Drivers B Pillar Rattle - 7 month old MK III Elegance Estate

Has any one else had a light high frequency (metal I feel) rattle from the top 1/3 of the Driver B Pillar, most annoying as right by your ear.

Its been in twice but the dealer hears it but cant work out what the problem is.

Its there in warm and cold conditions and on all road surfaces

BUT it comes and goes at will, had it constant on a 4 hour drive, nearly drove me mad due to as being right by your ear there no ignoring it....

Any ideas appreciated as car with dealer as I write this.

Yep. I've got it on mine. The dealer attempted a fix with some felt inside the trim but it didn't work. I couldn't be bothered to put it in again and a stirring stick wedged in the gap has stopped it!

I thought I had a similar noise coming from passenger B pillar, but my wife swore it was from the driver's side. Again came and went for no apparent reason. Finally tracked it down to sunglasses rattling in the overhead cubby! All it now takes to get rid of the noise is to rearrange the sunglasses to a different position in the cubby.

Tried the sunglasses move check as the sliding the adjuster oh and as asked by the dealer pulling and locking the belt when the rattle happens, none worked

Friends have the same noise in either or both B Pillars in their New Gen Fabia as well as a 14 plate Rapid Hatchback

The only thing I can think of is the dealer has stated there are fine metal spring clips that hold the trim to the car

Yep. I've got it on mine. The dealer attempted a fix with some felt inside the trim but it didn't work. I couldn't be bothered to put it in again and a stirring stick wedged in the gap has stopped it!

Ditto 

Has any one else had a light high frequency (metal I feel) rattle from the top 1/3 of the Driver B Pillar, most annoying as right by your ear.

Its been in twice but the dealer hears it but cant work out what the problem is.

Its there in warm and cold conditions and on all road surfaces

BUT it comes and goes at will, had it constant on a 4 hour drive, nearly drove me mad due to as being right by your ear there no ignoring it....

Any ideas appreciated as car with dealer as I write this.

Ive got it my Scout as well, started in the drivers door and now in the passenger door.

I said to swmbo that I can’t be bothered with the aggravation of taking it back for it never to get sorted.

I think it's a bad design fault somewhere.

Update....
Dealer just rang, still no identification of the fault, therefoe no solution.

Called Skoda UK and they dont know what to do.

Have asked Skoda UK if they can ask Dealer Network in case a dealer has seen and solved this issue.

Hay Ho!

Sounds strangely familiar to a noise a fellow australian owner mentioned in a post on our local board.

To quote

"Mine has developed a weird rattle around 1700rpm which presents from the plastic seat belt adjuster on the drivers side. Dropped it off this morning for them to investigate – apparently it's a known issue and will be fixed today."

Following day

"Ok the weird rattling noise has been fixed – apparently a problem with the fuel lines."

No idea how fuel lines cause this but given the lack of progress in UK this may possibly be related. Worth a try in any case.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

As per a number of owners with this problem, I have given up.

Skoda UK stated they have asked their dealer network and none of the dealers have any record of owners bringing this issue to their attention and therefore no solution as to what it is and how to resolve it.

"Nice Car Shame about the Rattles"

As per a number of owners with this problem, I have given up.

Skoda UK stated they have asked their dealer network and none of the dealers have any record of owners bringing this issue to their attention and therefore no solution as to what it is and how to resolve it.

bull! I reported mine and they attempted to fix in the first 3 months of ownership

I had the same problem for half a year...it drived me crazy. I went to the dealer twice and they didn't fix it. After reading lots of forums, I bought WD40 white litium grease spray and I sprayed on the locking sistem of the doors...and it worked!!!! Now the car is quiet like in the first day. I recommend you to try this solution.

Edited by barqqsanu

Mine (vRS) had also an annoying, cracking sound from the B pillar (up, next to the seat belt fixing point?) , nobody could fix it....

It was hard to reproduce, but apparently it could be heard much frequently on bumpy roads, at low speed, when the car was 'bended' or some torque was on the chassis...

But once an old guy said, that it is not the B pillar, nor something inside the door, but a front door fixing problem, quiet common in vW Bora and some other VW cars. So he just applied some extra torque on the two/four?, door holding screws, and no more cracking sound from the B pillar... :clap:

Cant speak for all but my Octavia seems to be very temperature sensitive for rattles/squeeks.

When v cold I find that some trim rattles quite badly, when warm I find my auto dim mirror clicks when driving over bumps.

Thing that really gets on my nerves at the moment is that my Amundsen screen vibrates terribly at low revs where vibrations from the motor penetrate the cabin their worst. That might be one thing I might get looked at next time it goes in.

I agree with the seatbelt anchorage noises, I dont notice it alot on mine but it is probably more down to poor design.

Oh dear. Just booked mine in on 20th to have the dealer take a look at my VRS Estate. I thought it was where the B-pillar trim met the roof lining. However lately it got worse but seems to be coming more from the door frame.

Also got a rattle from passenger seat and a loose rear view mirror! Build quality hasn't improved over my Mk2 FL it seems!

• 4 weeks later...

Just did 600 miles journey on M4,M25,M20 and the noise is most definitely from the B Pillar and I am certain its from the drivers seat belt height adjuster.  I came across a Post that it sounds liker the buzzing of an insect and yep it is that.

Skoda UK just don't come across as being at all interested, which is shameful for a car that is not only brand new but built to order.....

The issue is Skoda UK will not allow the dealer to fit a replacement part (even just to fault check) unless the dealer states categorically that it is the part that is at fault.  What happened to fault diagnose.

The dealer just follows Skoda UK protocol (or is that cost saving)

Therefore no diagnose not part no fix and me stuck with a flaming noise right by my right ear.....

As stated earlier - Nice Car Shame about the Rattles,

I feel quite FOBED OFF (being polite) by Skoda UK comment they have supposedly asked their Network for any similar issues....

bull! I reported mine and they attempted to fix in the first 3 months of ownership

What did your dealer diagnose as the issue as I could bring that to the attention of Skoda UK

This sums up the Octavia Mk3 for me.

Great at the beginning but after 1-year I now have three distinct rattles (Driver B-Pillar, Instrument Cluster & Passenger A-Pillar/Window).

Not normally a problem for me as I just turn up the music but something passengers always comment on...

Guys...just try the white lithium grease on the locking mechanism...all noises will go away.

I can confirmed that it worked on mine Octy. This simple action brought back calm in the car :)

I came across a Post that it sounds liker the buzzing of an insect and yep it is that.

I have experiences this some days as well.. it can be best heard when starting gently (I have a diesel, maybe this magnifies the noise). After pressing hardly with my fingers over the b pillar, door panel, and instrument cluster noise has gone..

Maybe really a bee is present with the body work :D

My Vrs had an annoying rattle on the passenger side and it took me ages to find it.

It was the red bit of the seat belt clip the bit you push to release the seat belt on the front passeger side. It rattled, if you put the seat belt clip in it stopped. Dealer replaced the whole thing.  Failing that it could be the seat height adjuster lever, they have been know to rattle

Might be worth a look. Oddly rattles arn't always in the place you think they are

I appear to have the same in my vrs tsi hatch, now 3mnths old-1700 ish miles. B Pillar noise which is intermittent and usually over bumpy surfaces, low speeds. The way the suspension is though, i'm surprised it hasn't shaken it to pieces!

Will try the hinge torque and lock lubrication first before approaching skoda.

I've had the sunglasses rattle issue too.

My 2yr olds child seat also rattles :-(

Someone else mentioned interior mirror, rattle.

Adjusted mine the other day for the 2nd time since new and it now 'shakes' with the car depending on road undulations like the mirror has a kind of damper that has failed. Is this a common thing??

In the last 10 yrs, i've yet to drive a new mass production car that HASN'T rattled in some way

• Like 1

Mine rattles to. Drivers door Window seal creaks and clicks. MasterfIt technicians (comedy job title) could not find a problem as I doubt rattles manifest on the onboard diagnostic system. In fairness I'm not surprised it rattles having both front doors removed for paint repairs within first 4 months of ownership.

Still with all the to and fro from the dealer I'm on personal terms with all the staff.