Citigo rear suspension creak

Ollie 2013

Hi guys,

I haven't found any posts about this so thought I'd start one to see if anyone else has this issue. Basically, I get a creaking/wobbling sound from the right rear side of the car when driving over certain bumps etc. It did it when I slowly reversed up a slight incline today too as I stopped. 

Just wondered if anyone else has heard any such sounds from the rear of their citigo? I'm sure it's suspension. 

Thanks guys 

• Like 1

"It's just a characteristic" springs to mind :p 

I'd check the plastic piece you see at the top of this photo (has a lip to it hanging down) and make sure they're securely fitted, give them a good push to check there in place

DSC_0201_zpsjzoebdba.jpg

Specifically this bit here

DSC_0205_zpsqp0gh3qo.jpg

Otherwise just maybe attack it with a hose and see if there's any grub trapped in there

• Like 1

^ as above. One of the many characteristics of the car. It's nothing to worry about. And almost certainly isn't your suspension; its your rear trim.

Mine has done it from new, I've gradually got used to it!

Thanks guys. I've checked as much of the rear trim as I can. It is all VERY well secured and there's certainly nothing that's loose. May I ask why everyone is so certain it isn't the suspension? I'm almost certain myself that the noise is coming externally. It may not be the suspension, but I'm quite sure it's coming from outside rather than in. I'm gonna get a friend to stand outside the car as I reverse and see if he can hear it. I'll post back soon. 

You stuffed thin foam into that part specifically? Mine is really well secured. I couldn't remove it without ripping my nails out lol. If I wanted to get it off - I'd have to use a tool. It's that well secured. 

Mine took ages to locate, tracked down after much investigation to the rear passenger side seat catch not being lubed enough and not fully closing allowing the loose metal catch to creak over certain bumps, drove me nuts! Was convinced prior to this it was coming from outside, suspension.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I now have a result! Firstly, I want to thank everyone for trying to help with the problem. It was very appreciated :-)

However, it WAS the suspension that was the issue. Took it to the garage and they said that they had a Citigo in a few weeks ago with the same noise coming from the same location! (driver's rear). So it seems I'm not alone with this. 

I'm fairly sure they said it had something to do with the top of the suspension and the word bushes was mentioned too I think. Just thought I'd share this with you since I'm obviously not the only one to have the issue. 

I'm booking the car in next week to have it repaired :-)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi citigo owners

Lean on roof at rear anyside & rock to produce creak, dealer has lubricated suspension but still creaking can hear over bumps etc returning to dealer again who states nothing wrong, but I insist must be a fault so its going back & have been invited under ramp this time please let me have your comments & watch this space !!

Citigo elegance 75 greentech owner

Hi citigo owners

Lean on roof at rear anyside & rock to produce creak, dealer has lubricated suspension but still creaking can hear over bumps etc returning to dealer again who states nothing wrong, but I insist must be a fault so its going back & have been invited under ramp this time please let me have your comments & watch this space !!

Citigo elegance 75 greentech owner

Well my Skoda dealer replaced the bushes on both shocks (they were bit loose) and I've not heard a noise since! :-)

glad its sorted! had a creak and knock from rear on my 75 greentech elegance, had both rear shocks and passenger top mount replaced under warranty... they also adjusted the handbrake....which now rattles all the time!  :devil: as well as the passenger door card

Hi citigoes

Visited my dealer today they were very professional & helpful creaking not suspension but located to rear brake drums they are dismantling & servicing shortly

Colbret north devon

I had annoying knocking noises from the rear of the car, eventually took it into the dealer who diagnosed failure of the suspension - replaced both rear shocks and top mounts under warranty.

• 1 year later...

Mine is booked in for three days at the end of the month. Tech showed me a document, that included welding and endoscopes and prising to sort. document from Skoda covering OSR creaking noise and how to sort. Fingers crossed it sorts as its doing my head in.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I've checked as much of the rear trim as I can. It is all VERY well secured and there's certainly nothing that's loose. May I ask why everyone is so certain it isn't the suspension? I'm almost certain myself that the noise is coming externally. It may not be the suspension, but I'm quite sure it's coming from outside rather than in. I'm gonna get a friend to stand outside the car as I reverse and see if he can hear it. I'll post back soon. 

Have you got parking sensors?

Recently got rid of my Citigo but this issue was a huge negative for me and was worse when carrying a passenger. It was always remarked on by passengers and detracted from a nice car. Had my dealer check it out when it was in for its second service but it came back the same. Had the issue for the whole time I had the car - 26,000 miles. 

I also suffered from this creaking but thankfully it has finally been fixed!

Mine was also worse carrying a passenger or luggage and in hot weather.

I had to visit the dealer in Winchester 5 times before it was sorted

Once for the 30k service when it was returned as NFF

Twice to demonstrate to a technician

Third to have Top mounts replaced, one was broken

Fourth to have shock abs replaced

Fifth to have suspension bushes replaced, they were vague about which ones

This last visit was 3 weeks ago so my dealer should be up to speed on what to do if you were in o contact them

Hope this helps.

Nil Desperandum

I've had this problem and reported it with a weeks warranty left.Firstly main dealer replaced rear shocks which didn't solve the problem so they then rang Skoda who suggested they look at the bolts holding the body work.I went to pick it up and test drove it with a technician and no noise,that was 2 days ago.Today after having 2 rear passengers it's started doing it again but will they charge me as it's now out of warranty?