Spare wheel for Fabia III

Does anyone know the dimensions of the spare wheel well in the boot and the temporary spare wheel for the Fabia III? The temporary wheel is available as an optional extra and must obviously fit in the spare wheel well, but I want to find out if the standard wheel, which is 185/60R15 on a 6Jx15 rim, will fit there as I'd rather have a standard one than a temporary one.

Welcome to the forum.

You certainly expect the Full size wheel to fit in,

because if you have a puncture or need to change the spare, the wheel of the car needs to go in the Spare Wheel Well.

The Mk2 Spare Wheel Well take a Alloy and Tyre of 205/40 R17 (Even 215/40 R 17)

A wider Rim & Tyre than the 185/55 R 15 Spare that is in there the rest of the time, but the Floor closes OK.

I have not checked a MK3, but owners of them might be able to confirm that the wheel well is at least the same size as a MK2.

The All new Fabia comes with 215 wide tyres on some models.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

Edited by goneoffSKi

The Rapid/Spaceback and Fabia III use the same rim and tyre sizes, they differ slightly to the Fabia II.

Standard spare is a 185/60 R15 84H on a 6Jx15 ET38 rim (what I've got factory fitted in the boot of our Spaceback).

Fabia II uses a 195/55 R15 85H on a 6Jx15 ET43 rim.

The 195/55 R15 85H tyre can also be officially used on the Rapid and Fabia III (on the ET38 rim) but Skoda UK went with the 185 for improved emissions, although for handling the 195 is the better tyre.

Oh forgot to add the ET38 rim was approved for the Fabia II but only for Type Approval numbers ending between *14 and *21 and with the 195 tyres.

Later the Greenline used the 185/60 tyres on ET43 rims.

TP

Thanks for that TP. Skoda lists two spare wheels in their catalogue: a "temporary space saver steel spare wheel" and "temporary steel spare wheel". Is what you refer to as "standard spare" the "temporary steel spare wheel"? if so why is it "temporary" (limited to 50mph) as it seems identical to the ones on the car?

BTW I was thinking of buying a road wheel from Skoda and getting a tyre fitted for the spare (as there is no non-temporary spare listed as an option). I called up a parts dept of a dealer and they said there were two 6Jx15s with different offsets for the Fabia and I didn't know which one would be the right one for the car. So your info on the ET numbers is very useful. Thank you.

Yes, goneoffSKi, my question is on the Spare Well size. If someone can confirm the Fabia S can take the standard 6Jx15 185/60xR15 wheel in the spare well I am sorted.

I mentioned the specific model because I wonder if different models may have variations in the Spare Well size too.

I went to a dealer who had a Fabia S and, as it happened, a spare in the boot. The spare was the same as the road wheels, 185/60 R15 on a 6jx15 rim, and fits in the spare wheel well. Interestingly it didn't have the temporary wheel labeling with the 50 mph speed limit etc. Just thought I'll report back in case anyone else is wondering about this.

Also, I am told that buying the wheel as an optional extra (£85) as a factory fitted option will include the tool kit (jack, wrench etc).

• 2 weeks later...

Have ordered a spare wheel with steel rim for my new SEL From what I remember the salesman told me there were 2 options a 50 mph and a standard tyre with steel rim @ £85. Hope I have understood that correctly. My fabia estate 2005 1.9 elegance has a standard tyre whith steel rim and no speed limit sticker. Would imagine to buy a rim and tyre would be best part of twice the factory fit. Joe

I was told the rim is about £40 from Skoda spares dept and I expect a tyre would be at least £50-£60. Then there's the jack, wheel nut wrench, trim removing tool and a screwdriver that come as a toolkit so it will add up to more than the factory supplied spare. Skoda supply a "Spare Wheel Kit" comprising of the standard wheel and the toolkit for £165. So you've done the right thing ordering the spare as a factory option, Joe.

• Like 1

I saw this confusing choice today as well, why would anyone order a "spacesaver" & speed limited spare wheel  if for exactly the same £85.00 one can get a full sized spare?

And scratchs head.

For me a "no-brainer" to pick the full sized steel spare.

M

Edited by dieseldogg

I haven't had mine out to check but there's every chance that the full sized spare wheel is also speed limited. It's different to the alloys after all.

• Like 1

Havent had a flat since back in the mid-80s, knock on wood, so I consider a spare very dispensable.

That also goes for the motorcycle, on which I dont carry anything but a repair set anyway. :)

Hi pfaff

Lucky you

I have had 2 punctures in the last year and would never drive a car without having a spare wheel. 

I am not a high millage driver and normally drive less than 12000 each year

I personally would like to see a return to a full sized spare and not the space savers which seem to be the norm these days.

One comment on the assumption that car makers would always make sure that the spare wheel well was big enough to fit a damaged/punctured normal wheel into - a few years ago, an English visitor on holiday in Scotland, damaged one of the wheels on his BMW Z3, he fitted the spare but due to the size of the removed wheel had to store it in the car, unfortunately in beside the passenger, even more unfortunately, that tyre "gave way" and the passenger who was holding it was killed - not very nice!

• Like 1

My memory is that it was said that there was a bulge on the tyre, so they fitted the Space Saver, and then did not deflate the full 

size Tyre before putting it in the car.

So a Inflated tyre exploded with the horrific result.

The car had a Tyre Well for a Space Saver, but not a Inflated Full Size Wheel,

& the car was full of luggage.

Read the post #2.

it is not on the assumption about other cars makers but on the Fabia which comes with a Tyre that matches the 

Total Diameter of a Full Size wheel and is the same size as some models, and a Spare Wheel Well 

that takes the full size tyre / wheel.

BMW's are other Manufacturers cars may have different width of tyres front and rear,

and unless 2 sizes spares are carried, then likely you have a 50% chance of the wrong size in the car.

Same as with full size spares in cars with directional tyres,

you probably need to go have a Repair carried out, get a new tyre, or reduce speed and continue.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Yes, it is usually the "height" of the normal road wheel that causes problems, seem to remember a friend having issues keeping a full sized spare in his Renault CC, ie getting hold of a padded/raised boot mat/carpet that did the job and looked the part.

When I got my Audi S4 B8 I had a look in the boot to see what needing changing to swop the space saver for a full sized wheel, but quickly discovered that the problem was that the battery lived in the boot, so that buggered that idea!

One maybe handy thing about wife's next car, Polo 1.2TSI SEL is, while it will have 16" road wheels, the full sized spare will be 185/60 X 15, so getting 15" winter tyres this time will mean just buying 4-off instead of needing to buy 5-off for her last Polo - though that proved handy last week when a large screw trashed one of her winter tyres!

Edited by rum4mo

• 3 months later...

I know the bolt pattern is the same for Mk2 & Mk2, but is the offset much different? Looking to take the steel spare from my Mk2 and stick it in the boot of the Mk3 I'm looking at... as long as the offset is compatible. Thanks

• 2 years later...
On 06/08/2015 at 20:50, 2014FabiaSE said:

I know the bolt pattern is the same for Mk2 & Mk2, but is the offset much different? Looking to take the steel spare from my Mk2 and stick it in the boot of the Mk3 I'm looking at... as long as the offset is compatible. Thanks

I was just about to ask this same question. I know the MK3 is offset ET38 and the MK2 is ET43 but would the MK2 wheel fit on to a MK3 as a temporary measure? Has anyone actually done this? I am also considering just 'borrowing' the spare from my MK2 for my MK3. 

The offset depends on the rim size. On my Mk3, 15" rims are allowed with both offset 38 and 43, for 195/55 dimension, and only 38 for 185/60 dimension. 

16" and 17" come with 46 offset for 215 tire width (7" rim width). 

And 14" rims have 35 offset (165 or 175 width). 

If you are looking at 15" wheels, then both 38 and 43 offset could apply, at least as a spare wheel, to get you rolling to the nearest shop or to get over that hill if you have a flat one in snow, where the small "wheelbarrow" spare just aint gonna be useful much or at all. 

Generally its always best to have all four wheels of the same spec, so the car handling and stability is not compromised. And your insurance company will have a blast, if they see different wheel specs on the car in case the worst would happen and you would happen to have an accident or slide off the road and damage the car. They love to focus on the smallest details to blame everything on you and your car, so they dont have to pay as much, and wheels/tires are their perfect target to put the blame on, especially if you happen to have different specs on. Atleast in my country (Slovenia).

But, if I were in your situation, if the wheel fits (5x100 bolts and 57,1mm hole), which it should, the offset isnt as important, since 38 and 43 is within OEM standard for 15" (6Jx15) rims. So, at least for the spare wheel which you will use only for brief time anyway, and in reality you might not even feel the difference when driving for that brief period. Just make sure you arrive safely to your destination. :)

Edited by Recretos

On 16/04/2015 at 17:17, Prog said:

I haven't had mine out to check but there's every chance that the full sized spare wheel is also speed limited. It's different to the alloys after all.

No, there is no speed restriction on the full size steel spare wheel. The fact it's a steel wheel makes no difference to the rated speed or load ability. Just doesn't look as nice as the alloys. It's only the space saver spare that's restricted for speed.

But common sense should limit / reduce your speed when a spare wheel is fitted and an odd one out compared to the 3 others on the car, 

or the other one on the same axle. Or at least consider what it is you are fitting.

A slightly different weight might not matter much, or the slightly different size / width, but it has an affect, 

but even an identical New Tyre can matter, Brand New, no wear, still 'Green', release agent, or just the pressure over inflated as some spare wheels are, 

or under inflated if never checked.  Or the car might have directional tyres and the spare Uni-Directional, or suits fitting correctly to one side of the vehicle than the other side if the spare has a directional tyre fitted.

• Like 1

My car has a full size steel wheel with a 185/60 x 15 Nexen tyre fitted. The wheel has a yellow sticker on it indicating a speed restriction.

Edited by Damo
Only Freedom members can advertise

Many thanks Recretos that's very helpful. I will go ahead and pop my MK2 wheel in the boot of my mk3, it's a 195 55 15 tyre on it anyway. It's a better option than a space saver and definitely better than the tyre sealant/ pump that the car came with.