris

• Like 1

Oh no I have done it now!  Bought a lance and some snow foam (Valet foam).  I really must seek professional help about this addiction!!!!!  Just hope it all arrives for the weekend then the VRS will be nice and shiny for the meet up at Waddington Wave.

Regards Chris

• Like 4

This is the wrong place to seek professional help as we're all bonkers on here....

If you mean valet pro ph neutral SF keep it indoors rather than in the garage this time of year as it separates out in the cold weather

• Like 2

I store all my cleaning stuff in my beadroom. I have no room in my bedroom now, it's just bed. Or bedstuff. But it keeps it away from dad.

A room for beads?  Cool.  ;)

All my detailing gear takes up a whole shelf of racking in the garage, plus 3 rolling toolboxes.  But I use it for more than just personal use, so it's all necessary,  Would hate to have to store it all indoors.  :(

A room for beads?  Cool.   ;)

All my detailing gear takes up a whole shelf of racking in the garage, plus 3 rolling toolboxes.  But I use it for more than just personal use, so it's all necessary,  Would hate to have to store it all indoors.   :(

We have a big garage, and there would easily be room for it all in there. I just don't want it there. He'll take it and use it wrong. The last time I left a drying towel to dry and I got back from work and it was being used to "polish" his car  :peek: And no, he won't let me detail his.   :(

• Like 1

Sounds like you fully got the bug back, Chris.

Let us know when you start looking at products for the engine bay. That's when it get's serious ;)

So the foam lance has turned up but not the Valet ph so I have just used some BMW Mini polish I had hanging about as I doubt I will use it as polish now I am into all this superior product. :clap:   It foamed up ok but I ran out just when I got to the muckiest part the boot and back end.  I know, I know I should have started there and worked my way round to the front which wasn't as bad.  Next time huh?

So having foamed it I then did the TBW thing and used my BSD to help dry the car and then buffed it off with a mf cloth.  Hey getting good at all these abbreviations.  It is looking nice and clean but I want it to rain now so I can see my beads!!!!! 

Having showed the marks on the car to RichC today whilst I was relieving him of his 18" Zeniths that he was selling he assured me the marks would come out with a polish.  So I guess that is my next job now the car is clean to try and get rid of the marks and one or two others that I have found.  Oh and then I have to do the wheels and as I have two sets now that means twice as much work.  Mind you one set is going to be resprayed so i may just leave them for the time being.  Depending on when I go for the respray.  Spent quite a bit on the car since I bought it what with all of this detailing malarkey and then a set of wheels.

Now did someone mention the engine bay? :notme:

Regards Chris

PS No photos as there seems little point it just loos like a clean car.  Oh and I have to do the wife's MX5 now.

• Like 1

Oh, with regard to beading. Another good clue of when you're getting obsessed is not only wishing for rain to see the results of your labours, but getting so impatient that you simulate it by holding your thumb over the hosepipe to mist the car in a fine, beautiful spray.

Nah I just checked the weather on the BBC and it is going to rain tomorrow.  So I shall sit inside and look at all of the drops racing off my car.  Then I have to go and sort the shed out so I can find all of my valeting detailing goodies.  Oh and find  a space for the new set of wheels apart fro the one that is going in the boot.

I have got to find out how to clean the wheels now but think I may just clean them and then polish them with the McGuires unless someone shouts NO at me and tells me what else I need to buy.  I have read something about sealing them but until they are refurbed and painted I am not going to bother too much just give them a quick blast with the pressure washer and dry them off.

I am enjoying it all though and looked forward to doing it today.  Got the Mazda MX5 to do tomorrow but I suspect getting snow foam on the roof is not a good idea.  Best be careful then.

See what you have made me into now some sort of maniac with a mitten. :giggle:

Regards Chris

Sounds like you fully got the bug back, Chris.

Let us know when you start looking at products for the engine bay. That's when it get's serious ;)

That's a relief. I thought I had a problem having 3 different lots of snowfoam....

• Like 1

Getting snow foam on the roof is no problem Chris. Mine gets it

Only problem Chris is that it doesn't get the cat hair off it. :devil:

So brushing it with one of those rubber brushes that remove pet hair and I think it would be easier to remove the pet!!!!!!

Regards Chris

Oh, with regard to beading. Another good clue of when you're getting obsessed is not only wishing for rain to see the results of your labours, but getting so impatient that you simulate it by holding your thumb over the hosepipe to mist the car in a fine, beautiful spray.

I would do that if it weren't for the fear of getting water spots.

• Like 1

Hot update:-  I have beads!!!! :dance:   No I am not going to take a picture to show you and yes they are small beads but it was only small rain. :giggle:

Regards Chris

• Like 3