Leaving the Yeti fold

MarieK

My priority is a functioning, durable quality product that meets MY needs and I don't give a stuff what others think about my choice.

If you are a fashion statement type you're not likely to be driving a Yeti - or a Renegade for that matter.

• Like 1

One week of ownership of the Renegade and I've had the chance to make some further comparisons with the Yeti.

1. The footprint of the boot is just a tiny bit smaller than the Yeti, maybe an inch in width and depth. My dog cage still fits as I thought it would so I'm happy.

2. The back seats don't fold completely flat (I think the Juke was similar) so this is a disadvantage over the Yeti. They don't have the versatility of the Yeti back seats (movement/fold/remove etc). This isn't a particularly big deal to me but may be to other folk.

3. I have the visibility pack and experienced the smart beam auto dimming headlight function last night. Very impressed with the timing and accuracy. It means if I put full beam on at night I can let the car control the dipping when another car appears.

4. Turning circle is wider than the Yeti, needs about an extra metre.

5. I miss some of the Yeti features like hooks in the boot to keep shopping bags in place, the wee clip on windscreen for parking ticket. Oh and the compartment above the rear view mirror where I could keep my driving glasses. There's also less space/depth in the doors for bottles etc.

6. On the plus side, the roof rails on the Renegade aren't going to lose the ends off them in a strong breeze! They're rock solid. The whole car feels solidly built and well put together in fact. Like a chunky Yeti   :thumbup:

Hope this helps anyone who is interested/curious about the differences.

As time goes by and the novelty of owning a brand new new car wears off,I have no doubt you will have second thoughts whether selling your Yeti was the right thing to do.

Edited by oriki

One week of ownership of the Renegade and I've had the chance to make some further comparisons with the Yeti.

1. The footprint of the boot is just a tiny bit smaller than the Yeti, maybe an inch in width and depth. My dog cage still fits as I thought it would so I'm happy.

2. The back seats don't fold completely flat (I think the Juke was similar) so this is a disadvantage over the Yeti. They don't have the versatility of the Yeti back seats (movement/fold/remove etc). This isn't a particularly big deal to me but may be to other folk.

3. I have the visibility pack and experienced the smart beam auto dimming headlight function last night. Very impressed with the timing and accuracy. It means if I put full beam on at night I can let the car control the dipping when another car appears.

4. Turning circle is wider than the Yeti, needs about an extra metre.

5. I miss some of the Yeti features like hooks in the boot to keep shopping bags in place, the wee clip on windscreen for parking ticket. Oh and the compartment above the rear view mirror where I could keep my driving glasses. There's also less space/depth in the doors for bottles etc.

6. On the plus side, the roof rails on the Renegade aren't going to lose the ends off them in a strong breeze! They're rock solid. The whole car feels solidly built and well put together in fact. Like a chunky Yeti   :thumbup:

Hope this helps anyone who is interested/curious about the differences.

MarieK, thanks for all the pictures and posts on your new car, most helpful, I got my Yeti not longer after yourself, but not looking to change yet. However don't think the Jeep will be for me, having just done the tip run this last weekend the versatility of the back seats is a big must for me and being able to remove them completely is great.

• Like 1

I don't think Marie's had much stick, I've said she's chosen an ugly car but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I've had not a single remark about leaving the yeti fold, but then I've chosen a good looking car as a replacement :p

octavia_600e-620x414.jpg

It's a shame you chose that ugly blue.

But then, like you said: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's a shame you chose that ugly blue.

But then, like you said: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, I've fancied race blue ever since it was introduced in the late 1990s but back then it was vRS only. The steel grey of the yeti has been great at hiding the dirt and the new metallic grey colour was very very tempting but having spent 15 years wishing I could have the blue it had to be done. 

Besides if I have an outburst of patriotism all I need is some white tape and I can transform it into a mobile flag 6358226475_e64214f1c3_b.jpg

• Like 1

Ha I thought the Yeti was ugly at first, what car webpage kept suggesting it as my next car and I ignored it. Then I decided to have a proper look and completely changed my opinion. I used to like the Juke shape but not anymore.

Funny how our taste changes over time.

I came to the Yeti from a Roomster and  I liked the look of that! I almost cringe now when I look at one.

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder but nowhere does it say that it's forever. :giggle:

Fred 

• Like 3

The one major point that has been overlooked here is (and this is a simple one) Mariek works to earn her money and she can spend it as she likes, we should all wish her well with her choice of car purchased, and I for one still like to see posts from the good lady on here :thumbup: .  

agreed, and wouldn't life be boring if we all had identical taste?

I'm sure Marie knows that most of us were just engaging in banter

• Like 4

I don't think Marie's had much stick, I've said she's chosen an ugly car but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

I've had not a single remark about leaving the yeti fold, but then I've chosen a good looking car as a replacement  :p

octavia_600e-620x414.jpg

I could say not my cup of tea, and which model is it as all skoda's look the same now they all have that corporate grill and styling :P :P

but seriously that was one of the issues that cause me to look elsewhere, skoda have lost the individual characters of each model,

go back to the last model before the current round of facelift's and upgrades fabia was distinctive font, as was the yeti, cirigo was new, there was a bit of similarity between the Octavia and superb

enter the rapid, then everything started to look the same and skoda UK started dropping the specs and upping the prices of new models (my take on it anyway), if you look back over the various posts in these forums, the citigo was the last new model to get a good reception to a facelift / new, the rapid had a poor reception over spec for the price, the new fabia is coming in for stick over mirror link and prices, I have not looked at the mkIII octy or new superb forums

the above is my take on where I personally think skoda went wrong

everyone will have their own opinion

Out here Tigs are close to Yeti prices and I'm wondering if the new Yeti will not appear ......sales have crashed again apparently.

Skoda's raison d'etra was affordability but VW prices keep coming down so what are Skoda going to do?

The corporate face thing began back in 1997 when the octavia arrived and the felicia was given the same look. Your complaint seems nearly 20 years too late.

As for dropping specs the octavia has just been topped up in spec with access, Park assist and sat nav now standard on the SEL model. Price increase was less than the cost of the individual price of the upgrades

But there is a need to continue selling new cars or the marque dies cf all the old uk marques now out every sunday en tour!

And more toys act as bait!

VW cars apart from the Golf have been losing their way for years, when I had company car Passat's they were always classed as market leaders in that range of car. The Tiguan and Tourag are now looking dated as are the smaller cars in the range so there is no way they keep selling them at premium prices, and reductions and add ons were going to be a certainty.

Looking at the Yeti, as well the current dated engines and shape, if you want all the toys and extras that the competition have, you would be looking at an almost £30k car which is ridiculous value for money. The same applies to the Octavia which is why have I have not replaced my 56 plate L & K Octavia, it was great value when it was purchased, but now the price to replace with another L & K would be foolish.

Hand on, that 'dated' shape is one of the best features of the Yeti! And the current EU6 engine line up is perfectly respectable.

The issue I have with VAG is that there's not enough differentiation between the marques. I'd like to see the Yeti more boxy, cheaper and utilitarian (think 1st gen Berlingo), the Tiguan more up market (think Evoque) etc. Use the different brands to cover a broader market, rather than slog it out in the centre ground.

• Like 4

Out here the merging of Tig/Yeti prices makes no sense unless they intend to withdraw Yeti........I can't see the average punter choosing it rather than Tig. if they're comparable on price.

The one major point that has been overlooked here is (and this is a simple one) Mariek works to earn her money and she can spend it as she likes, we should all wish her well with her choice of car purchased, and I for one still like to see posts from the good lady on here :thumbup: .  

Seconded

• Like 1

It's probably me but I still don't understand why someone who says they didn't get on with the Jeep (albeit in the US) gets such a flaming. Aren't others allowed to post their findings and thoughts? Okay, so it may have different suspension settings or tyres but no one actually knows that for sure.

Once again, like the Vitara 'owners club' thread (and before that Fiat Sedici, BMW X1 etc, etc), I just don't get the reasoning behind continually championing other vehicles on a Skoda Yeti forum.

Fine, introduce to the masses new cars that may or may not be Yeti alternatives but commenting more than that really beats me. I reckon if I was interested in learning about a Jeep or Quashqai or whatever, I'd go Googling for the appropriate forum.

Nothing personal - just airing my viewpoint (if that's allowed...).

• Like 3

It is great to be able to read a ex owners opinion on their next car, and comparisons.

Many people only use 1 forum, and it is great that Briskoda can let people see opinions and experiences of not just Skodas or even only Yeti in the Yeti Section.

What is a bit odd is when someone talks about the ride or comfort of a car they tried, Hire Car, Demonstrator, Test Drive, 

or even a New Car.

But not make clear, what spec the car was, Tyre / Wheel size, and if they checked the Tyre Pressures and adjusted them to see if correct and safe or that they just drove a car as collected, which so often is with over inflated tyres, and obviously possibly underinflated,

or even 4 different pressures on 4 different corners.  eg post #76

This is not just something you see with Forum Members, Professional Motoring Journalists or just Journalists are also guilty of.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1