A game changer for the UK climate ?

sharkrider

"all season" tyres will be going on swmbo's new car when she gets it, to save changing round, sadly we need either 205/40/17 or 215/40/17 ... the CC dont come in that size at the moment :( we will be fitting maxxis AP2's ...

• 4 weeks later...

I have had the Crossclimate tyres fitted to my Roomster since later May. I have to say they are excellent in both the dry and the wet. They are both quiet and very stable.

My car is the Roomster 3, I did not like the ride of the 16 wheels on the bumpy roads of North Hampshire and Surrey, and so have put on 15 wheels.

From the evidence show by Michelin, they should be good enough for the winter conditions in Great Britan.

I would highly recommend these tyres!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Hughp good to hear..I`ve got a Roomster on 15inch wheels and thinking of changing to the Michelin CC...good to hear they particularly suit the Roomie

• Like 1

The cross climates seem fine on my Octavia as well.

Slight vibration from the front at about 70-75 despite been balanced twice and the tracking being checked but I suspect this might be linked to the more aggressive tread and road surface.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in a bit of a dilemma regarding these. My current winter tyres are past it (and the steel wheels aren't quite right for an Oct 111)  and would like to try the cross climates.  As I have only done 16k  the current tyres are hardly showing any wear it seems a shame to change them but I don't think it worth getting these tyres on  new steelies and swapping over.  I could keep the current tyres  and try to sell them but I'm not sure of the wisdom in selling part worn tyres  .  Cheapest I've found so far is ATS £307 (for 4) with a free jacket (for you not the tyres)

• 4 weeks later...

(Graph updated 10 June 2016) My Yeti was supplied on Continental ContiPremiumContact2 tyres and around 1,000 miles ago I changed them for the Michelin Cross Climate tyres - living on the South Coast full winter tyres would be a bit excessive but these were getting good reviews so seemed worth a try. They are 215/60/16 (I opted to have my Elegance built with 16" rather than 17" wheels).

I'm not one to drive at the limits of a tyre (just to see what happens) so my experience is based on ordinary, day-to-day driving. Initial impressions have been very good. Not unexpectedly handling in the dry doesn't feel any different than the Contis. In my opinion in the wet they are noticeably better - driving with two wheels on the crown of the road and two wheels in standing water a couple of inches deep I'm feeling no pull towards the kerb. So in the dry and wet I'm very pleased; it could be some time before I get to try them on snow living just outside Portsmouth.

Some things are to a degree subjective but I believe they really are noticeably quieter than the Contis, so another tick in the box.

I always fill "brim to brim" and keep records of mpg for each fill. I've only had to fill up twice since having the new tyres fitted so it is early days but it seems that they really are more efficient returning a better mpg than the Contis for the same sorts of journeys. The first hint of this was that the Maxidot was indicating a consistently higher figure than I'd been getting for local journeys that I do regularly but we all know the Maxidot display is helpful but not definitive. So I've looked at this in more detail and used my records to plot for each "brim to brim" fill the actual mpg but also the miles/day, thinking that less miles/day in any period means a higher percentage of running with the engine below its optimum temperature and therefore probably lower mpg. I also separated out summer and winter driving, for obvious reasons, and excluded fills when I'd made unusually long trips such as holidays.

It's too early to draw firm conclusions but you can see from the graph that for both fills the average mpg I've achieved is higher than I was getting on the Contis for similar use (in terms of miles/day). I'll be carrying on monitoring this each time I fill up but so far it seems the tyres have good dry and wet road holding, are quiet and are fuel efficient. If they are adequate in the snow and have a reasonable service life for me Michelin have got a winner.

Update 10 June 2016. After several months use my average mpg "brim-to-brim" fills confirms these really are noticeably better for fuel consumption, around 2 mpg or about 5%. Other than that they do seem more prone to pick up and hold small stones, probably due to the tread pattern and shape, I've nothing negative to say about them. (The graph shows no figures for "winter" use on the Cross Climate tyres because although we had November - February the daytime temperatures on the South Coast generally were well above freezing and often often close to or in double figures so to differentiate between summer and winter use wouldn't be meaningful).

post-101775-0-49738200-1465550774_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul52
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The cross climates seem fine on my Octavia as well.

Slight vibration from the front at about 70-75 despite been balanced twice and the tracking being checked but I suspect this might be linked to the more aggressive tread and road surface.

Have they tried spinning the tyre on the Wheel 180 degrees? Sometimes the tyres don't sit right and slightly bumpy and spinning tyres 180 degrees on the rim sorts it... If not swap front to rear :-D

Also I got a feeling the tyres will be noisey once when they start to wear. It's why they moved from directional to asymmetrical

Edited by themond