Lowest wear rate on a set of brakepads ever...........?

Hi all,

I realised the other day that I have just ticked past 69,500 miles in my vRS..........and have never had the front (or rear) brake pads changed.

Anyone else got stellar mileage out of a set of brake pads, or is this the norm for the vRS??

H

Replaced the front pads on our Superb at 77k still loads left probably could have got 100k

20140324_150035_zps95b91877.jpg

Last service report on my old MK2 at 69000 miles showed front pads 40% worn. These were the originals and my last five octavia combi's have never had pads fitted and all were traded in between 75000 - 85000 miles. 

Had my discs and original pads  voluntarily changed at 75000 miles. Discs surfaces looked a bit worn and no idea how much of the pads was left. But that is the best mileage I've ever had. My Passat needed discs around 50,000 and the same thereafter.

My old Yeti did a full three years and 135,000 miles on the original pads and discs at the front end, rears lasted to 75,000 when they were changed because the callipers were seized not because the pads were worn.

I'm at 153,000km (95,000 miles??).  Factory fit front pads have 8mm remaining, rears have 5mm.

OTOH, the disc rotors got a reasonable lip on them & I was getting pad knock-back so I got an angle grinder & ground the lips off (surprisingly effective).  They are still above minimum thickness though.

The weird thing is that i get tonnes of brake dust on my wheels.  I'm convinced that if i could collect all the brake dust & compress it back into a brake pad that I'd make about 3 sets.

I think brake wear is purely down to driving style & driving conditions rather than the quality of the OEM brake pads.  My commute allows me to drive 45km and I rarely have to touch the brakes plus I look a reasonable distance up the road and try & anticipate traffic flow.  I've followed cars along the motorway where their brake lights come on 40 times for every one brake application of mine - it must lead to accelerated wear.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I will find out next Thursday how much mine have left as it's going in for the fourth variable service.

Currently on 70,200 miles.

Big thumbs up for All Electric Kings Heath as well - they are giving me a Sat Nav upgrade to 7-digit postcode, etc. for free.   :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

I've just had the Yeti in for its second variable service and after 38.5K the front pads only show 15% wear and the rears 10%. Discs, at least on the side you can see, are still smooth and clean right across the full width.

My previous Mk 1 Octavia needed a new set of discs & pads after four years, after only 30K or so. The discs were corroded and had quite a lip to them.

I'm not sure if the fact that the Yeti has the bigger 312mm discs means it doesn't have to work as hard to slow down, or if the 4x4 drivetrain effectively adds more engine braking, but I'm happy whatever the reason!

60 miles a day motorway cruising for 7 years and around 120k on vrs pd 170.  discs pads checked before i sold the car and only 50% worn from the ones fitted in the factory! 

This year I have replaced front disc's and pads at 73k from originals, and at 76k the rears from originals.

Went OEM for front, and Pagid for rear. Lets see which last longest.

Rears will always last far longer than the front.

Mike

Generally yes, but Octavias have the rear brakes come on a fraction earlier than the front so that the nose dive is less abrupt (another simply clever feature).  If you tend to brake lightly in suburban conditions then the rears will wear quicker than the fronts or about the same.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just flew through the MOT last Saturday at 72,400 miles, but they advised only a few thousand left on the front pads and discs, so I had both replaced to save time.

Not bad really.

Rears still totally fine.  :)

I just had to replace my discs and pads after only 45k miles.

The pads were fine and the discs were still fine in terms of thickness.

The problem was that the bad of the discs were disintegrating and had worn a big groove through the pads. On the N/S the pad had worn through to the wiring connector inside and was squeaking.

The rears are fine.

Phil

I find with my dsg6 I'm using the brakes far less, as I would a regular auto. It engine brakes nicely and the right amount that I only have to lightly apply the brakes, if any.

I find with my dsg6 I'm using the brakes far less, as I would a regular auto. It engine brakes nicely and the right amount that I only have to lightly apply the brakes, if any.

Agreed. If you plan ahead and just let go of the throttle it engine brakes and changes down a just the right points to slow you down.

Someone posted a picture on the Brisky facebook page yesterday of MK2 Octavia brakes that had worn and rusted in the same way as mine.

Phil