Octavia VRS to Citigo MC - advice, thoughts?

Jimmydavies

Hi 

I drive a 2004 Octavia Vrs and am toying with the idea of changing it for a Citigo MC. However I do love my Octavia.

The Octavia is our second car and I use it to only commute 25 miles return each day and when you factor the cost of ownership, mpg, etc.etc. I wonder whether i might be better off with the Citigo.

I just wondered if any Citigo owners had any thoughts on this and whether you could say how you find the drive/handling of the Citigo, and real world mpg. I have a pretty easy commute down the A12 and then into local town.

Any help much appreciated.

thanks

Jim

I've done this exact move mate. Had a mapped 02 vrs and then bought a 190 a4 s line. Now ordered a Monte Carlo citigo, with fuel and tax saving I reckon the new car will cost me around £20 a month. Bonus is if anything goes wrong it's covered by warranty.

Best thing I can suggest is to take one for a test drive. They are nippy but will feel very slow compared to a vrs.

im sort of in the same boat, i have a tuned MK4 Golf GT TDI running about 170bhp and i pick my citigo monte carlo up on monday afternoon :) 

and pretty much what VRS Mike says is the same for me, low cost with a fun little hatch to throw about and get back to go kart style driving, i actually cannot wait, and if i do get annoyed with lack of power we also have a CR 170 Yeti so i can use that instead.

I do a mixed range of driving, mostly town but occasionally on the motorways, depending on how much you have in the car driving on motorways is a doddle, I rarely have to change down to 4th for an uphill or to overtake, if you drive sensible you can get well over 300 miles out of a full tank, as of right now I'm sitting at 52.1 avg and my last journey (not till empty as I had to drive more than 35 miles home so needed to fill up first) was if I recall rightly 330 or somewhere around that mark, it's also very nippy in the corners and can keep up with fast cars, you'll also find the unexpected being caught out at traffic lights because they don't expect the car to have a lot of oomph

thanks guys.

Racarouk would be really interested to hear how you get on next week. which colour did you go for?

Went for solid red buddy, same as my golf I have a red fetish :D

I'll whack a thread up when I've collected it and let you know initial thoughts, though if I were you I'd just get down to a dealers and test one out, I was grinning like an idiot after driving one :D

Yeah we have a separate family car, couldn't have a citigo as our main car lol. I've been driving my mums 1.0 micra for three weeks, it confirms to me that I am doing the right thing. I used to put £15 a week in the Audi. I've put £15 in three weeks in the Micra! The citigo should have more get up and go than the micra also. When I test drove the citigo, we had two adults up front and my two kids in the back, it was quite nippy, I managed to overtake a few cars off a roundabout on to a dual carriageway

£15/week, at £20 for 80 miles this week I've chucked £40 in the Volvo.  What's the best fuel for the Citigo?, is there any consensus? In the Volvo as its a 5 pot anything resembling petrol seemed to be ok, my last bike I had a plastic fuel tank that used to warp (apparently) if you used regular fuel (the ethanol in it allegedly), so I used super and to be fair it ran a lot better on it.

I traded a Fiesta Zetec s for my Seat Mii. I think the first thing I noticed was that is was a lot nippier than I originally thought it would be! Up to about 40mph it is pretty nifty.

However in terms of running costs, a fill up of £35 gets me to about 400 miles with some spirited driving. You cant complain about that I dont think. I have got my fuel costs down from £45 a week to £15 a week. Practical enough for me, I could probably have the three door version, even though mine has five doors.

My girlfriend just isn't too keen on long journeys down the motorway in it though, however I have never had a problem. Sitting at 75 with cruise control is good. 

And its a lot of fun!

• Like 2

So long as you know not to expect VRS performance, it is pretty good.

We had the 60PS version and it was nippy enough. The car handles well enough to allow you to drive pretty briskly and seemed to have enough power that it was only on extreme gradients that you needed to change down.

Only changed to the Fabia due to SWMBO wanting more boot space.

• 1 month later...

I have just done the same move from a 02 vrs as we picked up the Monte Carlo this morning as we didn't need it anymore as the children have there own.lol

Will miss the power as it's not exactly neck snapping acceleration

I have just done the same move from a 02 vrs as we picked up the Monte Carlo this morning as we didn't need it anymore as the children have there own.lol

Will miss the power as it's not exactly neck snapping acceleration

Ah but you see, you'll be faster round the corners ;)

Skoda Octavia mk2FL combi, now Citigo 60bhp.

I miss the space, the speed and overall refinement. But the citigo is very good for what it is, a city car!

Much more fun on track and twisty lane than the octavia, far more rewarding to make profess!

Better on fuel than my octavia, but I miss the lazyness and ease of driving from the octavia.

For me 85% of the time the citigo is a perfect car for everyday use, the odd 15% I wish I still had the Octavia. This is purely size related!

• Like 1