Daytime running light warning/failure , vRS

My car has flashed up a warning message this morning to check the left hand side DRL, and sure enough it's not working.

I'm guessing it's just the lamp that's failed but as my car is now 10 months old it won't be covered by warranty?

Anyone changed this lamp yet? I know on some cars lamp changes can be horrific bumper off jobs! Wondering weather to tackle myself or pay the dealer?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice

As said, it's an LED. I had also just assumed the LED was non replaceable and that a full light cluster replacement was the only solution. I have no idea if that's the case though, it was just my assumption.

Well the manual is as clear as mud! It doesn't seem to list how to change a DRL bulb on a "xenon headlight with LED DRL", it only lists how to change an "additional parking light".

It does list how to change a DRL on a "headlight with xenon light", wonder if it's the same?

I sense a dealer visit coming on.

Have you checked with your dealer. Or are you just assuming it won't be covered under warranty. After all its not just an ordinary bulb. If no joy there, contact Skoda UK. I would expect those things to last years.

I did and she said it wasn't covered, and the warranty booklet excludes "light bulbs" after 6k or 6 months. It depends on interpretation of light bulb I suppose.

I'll call Skoda CS in the morning

10 months would not be considered fit for purpose, ensure you get this done under warranty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk the free non retired version!

• Like 2

Also depends on the mode of failure - is there any water ingress into the unit causing the LED bulb to short?

My headlamp unit was replaced at 9 months old due to water ingress - water droplets (not just a fine mist) and water pooling in the bottom of the unit.

Yours is a vRS so it has 2 LEDs to illuminate the light bar in the headlight, they are not replaceable. You also have an LED driver (like a (HID ballast) which powers the LED's - it's screwed to the underside of the headlight. This may be the failure and not the LEDs themselves. This will be covered under warranty

I think you should explain to her that there are no light bulbs in an LED light.

LEDs are solid state devices generally made from silicon and germanium.

Therefore as they have not excluded solid state devices from the warranty you will look forwards to it being fixed at the earliest convenience as per your rights under the sale of goods act 1974.

Hope that helps.

• 4 months later...

Just had my warning pop up on my dash. Check right drl. It flashes on for about a second before going off. Car's booked in for a service on friday, so hopefully they can sort it. Besides having them check it and trying to pry wads of cash from my hands, is there anything i can check that might sort it?

Edited by Made_in_RSA

I think you should explain to her that there are no light bulbs in an LED light.

LEDs are solid state devices generally made from silicon and germanium.

Therefore as they have not excluded solid state devices from the warranty you will look forwards to it being fixed at the earliest convenience as per your rights under the sale of goods act 1974.

Hope that helps.

Good one MrC. Be interesting to see if the consumer protection people ever latch on to this one.

• 1 year later...

I wonder how many of these DRLs have failed and been replaced under warranty?

My VRS has the RH DRL fault warning and its now inoperative, so hoping warranty covers this. My headlight was very misty when it first failed and the wiring inside the headlight appeared very moist when I first inspected it.

When the headlight eventually dried out inside, the DRL worked intermittently for a bit, but now totally inoperative.

Got it booked in with the dealer next week, but I am expecting bother, from my phone conversation with them.

Be really useful to hear of other members experience with these things, before the car's trip to the dealer.

Headlight condensation and subsequent DRL failure on the vRS has been a relatively common complaint on here since the MkIII launched.

Skoda will roll out the usual "we've never seen this issue before sir" but trust me they are well aware.

It is also a valid warranty claim too so don't accept any knock-backs from either the dealer or Skoda customer services. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'm having the same issue with my approved used 64 VRS estate on the nearside DRL now not working after a few days of intermittent use. I booked into my Skoda dealer where I purchased the car from and paid for a Skoda extended warranty, who have looked at it and said the module and headlight cluster need replacing at a cost (mega bucks I assume)?

They also picked up the warranty issue  with Skoda head office they have now told me its not covered under warranty but they may be able to help out as a gesture of goodwill !!! not sure what this means but obviously want some moola from me...Im not happy at all.... I had a DRL donut LED replaced free of charge on my approved used BMW a few years ago they had no quibble with replacing it....funny how major dealers resolve these issues...

what stance do I now take regarding getting this fixed as it looks odd with only one light running... I will deactivate DRL in the meantime but obviously long term would like this resolved by Skoda.. 

5 minutes ago, Gadget_Dave said:

I'm having the same issue with my approved used 64 VRS estate on the nearside DRL now not working after a few days of intermittent use. I booked into my Skoda dealer where I purchased the car from and paid for a Skoda extended warranty, who have looked at it and said the module and headlight cluster need replacing at a cost (mega bucks I assume)?

They also picked up the warranty issue  with Skoda head office they have now told me its not covered under warranty but they may be able to help out as a gesture of goodwill !!! not sure what this means but obviously want some moola from me...Im not happy at all.... I had a DRL donut LED replaced free of charge on my approved used BMW a few years ago they had no quibble with replacing it....funny how major dealers resolve these issues...

what stance do I now take regarding getting this fixed as it looks odd with only one light running... I will deactivate DRL in the meantime but obviously long term would like this resolved by Skoda.. 

IMG_3737.JPG

IMG_3738.JPG