Look! Safe to move?

Last week after setting off on my journey the Amundsen display was not it's normal self.  

It was completely black except for the message "Look! Safe to move?" in the bottom left corner.

This is normally the parking sensor warning you see when reverse is selected (I was moving forward).

Neither the touch screen or any of the surrounding buttons had any effect.  It was like this for my five mile journey.

I tired tuning it off (the car) and on again and it was still 'stuck'.

At the end of the day I returned to the car and started it, and thankfully all was as normal.

I'm glad it fixed itself and trust it does not do it again.

I had exactly the same with my Bolero about 6 months ago.

Like you it sorted itself out and the problem hasn't repeated itself since. :)

I've had the same problem, four times in total. Everything sound-wise works except the screen (I took a video on my phone to prove it). I'm having my 30,000 service tomorrow and told the dealer about this problem. They said that it could require a software update, but if not they,ll change the unit. It sounded to me as if they've experienced this problem before. I'll keep you posted.

I later discovered I assume a related issue in that it lost the long term mileage data by resetting it to zero.

What's even odder is that it kept the 'Since Refuelling" mileage OK, so it was larger!

Not done it again, so fingers crossed.

This issue has been mentioned before. U found it's if I do something that confuses the system, like trying to pull away when auto in N etc. It gets its nickers in a Knott, so to speak. After switching off and removing the key, press lock/ unlock without getting out. Sorts it for me.

I later discovered I assume a related issue in that it lost the long term mileage data by resetting it to zero.

What's even odder is that it kept the 'Since Refuelling" mileage OK, so it was larger!

Not done it again, so fingers crossed.

The long term figures will reset every 9,999 miles or 99 hrs 59 minutes of driving, whichever comes first.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

So happened today for the third time.  First time was at 3220 miles then second time at 6900, on both occasions long time mileage (only) was reset.  Today (day 157 from new) 8060 miles on the odometer it happened again.  From start up, display stuck on "Look! Safe to Move?".  After a few miles and getting bored as no radio so tried tuning off engine, locked, waited then unlocked, but exactly the same when I restarted.

Selected reverse and parking sensors came on and display changed as normal.  Popped out of reverse and all was well again and long term trip not reset.  So perhaps the cure is to drive to work backwards!

Its definitely a 'funny', but not one serious enough to make me visit the dealer early, before its first service.

V occasionally my Amundsen infotainment will muck around. Its once seemingly been fully operational apart from the screen being completely blank....even beeped when pressed. Ignition off and on again cured it.

I have had to perform the reset function on it once or twice too as when charging my smartphone up on the USB, doesnt seem to like my phone (attempts to connect as USB mass storage) and locks up. I dont use the USB anymore haha

Also fairly frequenty my DAB radio doesnt fire up on ignition on and I have to switch it to FM or AM and back again to get it to come on. That Ive just gotten used to doing.

I have the equivalent of Bolero in my Mk7 GTD and as yet its not mucked about at all.....but the car is Nov 14 where as my Octavia is Feb 14 so no doubt running newer and VW specific firmware.

At the end of the day the unit is running a linux based OS (I think its Blackberry QNX) so it will occasionally suffer the odd issue here and there.

At the end of the day the unit is running a linux based OS (I think its Blackberry QNX) so it will occasionally suffer the odd issue here and there.

How does that follow? It does appear to be based on QNX, which was designed from the start for embedded use, and should be one of the better systems for basing something like a car on. It's not based on Linux and has a longer history, but either would be better than anything from, say, Microsoft for embedded use.

How does that follow? It does appear to be based on QNX, which was designed from the start for embedded use, and should be one of the better systems for basing something like a car on. It's not based on Linux and has a longer history, but either would be better than anything from, say, Microsoft for embedded use.

Ok its Unix-like and not Linux-based...but most of these very lightweight OS's follow a similar programming convention.

QNX itself is v robust and long standing in in-vehicle computing/telematics but it doesnt make it infaliable.

VAG's developers use it as a basis but perhaps some of their own proprietary coding has introduced some "quirks".

I know BMW's iDrive in the early days was Windows Embedded based; not sure what they use now though.....

Edited by pipsypreturns

I have had to perform the reset function on it once or twice too as when charging my smartphone up on the USB, doesnt seem to like my phone (attempts to connect as USB mass storage) and locks up. I dont use the USB anymore haha

I've got round this by using a 'power only' USB cable such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Power-Charging-Cable-Extension/dp/B005HRSI3C

• 2 months later...

Have exactly the same problem with my 2014 octavia estate, it started first with the drivers side parking sensor staying on for three days which seemed to resolve itself, then i got a lane drift warning which should not have come on, then the problem mentioned above which remained for the 150 mile journey. Next day everything was normal.

i phoned the dealership who advised me to take a video of the problem because if they could not find a fault Skoda UK wouldn't pay for the work under warranty. Since I don't have the means of taking a video I thank you for raising the topic, it's what I was looking for on the site.

As an owner of a 2006 Fabia my honest opinion on the new vehicles is I could do without half of the clever electronics there's more that can and will go wrong.

I have had the "Look! Safe to move?"-issue several times on my 2014 Octavia Estate, Bolero unit.

Recorded the issue and asked Skoda to have a look. The first exchanged the Bolero unit - didn't help. This summer I was called in to update software in the Bolero - didn't help. I've sort of given up on this, might raise the issue again before warranty runs out.

To fix the issue when it happens - just press and hold power button for about 10 seconds and it will reset itself and problem is gone.

This has pop up a few times on mine, both times it's made me think "what the hell?" Screen is fine afterwards and not sure why it's popped up.

Both times have been whilst pulling out of a junction.

• 1 month later...

As for the trip resetting as post #6 states its every 10000 miles or 99 hrs 59mins, which I already knew but had discounted because I hadn't done 10k miles.

Doh... I had done 100 hours though, four times so far and seen the reset every time!

Not really sure why it decides at those limits as they are clearly not a software overflow problem but purely some arbitrary nice 'round number' that some VW software engineer has decided it would be a good point to reset the trip at.

Those VW SE engineers have done naughtier things I guess, but I think I would rather the 'Long term' was the life or the car, or may be reset at the service interval.

Anyway that part of the 'mistery' is solved, its designed that way, and was I'm assuming pure co-incidence the first time it happened.

• 2 years later...

I have just experienced this very same issue, the screen got stuck after being in reverse. After driving a bit, then putting it in reverse then 1st and rolling forward it worked ok again. I got a photo of it but no video. Has anyone had a resolution for this problem, my 3yr warranty runs out in 5 days time!

IMG_20171130_201939.jpg

Ive had this once in 20 months. These head units are prone to such things. Im sure weve all had the blank screens and locked up album choice etc? My Leon was the same, would black screen me al the time especially when it was cold for some reason. Hilariously the sat nav would revert back to wolfsburgs main ring road at the least convenient time. A software update nor unit change will make any difference in my experience sadly.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Is it possible somehow to disable this message? I can't see the bumper in my rear camera, because this message covers it. 😞

Edited by Guest